Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Amex Question?

tag
BobbyJ
Frequent Contributor

Amex Question?

I was approved for the Amex Zync and PR Gold last week.  I received the PR Gold last Monday and the Zync today.  Should I cancel the Zync since I really dont plan to use it ?

Just want to get opinions on whether it is worth it to keep the Zync now that I have the PR Gold which is what I prefer.

Both cards backdated to 1985.  Yeah!!!!!

Thanks.

Fico 8 Scores: EX: 787 (6/25/21) EQ: 788 (6/12/21) TU: 750 (2/21/21)
Fico 9 Scores: EX: 799 (11/9/20) EQ: 794 (10/13/20)

Ch7 BK Filed on 10/13/2013 - Discharged 1/14/14

Amex Blue Cash Preferred $15K | Amex Gold Card | Citi Costco Visa $7700 | USBank Altitude Go Visa Sig $10K | USBank Cash+ Visa $8K | C1 Savor MC Elite $15K | C1 Venture One $10K | C1 Quicksilver Visa Sig $10K | C1 Quicksilver WMC $10K | Penfed Plat Rewards Visa $9,500 | Penfed Power Cash Rewards Visa $11K | Discover IT $7500 | USAA Pref Rewards Visa $5K | Penfed Path Visa $10K | Logix FCU Plat MC $12K | SDCCU Plat Visa $2,500 | Best Buy Visa $2K | Chase Amazon Prime Visa Sig $500 | Consumers CU Visa Cash Rebate $5K | PNC Points Visa $2500 | JCPenney $1,800 | Abound CU Plat Visa $5K | Lowes $7K | HSN Card $3K | Walmart MasterCard $2K | Walmart Store Card $2K | Kohls $1K | Target Red Card $800 | QVC Card $800
Message 1 of 26
25 REPLIES 25
Creditaddict
Legendary Contributor

Re: Amex Question

yes close, don't believe they waive the annual fee... even though small. no point.

I assume you applied for Zync thinking it was easier and then when approved applied for Gold because that is what you really wanted??

Perfect example of proof over and over again about the charge cards from Amex.

Message 2 of 26
BobbyJ
Frequent Contributor

Yes Credit, you are right.  Didnt think I would get approved for the PR Gold so went for the Zync. Amex Rep said since I was approved for the Zync he didnt think I would have any trouble getting the PR Gold and it was true!!!!  Instant approval within 5 minutes or re-apping over the phone.

Fico 8 Scores: EX: 787 (6/25/21) EQ: 788 (6/12/21) TU: 750 (2/21/21)
Fico 9 Scores: EX: 799 (11/9/20) EQ: 794 (10/13/20)

Ch7 BK Filed on 10/13/2013 - Discharged 1/14/14

Amex Blue Cash Preferred $15K | Amex Gold Card | Citi Costco Visa $7700 | USBank Altitude Go Visa Sig $10K | USBank Cash+ Visa $8K | C1 Savor MC Elite $15K | C1 Venture One $10K | C1 Quicksilver Visa Sig $10K | C1 Quicksilver WMC $10K | Penfed Plat Rewards Visa $9,500 | Penfed Power Cash Rewards Visa $11K | Discover IT $7500 | USAA Pref Rewards Visa $5K | Penfed Path Visa $10K | Logix FCU Plat MC $12K | SDCCU Plat Visa $2,500 | Best Buy Visa $2K | Chase Amazon Prime Visa Sig $500 | Consumers CU Visa Cash Rebate $5K | PNC Points Visa $2500 | JCPenney $1,800 | Abound CU Plat Visa $5K | Lowes $7K | HSN Card $3K | Walmart MasterCard $2K | Walmart Store Card $2K | Kohls $1K | Target Red Card $800 | QVC Card $800
Message 3 of 26
Anonymous
Not applicable

I didnt think they charged you if the card was never activated. Always thought Amex was on the pro rata system. If you dont plan on using the zync then cancle it. PR is a great card. Congrats!

Message 4 of 26
Creditaddict
Legendary Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

I didnt think they charged you if the card was never activated. Always thought Amex was on the pro rata system. If you dont plan on using the zync then cancle it. PR is a great card. Congrats!

They won't charge you if you cancel it... they will refund, pro rate if you keep for a bit.

Message 5 of 26
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Creditaddict wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

They won't charge you if you cancel it... they will refund, pro rate if you keep for a bit.

Ok thats what I thought happened. Thanks for the confirmation.

Message 6 of 26
boomhower
Valued Contributor

Didn't you get the 10,000 bonus points?  That's enought to pay the AF for four years.  I would just keep it and enjoy the added AAoA assuming it does improve it.  Just put something through it every now and again.

Message 7 of 26
Anonymous
Not applicable

I thought AmEx would not approve the same type of card within a 90 day period of each other, if approved (in this case a Charge Card) and that the second app for another Charge card would just be cancelled?

I've been told by AmEx that you can apply for, say, a Blue and a Gold at the same time, but if you app for a Zync and approved you have to wait 90 days to app for another AmEx Charge card and the same with the Blue type of card.

I guess this post clears up any misconception I had, either that or confuses me even moreSmiley Very Happy

Learning something new everyday (that's why I'm here, to learn).

Message 8 of 26
dalebb
Valued Contributor

@boomhower wrote:

Didn't you get the 10,000 bonus points?  That's enought to pay the AF for four years.  I would just keep it and enjoy the added AAoA assuming it does improve it.  Just put something through it every now and again.

+1

Message 9 of 26
dalebb
Valued Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

I thought AmEx would not approve the same type of card within a 90 day period of each other, if approved (in this case a Charge Card) and that the second app for another Charge card would just be cancelled?

I've been told by AmEx that you can apply for, say, a Blue and a Gold at the same time, but if you app for a Zync and approved you have to wait 90 days to app for another AmEx Charge card and the same with the Blue type of card.

I guess this post clears up any misconception I had, either that or confuses me even moreSmiley Very Happy

Learning something new everyday (that's why I'm here, to learn).

amen,,, tosses ur earlier post out the window,, but still true for the blues

Message 10 of 26
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.