cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Amex SPG: Backdating if Amex sells us to Chase?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Amex SPG: Backdating if Amex sells us to Chase?

I'd expect to lose the backdate and pick up the actual open date. However, I'd wait and see what happens with the Costco card over the next couple months before making any assumptions.
Message 11 of 17
CreditCuriosity
Moderator Emeritus

Wonder if Amex has to sell portfolio to Chase even or if they might just decide to keep it?  Kinda like Barclay's and City w/regards to AA. Not sure Amex wants to give up that card as they have lost a few other big partners recently as we all know

Message 12 of 17
PointLager
Established Contributor

Would there be any antitrust issues here with chase having such a dominant market share of hotel credit cards if they do take legacy SPG accounts?

Marriott/Ritz
IHG
Fairmont
Hyatt

Chase seems to like exclusivity. Compare chase with citi/Amex. Both have Hilron cards.

Altbough whose pick would this be?

Those of us who are renewing now would have to pay yet another Amex SPG fee for the 2017-2018 term if we want to see what's going to happen to the accounts.

Would this affect churn-ability of Marriott card then? Would need to close it and start the 24m clock w
Chase.

Also if transferred Chase would have to take the full limit so those of us with significant chase CLs already maybe negatively affected future approvals.
Message 13 of 17
Open123
Super Contributor

Two possible scenarios:

1.  Amex keeps the SPG as a legacy Marriott card, not unlike Barlcays Aviator.

2.  The entire portfolio is sold to Chase, not unlike the Costco portfolio sold to Citi.

For Option 1 - For those who find value in the combined entity, keep the card and continue earning rewards.  Otherwise, close it, since it's taking up valuable revolver space.

For Option 2 - Cancel Amex, and app for the Chase for a bonus.  If allowed the transfer, then you'll likely not earn a bonus.

In either scenario, I'm assuming the merger will complete.  I've moved on already and have (1) stopped using my SPG, (2) trying to bring my SPG points to 100K asap.  While I may not mind risking 100K on SPG suddenly disallowing Airline (or, removing the bonus) transfers, I certainly will not on more.

In either case, it's best to have ZERO SPG during conversion.

Message 14 of 17
creditguy
Valued Contributor

Amex will probably just replace the SPG with another card, they can't afford to lose any more cardholders or maybe they won't, I don't know, after all this is just all speculation and I know as much as anyone here, which is really not much.
Message 15 of 17
PointLager
Established Contributor

What's the story behind Amex vs Citi Hilton cards? Was either issuer exclusive at one point?

If Amex keeps a Marriott card they may mix up the earning structure to differentiate themselves from Chase

Given the choice I don't think that Amex will sell the portfolio because the SPG customer base is huge and given the larger footprint of the merged MR folks will want to keep the card since it will be hard to avoid MR hotels for most of us whose Corp insists on them
Message 16 of 17
Anonymous
Not applicable

It's 2016. What's this backdate you're speaking of...?

Message 17 of 17
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.