Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Amex Revolvers - Sub 700 Scores

tag
Cdnewmanpac
Established Contributor

Re: Amex Revolvers - Sub 700 Scores

I was approved for hilton surpass with 674. Income >100k, DTI 28%, Zync x 4 mos. Initial CL 1000. I have 3 COs from 2006 (reporting as 2007, but I'm disputing), a paid collection for one of the COs and a paid student loan previously in default all on EX. AAoA 6yrs, Oldest account 11.5 years. 4 inq at time of app.

Side note: They pulled EX for the approval, but had been softing TU for several months (no EX softs). My TU doesn't have the bad student loan and has only 3 of the COs. Also has a year higher AAoA due to selective reporting of my student loans. So I keep wondering if they actually approved me based on TU report, then pulled the EX post-approval.

In wallet: Ink Plus 10k, AMEX TE 25k. In bag: CSP 16k, USAA WMC 15k, Hyatt 13k, United MPE 12k, AMEX HHonors 3k. In SD: Cap 1 QS 5k, Discover IT 7k. FICO 08 says my EQ is now 844, was 510 in 2010.
Message 11 of 24
Jake0215
Frequent Contributor

@Cdnewmanpac wrote:

I was approved for hilton surpass with 674. Income >100k, DTI 28%, Zync x 4 mos. Initial CL 1000. I have 3 COs from 2006 (reporting as 2007, but I'm disputing), a paid collection for one of the COs and a paid student loan previously in default all on EX. AAoA 6yrs, Oldest account 11.5 years. 4 inq at time of app.

Side note: They pulled EX for the approval, but had been softing TU for several months (no EX softs). My TU doesn't have the bad student loan and has only 3 of the COs. Also has a year higher AAoA due to selective reporting of my student loans. So I keep wondering if they actually approved me based on TU report, then pulled the EX post-approval.

It's posts like this that frustrate me. I've had my zync for almost a year now, ex score is in mid 700's with a decent income. Util is around 3%. I still can't get approved for anything else. All cr's are totally clean. AAoA 4 yrs. oldest is 10 years. I know it's my inquires holding me back but honestly, (no offense intended) who is the bigger risk?

Starting Score: 617 EQ 10-17-11
Current Score: EQ 767 TU 769 EX 749 (all FICO but who really knows?)
Goal Score: 800

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 12 of 24
Anonymous
Not applicable

I was approved for 7.5k CL for BCE with EX Fico of 687. Had Zync for almost 2 years (run about 2k-2.5k a month through it)

Message 13 of 24
CreditEd
Regular Contributor

Also trying to get a Starwood PG and had an initial denial last month. At the time of submittal I had 8% util,  EXP score of 699, +100k income and recent platinum upgrade. Fortunate I had a CO deleted on 8/11 leaving me with no bads at all now. I sent the deletion letter along with a reconsideration letter outlining why I thought that they were "premature" in their decision based on the reasons in the denial letter they sent me. Will see how it goes. 

Faxed the recon info last week...

@Jake0215 wrote:

@Cdnewmanpac wrote:

It's posts like this that frustrate me. I've had my zync for almost a year now, ex score is in mid 700's with a decent income. Util is around 3%. I still can't get approved for anything else. All cr's are totally clean. AAoA 4 yrs. oldest is 10 years. I know it's my inquires holding me back but honestly, (no offense intended) who is the bigger risk?

NPSL              $25k            $25k              $23k              $22k               $16k              $12k              $10k            $6.5k
Message 14 of 24
rtw
Established Contributor

Thanks! Appreciate the information.

Starting Score: EX: 575 (PSECU 5/2/12) TU: 582 (3/6/12) EQ: 664 (4/27/12)
Current Score: EX: 699 (PSECU 06/04/14) 702 (my FICO 08/05/14) TU: 699 (08/01/14) EQ: 675 (07/08/14)
Goal Score: 720
20K PSECU 7/12 | 12K USAA 9/12 | 11K BOA 1-2-3 9/12 | 9K Citi HHonors 9/12 | 8.5K Citi AAdvantage 5/08 | 5K Chase Sapphire Pref. 9/12 | 3.8K Barclays USAir 7/12 | 6K Walmart Dis. 11/12 | 1K Amex SPG 11/12 | 2K Amex BCP 1/13
Message 15 of 24
CreditEd
Regular Contributor

@CreditEd wrote:

Also trying to get a Starwood PG and had an initial denial last month. At the time of submittal I had 8% util,  EXP score of 699, +100k income and recent platinum upgrade. Fortunate I had a CO deleted on 8/11 leaving me with no bads at all now. I sent the deletion letter along with a reconsideration letter outlining why I thought that they were "premature" in their decision based on the reasons in the denial letter they sent me. Will see how it goes. 

Faxed the recon info last week...

@Jake0215 wrote:

@Cdnewmanpac wrote:

BTW, CO was from 6/2011 and had been PIF since 7/11. I fought to get it removed via a letter through BBB. The collection agency wouldn't do anything via GW letter.

NPSL              $25k            $25k              $23k              $22k               $16k              $12k              $10k            $6.5k
Message 16 of 24
Cdnewmanpac
Established Contributor

No offense taken, but to be honest, you have no idea whether I'm a higher risk than you. You know my EX fico and yours. The fact that I have a large mortgage from WF private mortgage, have had mortgages from prime lenders for over 10 years, had never missed a single payment on anything until or since 2006, have a visa signature from Chase, a world mc from USAA, a personal loan from USAA, over 100k of student loans that have been paid back within the last 10 years, all except the perkins loan with perfect payment, a history of charging up to 15k/month on my zync, etc. doesn't show up in a score. I had problems paying my debts for 6 months 6 years ago, but zero problems before or since. Perhaps Amex, Chase, USAA, Discover and Wells Fargo took that into account when approving me.

@Jake0215 wrote:

In wallet: Ink Plus 10k, AMEX TE 25k. In bag: CSP 16k, USAA WMC 15k, Hyatt 13k, United MPE 12k, AMEX HHonors 3k. In SD: Cap 1 QS 5k, Discover IT 7k. FICO 08 says my EQ is now 844, was 510 in 2010.
Message 17 of 24
Jake0215
Frequent Contributor

If that's the case good for you, however, post the whole story, not one that highlights the fact that u got an Amex revolver with a bunch of negative marks on your report. The point is that most people with sub 700 scores would be wasting a hard pull. Way to go on all your awesome approvals... Your case clearly makes you an extreme outlier. The point of my post was to stop giving others false hope.

Starting Score: 617 EQ 10-17-11
Current Score: EQ 767 TU 769 EX 749 (all FICO but who really knows?)
Goal Score: 800

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 18 of 24
suebee123
Frequent Contributor

I got a charge card in Oct 2011 and applied in July  for SPG and Delta and got approved for both.  My experian fico was 675.

Credit limit on SPG was 5000 and Delta was a pathetic 1000. 

Current: EQ Fico (700), EX Fico AMX (681) TU Fico Walmart (711) MyFico TU (708) Vantage: TU 803, EX 777, EQ 789
Goal: 700+ across the board.
Message 19 of 24
CreditScholar
Valued Contributor

@Jake0215 wrote:

@Cdnewmanpac wrote:

Well, in the eyes of Amex you're the bigger risk as evidenced by his approval and your denials.

Amex is a fairly conservative company so if you know that inqs are holding you back, the answer should be fairly self-evident. Relax on the apps and if you still want them, try again once the inqs have fallen off your report.

Income and charge card usage also plays a large role in their decisions. The fact that he only had a 1000 CL with a 6 figure income shows that he barely scraped over the line. With an income of less than 6 figures, he would have likely been denied.

EX 798, EQ 789, TU 784
American Express Platinum (NPSL) || Bank of America Privileges with Travel Rewards Visa Signature - $23,200 CL
Barclays American Airlines Aviator Red World Elite Mastercard - $20,000 CL || Chase IHG Rewards World Mastercard - $25,000 CL
Chase Sapphire Preferred Visa Signature - $12,700 CL || Chase United MileagePlus Club World Elite MasterCard - $26,500 CL
Citibank Hilton Reserve Visa Signature - $20,000 CL || J.P. Morgan Ritz Carlton Visa Signature - $23,500 CL
Message 20 of 24
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.