Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Amex Returned Payment

tag
Skye12329
Valued Contributor

Amex Returned Payment

So got an email regarding DH Amex card. The email states that a payment was returned but i only have made payments through Discover's Bill Pay. I have had no issues until today. So now the account is frozen we need to call in the morning to remove the flag.

However im confused, how might this affect the future? Because i looked over all of my bank statement and transactions. Everything says paid i have confirmation numbers and not once did my account go negative nor show a returned payment. The first rep said well it was a payment on the 28th. I said No the email states it was a payment of 125.00 which only happened on the 18th and it shows cleared. He says oh yeah thats the one. Umm Why am i getting an email now? My bank shows all positive funds and no returns. So Amex is claiming that my bank cleared the returned payment transaction? But a returned payment never happened.

Edit: Chatted with a new rep and they are stating a payment that was supposed to be made on the 31st, but Discover stopped it for some reason. So more investigating i go. New rep said he added notes and noticed i have made over $1000+ in payments this month on both of these new accounts that had cleared and said i should have no issues going forward. But as usual what one rep might say another might have different info. So just gathering info from the peanut gallery. Also the rep said i can request an increase on the line every 60 days. New rep also mentioned that issues usually arise if people avoid the notifications, but since i contacted them ASAP there should be no issues going forward. Time will tell. 

My big concern is how will this affect anything? The rep said it shouldn't be any issue just a flag removal but i am not so sure. 

BK7 - 2/21
Cap1 QS - 2k (4/21)
Mission Lane - 4k (11/21)
Venmo - 900 (11/21)
SavorOne - 2500 (12/21)
VentureOne - 2000 (7/22)
Message 1 of 7
6 REPLIES 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Amex Returned Payment

My advice: stay on top of it. I'm wondering if they had a system glitch. It can happen. Please keep us posted.

Message 2 of 7
Skye12329
Valued Contributor

@beautifulblaquepearl wrote:

My advice: stay on top of it. I'm wondering if they had a system glitch. It can happen. Please keep us posted.

Thanks i chatted with a new rep and got some pretty good info. I am feeling a bit less sick now. I bolded the edited info for ease. 

BK7 - 2/21
Cap1 QS - 2k (4/21)
Venmo - 900 (11/21)
SavorOne - 2500 (12/21)
VentureOne - 2000 (7/22)
Message 3 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Skye12329 wrote:

@beautifulblaquepearl wrote:

Thanks i chatted with a new rep and got some pretty good info. I am feeling a bit less sick now. I bolded the edited info for ease. 

I read the updated information. Make sure you keep track of responses, dates, times, and names of the individuals you speak with at American Express. CYA is my motto!

Message 4 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

So long as you don't do over 30 days late, no impact to your FICO. Question is only whether they will start charging interest on your account and your relationship with them.

My advice, if there is any dispute over whether you paid, and you can afford to, pay again. Then go through the accounting to reconcile things. Better if they wind up owing you rather than the other way.

If course if the amounts are large that is not always possible but for $125 I would pay first and ask questions later. A lot of questions...
Message 5 of 7
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:
So long as you don't do over 30 days late, no impact to your FICO. Question is only whether they will start charging interest on your account and your relationship with them.

My advice, if there is any dispute over whether you paid, and you can afford to, pay again. Then go through the accounting to reconcile things. Better if they wind up owing you rather than the other way.

If course if the amounts are large that is not always possible but for $125 I would pay first and ask questions later. A lot of questions...

+1

You really never know how Amex reacts.  I accidentally "paid" my wife's card with a bank account that had been closed for 15 or more years.  When the bank told Amex "No such account" they sent email suspending her on-line payment capability (but not spending capability, which seems odd!) unless she immediately made a working payment which we did.   I was expecting more hassle but it was painless.

As an aside, the old account was from a bank now owned by Bank of America.   In the past, BoA would sometimes take the charge as a request to reopen the account, then charge large fees for the NSF attempt.   They say that they have stopped this, but in this case they couldn't find the account, so didn't have to deal with that!

Message 6 of 7
Skye12329
Valued Contributor

Well the balances aren't high, i have been making multiple payments a month to keep them down. So the 125 payment would have been half of the balance. I did notice that they took the money out automatically today just as the email stated they would and it went through no issue. Now i am on the phone seeing if i can use my card yet.   

Well this is a pain, i keep getting bounced around. You need to call "Returned Payments dept."  then they transfer me. No you need to call "Customer Service." No you need to call "Security Dept. for ID Verification" On hold i go. 

Edit Final: After 10 mins on hold, a rep answered. She mentioned there was a flag and that i could either wait 7-14 days for them to verify the payment went through and cleared or they could call Discover. I had them call, they connected me with Discover and we verified the payment should have cleared without issue and Discover shows that it did. Rep removed the flag. I think Amex CS is good, my only issue is, i still think Discover is better and i like the press 0 for rep. 

BK7 - 2/21
Cap1 QS - 2k (4/21)
Venmo - 900 (11/21)
SavorOne - 2500 (12/21)
VentureOne - 2000 (7/22)
Message 7 of 7
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.