Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Amex Reinstatement

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Amex Reinstatement

This sounds kinda .... lame, I apologise in advance for my stupidity

I closed my True Earnings Amex card about 40 days ago, after learning about the awesome (it really is) Citi Costco Anywhere card now I kinda regretted closing the TE card. I called and asked if I can reopen the closed account. The rep asked about my address, phone and income information and told me I was "approved" for the reinstatment and the card will be mailed to me within 7-10 business days with the credit line.

Hopefully it won't be a "new account: on my credit report.

Just to share.

Message 1 of 6
5 REPLIES 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Amex Reinstatement

Congrats! I don't think I've ever heard of anyone getting an account reopened after they closed it; besides when a lender took AA and then reversed their decision. That's good to know. You'll have to update us once it reports and let us know if it reports as the old account or a new one.

Message 2 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

Congrats! I don't think I've ever heard of anyone getting an account reopened after they closed it; besides when a lender took AA and then reversed their decision. That's good to know. You'll have to update us once it reports and let us know if it reports as the old account or a new one.

Will do. Also will report if they hard pulled.

Message 3 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

It shouldn't be a hard pull and it will retain the old information. It will be a new card number though. I did this with my ED last year. Glad you could get it back!

Message 4 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

At the suggestion of an AMEX CSR, I closed my senior gold card last year after getting the ED.  It hurt my score (it had 24 years of history but I didn't want to pay the $65 fee) and I tried to get it back.  My request was denied as my score dropped to 667 (it was 675 when I got the ED in May).  After hours on the phone and getting bounced around all over the world, I finally spoke to an American supervisor who reinstated my gold card.  Now I have the pay over time option and travel pay option with a 35K limit at 19%. I'll probably never use those features, but along with getting 1% MR points with the lowest AMEX AF for a gold card and its long history, I have a card that has some value. My credit score is now 706 through AMEX.  My starting and current limit on the ED is $15K @20%-still at 0% promo interest rate.  So reinstatement is definitely possible but it has to be done quickly, often with much persistence.  Again, no hard pull was done and my open date was backdated again to 1991.  

Message 5 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks for all the input!

Message 6 of 6
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.