Amex Rant

tag
scenery_guy
Established Contributor

Re: Amex Rant

@Johnny_Favorite wrote:

@Cdnewmanpac wrote:

@Happychap wrote:

I agree with your rant.  I recently just survived a FR'd. I got FR a day or so after applying and sent them my entire life, including my children's and my wife's entire life records (literally).   Came out with a hardlimit on my platinum, as I expected from reading other posts. The process took about two weeks and was frustrating. Yes, the Customer service is good when your making claims for purchases or charge backs etc.  I'm not an Amex 'fan' like others on this forum, in fact  like many companies Amex employ a nice squad of bloggers and forum contributors to protect their name; so for people who seem to want to 'make love' with them I have to be a little suspiciousSmiley Indifferent

So yes, Amex is a an okay card but its not as reliable as the other cards in your wallet since you can't always count on the transaction always going through (as you mentioned). I still dread logging into my account each day incase I see the dreaded "your account is suspended please call...." message again... 

I would love to see you substantiate this claim. You have actual confirmation that Amex employs people to post on forums? Really? If not, how about you delete that part instead of insulting the members of this forum who have had good experiences with Amex by accusing them of being shills. 

I'm not sure I get this thread. It was started by someone who hasn't had a single negative experience with Amex, but is going to use the card only for donuts based on things he has heard or read? Do I have that right? I'm all for people posting their actual experiences, positive or negative. But this seems like a troll at best. 

I know I'm biased, because I've never had anything but positive experiences with Amex. They authorized an 11k charge 3 months after I got my zync, having never put more than 120 on it at a time prior. Each card I get has a better limit and they went so far in giving out credits for zync packs that I ended up with enough credits to pay the AF for another two years. Does that mean other people haven't had equally bad experiences? No. But posting your reaction to 2nd hand information doesn't really enhance the value of the forum and it causes needless conflict (and in this case, someone accusing Amex of paying for posts). Just my thoughts. Please continue...

There are definitely reps that protect their name. This is not running them through the mud, this is common knowledge. You only need to go to FlyerTalk to see them. When there is a problem, they go on there with damage control squad.

And yes I did have a negative experience just 10 minutes ago. Read my new thread.

You had a negative experience because you didn't give AMEX up to date contact numbers on a credit card app, they called your ex wife twice to verify. It's clearly your fault. Own it. You also started a thread about buying doughnuts on your new card to see if they suspend it or FR you over nothing but doughnut purchases. Sorry bro but you are stiring the pot here. Not really sure what you are trying to accomplish or contribute. We don't need to see someone go down in flames for whatever reason you have. It's not entertaining and it's not really sharing anything positive. 

Rant over. 

Message 51 of 54
gpfirestone
New Contributor

I'll tell you something that most people may never find out because they get angry too early.  I've been an Amex customer since 06 and I'm 29 now.  I started out with the Blue Cash Card and still have it to this day.  Over the course of these 7 years with Amex, I have opened a personal Gold card and Business platinum and use them heavily now.  When I first got the charge cards I could only spend $10,000 without having to make a payment but over time they increased it and now I'm around $100,000.  I just recently became a Plum Card holder and will likely have to go through the same growing pains.  Their credit, charge, and plum cards are all treated differently and even if you have $100,000 worth of credit with one type of card, they may not allow you to spend that much on the other card.  It is just the way they do business.  If you want to get to the promiseland with Amex, you really have to work your way up slowly.  Get a beginner card like a Gold/Green/BC and just hang on to it for a year or two before applying for something better.  Over time you will see your limits soar with what you spend in the event that  you need more than your initial limit.

:Capital One Spark Business $45k:::Chase Sapphire Preferred $30k:::Chase Amazon Visa $3k:::American Express BC $10k:::Chase Ink Plus $15k:::American Express Business Plum:::American Express Business Platinum::Citi Thank You Preferred $50k:::City Simplicity $10k:::REI Visa $10k::Capital One Quicksilver $15k:::American Express EveryDay $10k:::Wells Fargo Platinum Cash Back $10k:

FIA/BOA is the plague. AVOID THEM!
Message 52 of 54
Johnny_Favorite
Regular Contributor

Read the thread over again scenery guy. Amex called my ex wife out of the blue. I did not provide them with her number. They said they used a "database" to link me to that number. No attempt was made to reach me at my legit contact number which I provided on sign up. How bout you read the whole thread before you draw conclusions there Tex.

Message 53 of 54
icetrap06
Regular Contributor

Although the infamous Donut thread was pretty entertaining….I don't think the answer to your negative experience will be found in charging 100k (value based on approximation) in donuts over the course of a year.  IMO, If you did not provide your ex-wife’s contact information, I’m pretty sure they breached a regulation or two (privacy related) by contacting her in regards to your financial information.  That being the case, your better course of action is to report the issue to the Better Business Bureau, they will investigate and help you obtain resolution to your issue.

NFCU cashRewards (22k) | Discover IT (8k) | AMEX EveryDay (5k) | AMEX Delta Gold (5k) | CSP (5k) | Marriott Rewards Premier (5k) | Citi Hilton Reserve(5k) | AMEX SPG (2k)
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Scores: EQ - 670 | TU- 742 | EX - 691
Message 54 of 54
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.