Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Amex Question

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Amex Question

I've been improving my credit over the past year or so and got approved for a Wells Fargo CC: 3k CL last year;  BofA Cash Rewards:  1,500 CL late last year; and was just approved for an Amex PR Gold Card.  I applied for all the cards because I got pre approved offers from each one of the above.  I still have First Premier and 2 Cap1's.  I just got rid of Orchard Bank and BBRZMC!  I will get rid of the First Premier soon!

With all that said, I really want and Amex Blue revolver!  How should I proceed with getting this?  Do I wait for my PR Gold to age and wait for a pre approval?  I still have several baddies falling off later in the year and a bunch of INQ's.

Thanks.

Message 1 of 17
16 REPLIES 16
-Cain-
Valued Contributor

Re: Amex Question

Let PR Gold age, let INQs age, show usage on Gold.

Probably refrain from apping for anything new.

6 months-1 year of good history with your PR Gold should net you the Blue.
Message 2 of 17
-Cain-
Valued Contributor

Waiting until next January would get you history as well as a backdate to 1/2011. That's the best way to look at it.
Message 3 of 17
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks Cain.  The funny thing is when I got the card it said member since 2012, but when I registered online, it said I've been a member since 1992!  I had an Amex in 1992.  From what I understand, the new PR Gold will be backdated to 1992?  Does that change anything in regards to apping for Blue any earlier than 6-12 months?

Message 4 of 17
-Cain-
Valued Contributor

Oh Wow! Nice backdate!

That being the case, I will defer to others as to whether you'd still have to wait 6 months. I'd imagine AmEx would like to see current history with them though.
Message 5 of 17
Creditaddict
Legendary Contributor

if these 3 accounts above are the only INQ you have currently I would go ahead and risk it and apply for the blue now, if you get denied come back in 6 months after working the Gold.

If you don't want to risk inq wait 6 months but unless you are buying a house within next year, I would risk the inq!

Message 6 of 17
breakthecycle
Regular Contributor

I started with AMEX like you did I got a charge card last Jan., and then received another charge with them. I applied for Blue several months ago and was declined utilization wasn't ideal for them. I just got the Blue approval a few days ago after being with them for a year. My utilization now is around 9%. I also loved shredding those subprime cards like you are ready to do, it's a great feeling. 

Message 7 of 17
CS800
Super Contributor

I would wait 6 months and establish some history.

Message 8 of 17
pizzadude
Credit Mentor

Congrats on the approval !! I would agree with the above advice to wait 6 months or so before you apply for the Blue. Amex revolver cards are harder to obtain than their charge card products.
March2010 FICO® ~ 695 TU, 653 EQ, 697 EX
Message 9 of 17
RockinRay
Valued Contributor

@pizzadude wrote:
Congrats on the approval !! I would agree with the above advice to wait 6 months or so before you apply for the Blue. Amex revolver cards are harder to obtain than their charge card products.

+1 -

Ray

** Every Card has a Job, and Every Card does its Job **
Message 10 of 17
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.