Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Amex Rant

tag
Johnny_Favorite
Regular Contributor

Amex Rant

I'll admit, I jumped on the Amex bandwagon with the Delta card to get my foot in the door. So I'm reading about Amex policies more and more these days about people being declined at stores or buying something nice and getting a financial review. Then there's the whole "breaking the card in" you have to do when you first get it so that you can show them that you shop at Nordstrom sometimes. Also the story of the guy who used his card to pay a lawyer and got shut down.

I just have to say, I wish I could cuss on these forums because I would say that Amex's policies are horse manure. But I wouldn't say it nicely. My guess is that this Delta card will be used to buy a couple of donuts from time to time and then sit in my drawer. Yes, I should have known better and shouldn't have even applied. Talked to a few people about Amex on the business side and everyone I talk to is like, "Oh I hate Amex." They cite varioius reasons from having their spending limits cut to having to fax all sorts of crap.

Amex as a company can do what they want to do but running a business like a stuffy old miserly grandpa is not really going to make their products last as far as I'm concerned. I'm pretty sure that this company will eventually go the way of Diners Club. When you have your foo foo snout up in the air and don't trust your own customers with the limits YOU GAVE THEM, that's going to make people just not even want to use your card.

Oh yeah they give you great customer service supposedly. Big whoop. So you get a nice rep who tells you you've been declined at your family dinner at Olive Garden because you bought Ravioli when you normally order the Lasagna.... no thanks. I don't mind being watched by a card company for marketing purposes but I don't need some stuffy old company rep breathing down my neck, looking over my shoulder and seeing what I'm buying to judge whether or not they're going to approve me.

Rant over. And I feel better. haha.

Message 1 of 54
53 REPLIES 53
creditnocash
Valued Contributor

Re: LOL @ Amex

to each there own and amex is a beast on its own. i only have the zync and am a 21 year old worker/ student. i usually use my card at costco, bars, and some other stuff. 

i havent really bought anyting super nice but you know. 

for 6months + ive been good. "knocks on wood" 

Current: Fico ScoresEQ~706 TU~719 EX 709 4/28/23

Inquiries (24 Months): EQ 0 TU 0 EX 0| Most Recent: A LONG WHILE
Over 12 Months:0

2023 Goals:
Buy A Home
Earn Cash Back

Amex Zync(Unicorn)
Chase Freedom$1500
Discover IT$7,400
Citi DC $10,000
Citizens Mastercard$7,000

Message 2 of 54
Johnny_Favorite
Regular Contributor

Re: LOL @ Amex

@creditnocash wrote:

to each there own and amex is a beast on its own. i only have the zync and am a 21 year old worker/ student. i usually use my card at costco, bars, and some other stuff. 

i havent really bought anyting super nice but you know. 

for 6months + ive been good. "kocks on wood" 

Just wait until you are on a family vacation and decide to order a Champagne Brunch for you and your honey. "Oh I'm sorry sir, you don't normally order champagne"

Message 3 of 54
jsickz32
Valued Contributor

Re: Amex Rant

I got FRd for a cli. I got mad and closed my two charge cards. Im over it since they approved me for the SPG Smiley Happy. I use my amex anywhere i would use my other cards. Tomorrow my Amex and I are going to the "club".

If they were to deny a purchase then id use another card right away and move on.
Amex BCE (2500) / Amex SPG (4000) / Amex GoldPR / Merrill+ Visa siggy (5000) / BofA Amex (6000) / Bofa cash rewards (5000) / BofA Privileges Cash Rewards (5000) / Citi Forward (4400) / Citi DP (2000) / Chase Freedom (4000) / Chase CSP (5000) / Chase Hyatt (5000) / Discover IT (1700) / FNBO AMEX (3600) / NFCU cashRewards Visa signature (15000) / NFCU Flagship Visa signature (12500) / NFCU Navcheck (5000) / Nordstrom (500) / MetroCU Visa Elite (5000) / Walmart (4500) / Kays Jewerels (6600) / Kohls (300) / Macys Platinum (2500) / DCU platinum Visa (17500) / Citizens bank cash back (1100) / Bill Me Later (1631) / PayPal Smart connect (2200) / BestBuy store card (2000)
Message 4 of 54
navigatethis12
Valued Contributor

Did they actually request anything from you, or lower the credit limit; or are you just saying you don't  like their policies? I went through a financial review after I purchased about 2000 worth of stuff and the experience was very bad. It took quite a while to get the cards reactivated, and a few months later they lower a 10800 to 1000 for non use Smiley Mad.

They really are a "have me and be prestigious" company with not much to offer and treat innocent customers horribly.

Before anyone says that I was in love with them up until the incidents, I was not. I hadn't even had the cards one year when all of this happened. I never really liked them much but they had 3% on groceries, which was the highest around at the time with no fee.

Message 5 of 54
jsickz32
Valued Contributor

Meh banks are banks. They are not your best friends or anything like that. If they feel your butt is a risk they will cut you right then and there.
Amex BCE (2500) / Amex SPG (4000) / Amex GoldPR / Merrill+ Visa siggy (5000) / BofA Amex (6000) / Bofa cash rewards (5000) / BofA Privileges Cash Rewards (5000) / Citi Forward (4400) / Citi DP (2000) / Chase Freedom (4000) / Chase CSP (5000) / Chase Hyatt (5000) / Discover IT (1700) / FNBO AMEX (3600) / NFCU cashRewards Visa signature (15000) / NFCU Flagship Visa signature (12500) / NFCU Navcheck (5000) / Nordstrom (500) / MetroCU Visa Elite (5000) / Walmart (4500) / Kays Jewerels (6600) / Kohls (300) / Macys Platinum (2500) / DCU platinum Visa (17500) / Citizens bank cash back (1100) / Bill Me Later (1631) / PayPal Smart connect (2200) / BestBuy store card (2000)
Message 6 of 54
distantarray
Established Contributor

Amex is what it is, financial review should be a regular part of the credit application process, so I can't be mad at them for it. Their credit model is the best since they have the lowest amount of default rates in the credit world. They are generous with credit limits more than any other bank, and they have great customer service, but remember a over protective account is better than a under protective one.

Did you also know that Amex protects it's customers like no other? For instance my friend had his wedding at the Ritz. It was a $50,000 bill. They didn't provide the proper equipment requested, and few people got sick from the food. You know what? Ritz didn't want to take any responsibility. He was able to do a charge back for the full amount. 

Amex gives more power to the consumer than it does to a business, not many companies would go out of the way to push for you.

total credit limits $108,400 Credit scores Ex 728 EQ 738 TU 758
Message 7 of 54
SnackTrader
Valued Contributor

Now, perhaps some of the stories you are citing did occur to people.  But, rather than trying it out yourself and finding issues, you are going solely off of hearsay.  I'm 2+ months in an haven't received as much as a phone call from Amex.  Every purchase has gone through fine, and I intend to ask for a CLI tomorrow (will report more info then).  Internet forums have plenty of people who leave out "key" information, such as a collection just showed up on their report as they were requesting a $600 cash advance...hmmm.  Plenty of people in real life also leave out "key" information that would probably make you realize that Amex was just doing their job to protect themselves.  I tend to discount the stories I hear until they happen to me because I assume that as long as I am a responsible, law abiding, debt paying citizen that my creditors have nothing to worry about, and therefore I have nothing to worry about.  But, I respect your opinion and hope that you find another card that fits your needs.

In My Wallet: Amex BCP (12/12) $50,000, Chase Freedom (12/12) $16,500, Cap1 Quicksilver (6/12) $14,000, Barclaycard Rewards (5/13) $10,500, Citi Prestige (4/16) $30,000

Last App: June 27, 2015
Message 8 of 54
bluesnowman
Frequent Contributor

Amex has got to do what it has to do to protect themselves and their shareholders. They are a bank/finance company, not your friend that will lend you money. However, I did have an issue with a pair of sunglasses I bought a few weeks ago, (my baby bro for some reason decided to try to flush them down the toilet, long story short, it wasn't so great looking) and I asked Amex what I could do about this and they gave me money back. Most other companies probably would have favored the merchant IMO. Amex has been good to me anytime I had a question or any issue, and I am glad to be doing business with them. But then again...YMMV. 

Bank of America: Cash Rewards.- 4.2k. 4/25/12 (CLI Increase 6/15/13, CLI May of 2015, sept 2015), Citi: Forward- 4.5k. 10/27/12 (CLI on 2/8/14, SP, CLI on 9/26/15 sp). Discover: More- 7k, 10/27/12 (Increase 6/1/14, CLI in May of 2015, SP 9/2015) Amex: PRG- NPSL (closed 12/13/13). 11/24/12. Chase: Freedom. 5/1/13- 5k (EX CLI HP 9/2015) Southwest Rapid Rewards Plus.-3.6k. 6/15/13. Amex BCE-2k. 12/7/13. Amex SPG-5k 12/8/13 (CLI on 9/2015) Capital one VentureOne Visa Signature-10k (9/6/15). Citi AAdvantage Platinum Select World MasterCard-4K. Last App: 9/6/15. Total cl: 45,300
Message 9 of 54
Creditaddict
Legendary Contributor

@Johnny_Favorite wrote:

I'll admit, I jumped on the Amex bandwagon with the Delta card to get my foot in the door. So I'm reading about Amex policies more and more these days about people being declined at stores or buying something nice and getting a financial review. Then there's the whole "breaking the card in" you have to do when you first get it so that you can show them that you shop at Nordstrom sometimes. Also the story of the guy who used his card to pay a lawyer and got shut down.

I just have to say, I wish I could cuss on these forums because I would say that Amex's policies are horse manure. But I wouldn't say it nicely. My guess is that this Delta card will be used to buy a couple of donuts from time to time and then sit in my drawer. Yes, I should have known better and shouldn't have even applied. Talked to a few people about Amex on the business side and everyone I talk to is like, "Oh I hate Amex." They cite varioius reasons from having their spending limits cut to having to fax all sorts of crap.

Amex as a company can do what they want to do but running a business like a stuffy old miserly grandpa is not really going to make their products last as far as I'm concerned. I'm pretty sure that this company will eventually go the way of Diners Club. When you have your foo foo snout up in the air and don't trust your own customers with the limits YOU GAVE THEM, that's going to make people just not even want to use your card.

Oh yeah they give you great customer service supposedly. Big whoop. So you get a nice rep who tells you you've been declined at your family dinner at Olive Garden because you bought Ravioli when you normally order the Lasagna.... no thanks. I don't mind being watched by a card company for marketing purposes but I don't need some stuffy old company rep breathing down my neck, looking over my shoulder and seeing what I'm buying to judge whether or not they're going to approve me.

Rant over. And I feel better. haha.

I'm confused... Did you actually have something that you consider negative from Amex happen to you?  I have been reading and commenting on Amex "stories" for the last 8+ years....  I think 99% of it is "FLUFF" and over rated... Very few have been able to demonstrate that it was without a shadow of a doubt that it was because of "what ever reason they cardmember thought"  Believe me I have had more than a few declines at counter or payment requests mid cycle on charge cards and up and down credit lines, number of cards, and internal limits but in the end they have always been VERY nice and have told me what they need in order to change what the issue is at the moment and have had multiple times that I had cards released in under 60 seconds back to full charging privelages.

I have been on a business trip and planned to use my Macy's Visa that had $12k limit and $0 balance when I left... After breakfast in the layover airport location, when landed at destination and tried to rent the car DECLINED.  call and give travel plans and verify to unlock... next charge couple hours later, Declined... call get unlocked, go back in to store and pay, walk 10 feet and make another purchase about 5 minutes later DECLINED.... call and unlock go back in store and okay... next store DECLINED... now yes I am glutten for punishment sometimes, most wouldn't spend the kind of time on the phone it took me especially while at stores or standing outside but sometimes I just can't help myself.

Chase Southwest had $15+k Credit line also $0 balance, even called about traveling and granted first purchase on the trip was for $8k in Coach and they had to call for authorization (Which is at the check out which many of you all know is in the middle of the store (I'm kind of a who cares person if declined or needs authorization) but the cashier had to have a lengthy verification with Chase about 10-15 minutes and then I ended up having almost a 30 minute verification with Chase... I have to say out of ALL banks I have ever worked with I have NEVER EVER had such a thing happened... I mean I just don't eve know how to explain how many and how far back in life the questions were and it just got so so so crazy and finally she was like one more and then okay hand phone back and it was approved in seconds but that WORKED me and especially Coach! LOL

so yes I got off on a thing for a minute but the thing is I'm not sure Amex is that much odder and mostly I find them EASIER to fix what ever they want that caused it.... I think between seeing or hearing about famous wealthy people slap down a platinum or  black card and paying for private planes over $100k we hold amex to much higher thoughts of amazement then other cards and banks and therefor we over analyze a single "FR Story"  I personally think paying for taxes via Amex being a no no is silly because they are the ones advertizing or at least was back when I had a retail store... they offered bonuses to pay my quarterly state taxes and yearly federal.... If anything they probably have a way to run the numbers in the seceret formally in that computer of theirs to say okay taxes paid = oh yes this person has the income! LOL (kidding!) but still!

Message 10 of 54
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.