Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Amex Revolver vs Charge

tag
vygotsky
Contributor

Amex Revolver vs Charge

I have BCE but I'm trying to justify getting a charge card, PRG > Senior Green. My questions is do you get exclusive/additional Amex Offers & Benefits from having a charge card that other member without a charge card, such as myself are not getting even though we are all Amex members.

FICO 733 (Discover)
Message 1 of 8
7 REPLIES 7
ojefferyo
Valued Contributor

Re: Amex Revolver vs Charge

If you don't need it then don't get it, no point in having a card that will be SD most of the year

Amex Platinum, Amex Hilton HHonors Surpass, Chase Southwest Premier, Chase Marriott Rewards Premier, Discover IT, Sony Visa, Barclay Arrival+ MC, Cabela Visa, Walmart SC, Amazon SC, Kohls, Diners Club Premier, PayPal Credit, PenFed Platinum Reward Visa, PenFed PLOC, Chase Ritz Carlton, Citi TY Premier, Amex BCP, Discover Miles, Care Credit, Blue Nile SC, iComfort SC, Cap1 Venture, Chase Hyatt, Lowes, US Bank Cash+, Citi Costco Visa
Message 2 of 8
vygotsky
Contributor

I think the charge cards look nice though Smiley Tongue sue me but just want to justify the AF

FICO 733 (Discover)
Message 3 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

PRG:

$100 cash back on air incidentals from July, if you fly at all, that is basically free cash

$50 premium roadside assistance, if you don't already have RA from some other source

That brings you to within $45 of the annual fee. Can you get $45 back from the hotel collection? Iffy. But it sure is a pretty card!

I am looking at it too but reminding myself that I need to stay in the garden because I already have 5 INQ's in the last 6 months and those are the only 6 months of credit history I have.

Message 4 of 8
taxi818
Super Contributor

@ojefferyo wrote:

If you don't need it then don't get it, no point in having a card that will be SD most of the year

+1. I'm canceling my green as I can't justify the AF. 

Message 5 of 8
NRB525
Super Contributor

OP, you only have three cards. The PRG is no AF for the first year, right?

Until you actually use a card, particularly one you are not familiar with, and work through the details of how it operates, what benefits it might have for you, you won't really know if you want to keep it, if it is worth the AF to you.

thus, as with the common question here "will I qualify for the card?" you really won't know until you get and use the card.

In other words, if you are really interested in it, go for it.

High Bal Jan 2009 $116k on $146k limits 80% Util.
Oct 2014 $46k on $127k 36% util EQ 722 TU 727 EX 727
April 2018 $18k on $344k 5% util EQ 806 TU 810 EX 812
Jan 2019 $7.6k on $360k EQ 832 TU 839 EX 831
March 2021 $33k on $312k EQ 796 TU 798 EX 801
May 2021 Paid all Installments and Mortgages, one new Mortgage EQ 761 TY 774 EX 777
April 2022 EQ=811 TU=807 EX=805 - TU VS 3.0 765
Message 6 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

You do not get any extra benefits or anything just by having an amex charge card.

@vygotsky wrote:

I have BCE but I'm trying to justify getting a charge card, PRG > Senior Green. My questions is do you get exclusive/additional Amex Offers & Benefits from having a charge card that other member without a charge card, such as myself are not getting even though we are all Amex members.

Message 7 of 8
takeshi74
Senior Contributor

@vygotsky wrote:

All the info is on their site.

Instead of picking a card and trying to justify it, determine your specific needs/wants and then use that to select cards that suit you.

Why are you considering the PRG?  If only for apperance then you have to determine if that justifies the AF.  People justify things for all sorts of reasons that may or may not be valid for the next.  If you're expecting earth shattering offers from the PRG you'll probably be disappointed.

Again, don't go about it backwards and use your needs/wants to find the cards that suit you.  Run the numbers for your spend.  Make a pros and cons list.  Try to be objective about it versus relying on appearance, "prestige" and emotional factors.

Message 8 of 8
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.