Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Amex SPG dropping forex fee!

tag
longtime_lurker
Valued Contributor

Re: Amex SPG dropping forex fee!

Now I'm curious if the Surpass will go up to $95 to match Citi's Reserve. 

If it does, hopefully it a) removes FTF and B) introduces another benefit.

Hmm...

Current cards: MSUFCU Platinum, Amex PRG, Amex Surpass, Amex BCE, Citi Prestige, Citi Double Cash, Citi Premier, US Bank Cash +, Huntington Voice, AAviator, Sallie Mae, Discover IT, Chase Freedom TU:753 EQ Enhanced: 758
Message 11 of 18
red259
Super Contributor

@CreditJim wrote:
The news I think quite a few of us SPG cardholders have been hoping for, I just noticed that Amex are revamping the SPG card with no forex fees, adding worldwide free Boingo hotspots and in-room free premium internet at SPG properties (although most will already get that anyway).

Excellent news, glad to be able to use my favorite card on my travels now too.

Yes, I saw unconfirmed rumors about these changes a few weeks back, but didn't post it because there was no official confirmation. Now that we have something official I must say it is about time the spg got rid of the FTF. It was the most ridiculous fee to have on a credit card that is designed to be used iat a hotel chain with locations around the world. Now people may actually use this card on their international stays!

;
Starting Score: EQ: 714, TU 684
Current Score: EQ: 725 7/30/13, TU 684 6/2013, Exp 828 5/2018, Last App 8/5/17
Goal Score: 800 (Achieved!) In garden until Sepetember 2019
Message 12 of 18
CreditJim
Established Contributor

@red259 wrote:

@CreditJim wrote:
The news I think quite a few of us SPG cardholders have been hoping for, I just noticed that Amex are revamping the SPG card with no forex fees, adding worldwide free Boingo hotspots and in-room free premium internet at SPG properties (although most will already get that anyway).

Yes, I saw unconfirmed rumors about these changes a few weeks back, but didn't post it because there was no official confirmation. Now that we have something official I must say it is about time the spg got rid of the FTF. It was the most ridiculous fee to have on a credit card that is designed to be used iat a hotel chain with locations around the world. Now people may actually use this card on their international stays!

Exactly, I normally use my SPG card for all spending except Freedom / Discover categories and I've just got back from a month long trip overseas where I didn't spend a single cent on my SPG card because most of my other cards don't have a FTF. It sucks about the AF increase but I'll be keeping both of mine. The business version with no charge for additional users is still good, saves me a lot giving them to my employees vs having a biz Plat and having to pay for each employee card.

Quicksilver 51k | Discover It $45k | Bonvoy Business $38k | Lowe's $35k | Costco $33.5k | SWACU $30k | Ink Preferred $28k | USAA Rewards $25k | Ink Cash $22.5k | Ink Preferred $22k | Amex Blue Business Plus $17k | Freedom Flex $16k | Freedom $14k | CSR $10k | Amazon Store $10k | Amazon Business $3k | REI $3k
Message 13 of 18
red259
Super Contributor

@CreditJim wrote:

@red259 wrote:

@CreditJim wrote:

Exactly, I normally use my SPG card for all spending except Freedom / Discover categories and I've just got back from a month long trip overseas where I didn't spend a single cent on my SPG card because most of my other cards don't have a FTF. It sucks about the AF increase but I'll be keeping both of mine. The business version with no charge for additional users is still good, saves me a lot giving them to my employees vs having a biz Plat and having to pay for each employee card.

The biz version is better and they just added lounge access to it as well. I'm not happy about the AF increase, although my AF is due to hit this month so if I get a decent retention offer I will have another year to decide if I want to pay the higher AF.I want to pick up the business version and cancel the personal card eventually, but since I have like 34k overall credit with amex (with a recent increase of 10k) I am a bit reluctant to pull the trigger on the business app. Also, I am waiting for th 30k signup offer to come around. 

;
Starting Score: EQ: 714, TU 684
Current Score: EQ: 725 7/30/13, TU 684 6/2013, Exp 828 5/2018, Last App 8/5/17
Goal Score: 800 (Achieved!) In garden until Sepetember 2019
Message 14 of 18
WLRK11
Regular Contributor

Starwood (SPG) AMEX has eliminated FTF & hiked annual fee!

Looks like AMEX and Starwood *finally* eliminated foreign transaction fees (FTFs), but the hiked the annual fee from $65 to $95! Boingo Wi-Fi is also free for cardholders. Do you think the the annual fee increase is justified?
Age: 20s | AAoA: 2 yrs | FICO Scores: 700s | Inq: EX: ?, EQ: ?, TR: ? | GARDENING AS OF 06/2014

Message 15 of 18
pennccrn
New Contributor

Re: Starwood (SPG) AMEX has eliminated FTF & hiked annual fee!

Yeah, I'm just not sure about the AF increase Smiley Sad I really, really like this card - I usually use it as my go-to card. Since my AF got charged back in April, I think I should be good until next April. I guess I'll see if I get any use out of it this next year to make on AF hike is worth it.

On another note, this is my only AmEx card but its also my highest limit card, so I'm reluctant in closing it. Should I think about opening another (AmEx or other issuer) non-fee card just in case I have to close this one down?

Thanks, everybody!

Discover It 12.5K; AmEx SPG 17.5K; Arrival+ WE BarclayCard 18K; BankAmericard Cash 10.5K; Citi Double Cash 8.1K; Credit Union Card 5K; Target Redcard 1K

Starting Score: TU 620 EX 535 EQ 615
Current Score: TU 818 EX 815 EQ 807
Goal Score: 800

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 16 of 18
DigitalArk
Valued Contributor

I am currently paying Boingo Mobile, which costs $7.95/mo. Getting this card is totally worth it for me.

I was just approved w/ 10K limit few hours ago! Happy!! Smiley Happy  I can't wait to receive my card!!

Message 17 of 18
noobody
Established Contributor

just got my replacement card, it is so pretty
EX819 1HP|TU797 1HP| EQ(Fico8 BankCard)841
Message 18 of 18
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.