Did you mean: 

Amex Revolving Credit Cap

tag
Kenny
Moderator Emeritus

Re: Amex Revolving Credit Cap

@MrCollector wrote:

@nyancat wrote:

I guess I don't understand why anyone cares about APR on cards like these? Other than 0% offers, these are all TERRIBLE cards to actually borrow money on. I couldn't care less if the APR was 400%, I'd never dream of paying it either way.

I don't borrow money on cards, but if you feel you need to, get something like a Barclaycard Ring!

Just because you can afford to PIF every month doesn't mean everyone can. If that were the case, there would only be charge cards.

And everyone doesn't want to deal with Barclays!

And while I appreciate the comment, for me it's not about carrying the balance but just a general continuation of trying to have the best line up I can possibly have. I'd like to see how low I can get my APRs, how high I can get my CLs, and how high I can get the score. Etc, etc. 

Tried back again, and asked about my BCE.. brought it down from 13 to 10. Will try again in november to see how low I can go then. Smiley Happy

Message 21 of 26
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

@MrCollector wrote:

@nyancat wrote:

I guess I don't understand why anyone cares about APR on cards like these? Other than 0% offers, these are all TERRIBLE cards to actually borrow money on. I couldn't care less if the APR was 400%, I'd never dream of paying it either way.

I don't borrow money on cards, but if you feel you need to, get something like a Barclaycard Ring!

Just because you can afford to PIF every month doesn't mean everyone can. If that were the case, there would only be charge cards.

And everyone doesn't want to deal with Barclays!

That wasn't quite what nyancat said.  The point is that (good) reward cards usually have APRs that are higher than other cards.   So if carrying a balance is going to be frequent (rather than just a possibility in an emergency) it MAY make sense to use other cards, as the higher APR will cost more than the rewards gained.

Message 22 of 26
nyancat
Established Contributor

@longtimelurker wrote:

That wasn't quite what nyancat said.  The point is that (good) reward cards usually have APRs that are higher than other cards.   So if carrying a balance is going to be frequent (rather than just a possibility in an emergency) it MAY make sense to use other cards, as the higher APR will cost more than the rewards gained.

EXACTLY THIS - the rewards are far outweighed by the higher APR of good rewards cards. E.g. the best Delta Gold rate is 15.24% (I got 19.24%). Barclaycard Ring is 8% for everyone. If you're going to carry the balance, that FAR outweights the Delta miles.

American Express Blue Cash Everyday - $11,000; American Express Platinum Cashback Everyday - £3,000; American Express Rewards Credit Card - £7,500; Aqua Reward Mastercard - £3,500; Bank of America Travel Rewards - $5,000; Barclaycard Freedom Rewards - £3,500; Citi Forward - $5,800; Discover It - $10,000; Halifax Clarity - £1,500; HSBC Platinum with Rewards - $5,000, MBNA Everyday Plus - £3,500
Message 23 of 26
Kenny
Moderator Emeritus

If I'm going to carry a balance it's going to be on a 0% promo rate. Ring or not. :-/
Message 24 of 26
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

@KennyRS wrote:
If I'm going to carry a balance it's going to be on a 0% promo rate. Ring or not. :-/

MrCollecter's comment was that not everyone has that choice

Message 25 of 26
nyancat
Established Contributor

s

@KennyRS wrote:

Agreed, but a lot of times people whose financial situation make them feel a need to borrow don't qualify for those offers.

American Express Blue Cash Everyday - $11,000; American Express Platinum Cashback Everyday - £3,000; American Express Rewards Credit Card - £7,500; Aqua Reward Mastercard - £3,500; Bank of America Travel Rewards - $5,000; Barclaycard Freedom Rewards - £3,500; Citi Forward - $5,800; Discover It - $10,000; Halifax Clarity - £1,500; HSBC Platinum with Rewards - $5,000, MBNA Everyday Plus - £3,500
Message 26 of 26
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.