Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Amex Recon Advice 7 years post bk

tag
sal2009
Established Member

Amex Recon Advice 7 years post bk

So I have been slowly but steadily increasing my credit.

I am 7 years and 2 days post bankruptcy ch7.  Nothing bad on credit report except for bk reporting. 

So yesterday, I decided to do another round of credit card applications.  I apped for:

Citi Visa Signature AAdvantage  APPROVED FOR $20,000

Citi American Express AAdvantage APPROVED FOR $20,000 (did 2 browser trick)

Chase Ink Bold: Pending...going to have to Recon on Monday when they open

I requested a CLI from Chase on my Sapphire Preferred on the same day HOPING that it will show up as 1 inquiry and was approved from base of $5000 to $15000 

American Express Premier Rewards Gold...Flat out declined

I applied for the Amex because i had read on here that some had gotten cards 7 years post bk.  Of note, I did include Amex in the bk for approx $3900.  What's interesting is that when I app'd last year and got declined, the rejection letter gave the bankruptcy as the reason...this time the only reason in the letter was "American Express previously cancelled your account."  So it seems to me that you might get approved after 7 yrs if you didn't include them in the bk and if you did, then you are on their blacklist.

Now...I'm looking for advice on how to get off it.  I've read on here that some people have had success with executive office vs new accounts.  Can you guys give me the phone numbers that you used?  perhaps more importantly, if you would PLEASE give me the names of the person that helped you...feel free to private message me if that make you more comfortable.  I would greatly appreciate it.

Other cards i have:

BMW Credit Card: $10000

Capital one:$2500

Chase Freedom: $1250

Chase Slate$500

Various store cards:  Bloomingdales, Sonystyle, Sleepys, Carecredit

Experian FICO: 737

Transunion: 710

Equifax: 714

Thanks everyone...glad to finally be getting some prime cards again.  Couldn't have done it without this site!

Message 1 of 27
26 REPLIES 26
LS2982
Mega Contributor

Re: Amex Recon Advice 7 years post bk

@sal2009 wrote:

I am 7 years and 2 days post bankruptcy ch7.  Nothing bad on credit report except for bk reporting. 

So yesterday, I decided to do another round of credit card applications.  I apped for:

I requested a CLI from Chase on my Sapphire Preferred on the same day HOPING that it will show up as 1 inquiry and was approved from base of $5000 to $15000 

I applied for the Amex because i had read on here that some had gotten cards 7 years post bk.  Of note, I did include Amex in the bk for approx $3900.  What's interesting is that when I app'd last year and got declined, the rejection letter gave the bankruptcy as the reason...this time the only reason in the letter was "American Express previously cancelled your account."  So it seems to me that you might get approved after 7 yrs if you didn't include them in the bk and if you did, then you are on their blacklist.

Now...I'm looking for advice on how to get off it.  I've read on here that some people have had success with executive office vs new accounts.  Can you guys give me the phone numbers that you used?  perhaps more importantly, if you would PLEASE give me the names of the person that helped you...feel free to private message me if that make you more comfortable.  I would greatly appreciate it.

Other cards i have:

Chase Slate$500

Thanks everyone...glad to finally be getting some prime cards again.  Couldn't have done it without this site!

CONGRATS on your app spree approvals!!!

EQ FICO 548 3/3/16
Message 2 of 27
amercnchopz34
Established Contributor

@sal2009 wrote:

Other cards i have:

Chase Slate$500

I am waiting till my bk 7 is 8 yrs old in june.....nothing bad execpt bk reporting....lmk what happens....very intersting......

Message 3 of 27
Revelate
Moderator Emeritus

Have to take the comments here with some skepticism. For every approval at the 7 year mark, there's probably 10 denials even on this forum.

More recently there have been some who were approved after 8 years but not all of then either. May have something to do whether an Amex account was listed in the BK or not.

Unfortunately there's not a lot you can do with Amex regarding recons; unlike other lenders there's no room to maneuver unless your credit report is inaccurate which doesn't apply to the BK in this case presumably.

Personally if I had never had an Amex previously I'd wait the year and try again.  Rockin approvals otherwise, congrats!

        
Message 4 of 27
sal2009
Established Member

Two more things I forgot to mention...

I've been an "additional cardholder/authorized user" on my father's amex delta card for the past 7 years....

Also, i tried the whole pre-paid amex thinking that might help as well....

apparently these things don't.

Message 5 of 27
trumpet-205
Valued Contributor

If you did include AMEX in your BK you are pretty much out of luck. You can improve your chance by paying off that CO, but it is still a no guarantee. AMEX only does recon when something on your CR is not accurate.

Message 6 of 27
Weights
Regular Contributor

Congratuations on your approvals, and best of luck on your reconsiderations!!

Far as Amex, the woman who I worked with last year from their executive offices in seeking a reconsideration for my app to the Blue Cash card was so rude that it completely turned me off to them. She acted like I was crazy for even thinking there was a chance, despite the fact that everyone else I applied to (Chase, Barclays, Discover) not only approved me, but also gave me increases when I asked. I had about a 740 Fico at that time as well with no baddies reporting, yet they still wouldn't approve me. Their main reason for turning me down was that my student loan balances were too high from where they first were, despite the fact that I just finished a year ago, no other debt, have a good job with good income now, and have made all my payments on time since I've been out (never mind I didn't have a single baddy reporting and had an AAoA ~3 years). Not only that, a lot of retailers I've come across don't seem to take them. However, if you still want to try, which I can't blame you for since now the inquiry is showing, call their executive offices b/t M-F 8am-6pm EST and just wait for someone to answer. Explain to them that you were declined and that you would like a manual review of your application for possible reconsideration. The last gentleman I spoke to in their executive offices offered to do this for me as well to if I want to reapply at some point (still upset about the experience with the other one though, so we'll see). I'll PM you the individuals names that I'd recommend speaking to. Again, good luck to you. Hopefully, you'll have a more pleasant experience with them than I myself did. 

Message 7 of 27
kimmiller112
Frequent Contributor

My bankruptcy was discharged 7 years ago.   have no lates and I pay in full every month.  I make over $70,000 a year and they will not touch me, even on recons.  I've even tried for Zync, even though I want the BCE or BCP.  I am just going to have to wait until it is at least 8 years old.  But I will probably end up waiting until after I buy a house, which is targeted for spring/summer of 2014.  After the mortgage starts reporting, the bankruptcy will be very close to falling off.

Just as a side note, not once did anyone in the executive offices of Amex even want to talk to me.  A few very rudely asked me how I even got the phone number and a few said that I have reached the wrong department/or just couldn't help me.  All gave me the phone number for new accounts.  Every time I called, I asked if I could explain the details of my bankruptcy and all said no.  The bankruptcy is the only reason I get when my app is declined.  I think that with more and more people who join these forums and the more people who call the executive offices for recons, the more unlikely they are to help.

Barclays USAir World MC $8300 - DCU $7500 - USAA World MC $7000 - PayPal Extras MC (GE) $5500 - Chase Saphire Preferred $5000 - Discover It $6000 - Barclays Sallie May $2700 - Chase Freedom $1000 - Capital One $8500 (business) - store cards ranging from $500-$9500
Message 8 of 27
Weights
Regular Contributor

I hear you. Every other creditor I've spoken to has always been professional and courteous with me; like you, that's not what I experienced at Amex.  In fact, I was so turned off by the lady's decorum towards me that I wrote a personal, certified w/return receipt letter to the CEO at his personal residence (using real estate public records) about the experience. I was polite, but firm about my less than pleasing experience with his company and with the executive rep with whom I interacted. That's when I got a call back from a different rep at their executive office who was friendlier, but still didn't really help me.  His only solution was for me to reapply again in the future and he may see about further assisting me in getting an approval. I still haven't decided yet whether or not I'll try later.  If this is their attitutde towards merchants when attempting to negotiate terms of their account with them, it's no wonder why so many retailers don't accept them

Message 9 of 27
trumpet-205
Valued Contributor

AMEX has a strict policy with their applicants, which is why AMEX has the lowest default rate during recession.

As for store not accepting AMEX, that is because AMEX on average charges 1% higher swipe fee than Visa/MC/Discover.

Message 10 of 27
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.