cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Amex Randomly Closes Amex Green and Gold Charge Cards!

tag
CreditScholar
Valued Contributor

Re: Amex Randomly Closes Amex Green and Gold Charge Cards!

@NoNonsense wrote:

I accept you can say whatever you want about Amex actions on this issue, but RANDOM?  RANDOM?   Not at all.  That's 100% false.

+1. Nothing is random in cases like these.

People often say it's random because they feel like they've been victimized, but the reality is something happened to spook the lenders even if they're unaware of what they've done.

EX 798, EQ 789, TU 784
American Express Platinum (NPSL) || Bank of America Privileges with Travel Rewards Visa Signature - $23,200 CL
Barclays American Airlines Aviator Red World Elite Mastercard - $20,000 CL || Chase IHG Rewards World Mastercard - $25,000 CL
Chase Sapphire Preferred Visa Signature - $12,700 CL || Chase United MileagePlus Club World Elite MasterCard - $26,500 CL
Citibank Hilton Reserve Visa Signature - $20,000 CL || J.P. Morgan Ritz Carlton Visa Signature - $23,500 CL
Message 11 of 17
longtime_lurker
Valued Contributor

@grinlikechelsea wrote:

@NoNonsense wrote:

I accept you can say whatever you want about Amex actions on this issue, but RANDOM?  RANDOM?   Not at all.  That's 100% false.

I agree with this. AmEx does not randomly take actions against accounts for funsies. There was something that threw up a red flag (probably business expenses and AU use) and they closed it due to high risk.

Smiley Sad AmEx doesn't enjoy the occasional funsie? :'(

Current cards: MSUFCU Platinum, Amex PRG, Amex Surpass, Amex BCE, Citi Prestige, Citi Double Cash, Citi Premier, US Bank Cash +, Huntington Voice, AAviator, Sallie Mae, Discover IT, Chase Freedom TU:753 EQ Enhanced: 758
Message 12 of 17
gdale6
Moderator Emeritus

@longtime_lurker wrote:

@gdale6 wrote:

Precisely why I wont have an AMEX in my pocket. Closed due to one actually using the card, of course its a risk, this company should not even be around if they dont want to take risks. I have an AU on a M/C who uses it to the limit every month (3K) and pays it before stmt cycle, I charge 0 on it, have never been threatened with or received a letter of concern, going on 4 yrs now.,

I really think it's the fact they caught on to the business expenses on a personal card. Obviously your points remain valid, but considering that's against T&C, I can't really disagree with their conclusion

Yes, I do believe the charges should have been put on a business card, that may have been the real triggering factor.

Message 13 of 17
grinlikechelsea
Established Contributor

@longtime_lurker wrote:

@grinlikechelsea wrote:

@NoNonsense wrote:

I agree with this. AmEx does not randomly take actions against accounts for funsies. There was something that threw up a red flag (probably business expenses and AU use) and they closed it due to high risk.

Message 14 of 17
longtime_lurker
Valued Contributor

@grinlikechelsea wrote:

@longtime_lurker wrote:

@grinlikechelsea wrote:

@NoNonsense wrote:

WHAT. *calls up AmEx and cancels immediately* "Why are you cancelling your card today, sir?" "NO FUNSIES!"

Current cards: MSUFCU Platinum, Amex PRG, Amex Surpass, Amex BCE, Citi Prestige, Citi Double Cash, Citi Premier, US Bank Cash +, Huntington Voice, AAviator, Sallie Mae, Discover IT, Chase Freedom TU:753 EQ Enhanced: 758
Message 15 of 17
CreditDrama85
Established Contributor

i used to have the same attitude as some of these posters that Amex was justified until i received a letter from Amex a few years ago that they were closing my account (though i had never been late.) one of the things i loved about Amex was the spending ability on charge accounts which you simply can't get with a credit card usually. the annual fee and rewards were overrated IMO. because Amex seems to engage in AA more than many other creditors i dont know if i would ever apply for another once my scores have fully rebounded. I disagree with other posters saying running business transactions through a personal card is grounds for shutting it down, especially if its a sole proprietorship or partnership. Good luck OP maybe your mom may want to open a Barclays or Discover and add you as AU

Message 16 of 17
NoNonsense
Established Member

Just for the record, I am not saying Amex did it right or wrong.  I am saying, with 100% certainty, that it wasn't random.  The Lotto is random, that's not how Amex selected this account for closing.

Message 17 of 17
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.