Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Amex SPG card

tag
red259
Super Contributor

Amex SPG card

I'm trying to lay out my long term credit card plans as to what I want to apply for and when etc. I do want to get in with Amex at some point and I am very interested in travel rewards. It seems like the SPG may be a good card due to the transferability of their starpoints etc. My understanding is it may be a bit tougher than some of the other revolvers to obtain. If I wanted to apply for another amex first to make sure I got my foot in the door (and then go for the SPG) what card would pair well with the SPG? Do the rewards all go into the same account or are the SPG points kept separately? For example, I am looking for a combination like a Freedom/CSP. 

;
Starting Score: EQ: 714, TU 684
Current Score: EQ: 725 7/30/13, TU 684 6/2013, Exp 828 5/2018, Last App 8/5/17
Goal Score: 800 (Achieved!) In garden until Sepetember 2019
Message 1 of 7
6 REPLIES 6
drinkthekoolaid
Valued Member

Re: Amex SPG card

Their charge cards are generally easier to get and are a good way to get your foot in the door. For the next 6 moths or so and use it heavy and then apply for a revolver of your choice. That's what I would do. Of course make sure everything else looks good on your credit profile when you do apply for the revolver. 

AMEX BCE - $27,000 ~ Chase Sapphire Preferred VISA SIGNATURE- $24,000~ AMEX Platinum -$NPSL ~ Citi Diamond Preferred $10,000
USAA MASTERCARD - $10,000 Commerce Bank Visa $8,000~
USAA Student VISA - $1,000 ~ Chase Freedom - $500
Message 2 of 7
red259
Super Contributor

@drinkthekoolaid wrote:

Their charge cards are generally easier to get and are a good way to get your foot in the door. For the next 6 moths or so and use it heavy and then apply for a revolver of your choice. That's what I would do. Of course make sure everything else looks good on your credit profile when you do apply for the revolver. 

Yea, I have seen that advice about getting a charge card first and I was declined for one like two months ago due to lack of history, so I was thinking about waiting till my cards have aged over a year and then applying straight for a revolver as I am not sure how an amex charge card would benefit me if I am able to get a revolver. Option B is going back to Amex with six-seven months of active credit history and applying for a charge card just so they can get to know me for the next six months and then going for the revolver, but again if I am able to get a revolver after a year of active credit history then I don't see the point. Of course I could go for the PRG and then cancel it when the AF becomes due after I have obtained the revolvers.  

;
Message 3 of 7
scenery_guy
Established Contributor

If you are considering the SPG wait a little while as the bonus offer will be going up from 25K to 30K. It will be a limited time so if you think you can swing it go for it soon as I doubt it will be that way for more than a month. 

Message 4 of 7
red259
Super Contributor

I would love to, but I'm in the garden so I will have to wait and hope it comes back around at a future date.

;
Message 5 of 7
LearningMoreAboutCredit
Frequent Contributor

@red259 wrote:

I'm trying to lay out my long term credit card plans as to what I want to apply for and when etc. I do want to get in with Amex at some point and I am very interested in travel rewards. It seems like the SPG may be a good card due to the transferability of their starpoints etc. My understanding is it may be a bit tougher than some of the other revolvers to obtain. If I wanted to apply for another amex first to make sure I got my foot in the door (and then go for the SPG) what card would pair well with the SPG? Do the rewards all go into the same account or are the SPG points kept separately? For example, I am looking for a combination like a Freedom/CSP. 

Well, since you're in the garden take the time to assess your credit to determine if anything is holding your scores down.  Although some have been approved with scores similar to yours, it would be prudent to wait until you reached around 730 on EX which AMEX likes to pull (others have got AMEX to pull other reports but they wanted to pull my EX report only so YMMV).  At that time, if you're interested in two revolvers go for BCE/BCP followed by SPG.  I applied days apart for the BCE & SPG and was approved for both (AMEX stated my score was 746 and I had about 5 inqs at the time of app).  As for the points, I'm still getting familiar with the reward structure so unfortunately I can't answer that.

ETA:  I also have heard if timed correctly you can get 2 cards with 1 pull on the same day, however, didn't work for me as I had my report frozen and provided my PIN to further process app.

Any advice given is always YMMV...

Current FICOs: 740+ across the board | Goal: >760 FICO | Total CLs: $63.3k/$60k Goal | Utilization: 19% | Last App: 05/01/2014 | INQ: EX: 10, EQ: 8, TU: 5, All Expire 06/2016; No Collections/Charge Offs/BK's | AAoA: 7yrs.
| All Reports Frozen!!! | No Apps til 12/2015 | Homeowner since: 06/28/13 | White Whales: Marriott Rewards, Discover IT, Sallie Mae WMC, Sams MC
Message 6 of 7
red259
Super Contributor

Yea the 699 was after 3 recent inquiries so I am hoping it will rebound nicely as these accounts age, 

;
Message 7 of 7
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.