Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Amex SPG with EMV Chip

tag
SMDLiquid
Regular Contributor

Amex SPG with EMV Chip

Just got my new SPG card and to my surprise it has an EMV Chip. Now only if they would of sent it with the correct MSD Smiley Frustrated

Chase Freedom | Chase Freedom Unlimited | Chase Hyatt | Chase Sapphire Preferred AU | Amex EDP AU | Amex SPG | Citi Prestige | Citi AAdvantage Executive | AAdvantage Aviator Red |

FICO: Experian 821 | TransUnion 825 | Equifax 830 | Last App: 08/28/2017
Message 1 of 9
8 REPLIES 8
nyancat
Established Contributor

Re: Amex SPG with EMV Chip

Why is this a surprise? All Amex credit/charge cards and the majority of all major bank credit cards in the US currently shipping are chip cards. We can literally be counting in weeks until most credit transactions in the US are chip on chip.
American Express Blue Cash Everyday - $11,000; American Express Platinum Cashback Everyday - £3,000; American Express Rewards Credit Card - £7,500; Aqua Reward Mastercard - £3,500; Bank of America Travel Rewards - $5,000; Barclaycard Freedom Rewards - £3,500; Citi Forward - $5,800; Discover It - $10,000; Halifax Clarity - £1,500; HSBC Platinum with Rewards - $5,000, MBNA Everyday Plus - £3,500
Message 2 of 9
Berk
Established Contributor

The big WooHoo will be when they go to Chip n PIN instead of the Chip n Sig that they are now.

Message 3 of 9
WLRK11
Regular Contributor

@SMDLiquid wrote:

Just got my new SPG card and to my surprise it has an EMV Chip. Now only if they would of sent it with the correct MSD Smiley Frustrated

Congrats on your SPG! It was my first prime revolver and would be my everyday card if AMEX would ever give me a CLI. Smiley Frustrated

Since this is your first AMEX (AUs don't count), I have to ask: Are you aware of the infamous AMEX 3x CLI?

Age: 20s | AAoA: 2 yrs | FICO Scores: 700s | Inq: EX: ?, EQ: ?, TR: ? | GARDENING AS OF 06/2014

Message 4 of 9
JoshuaHolySpirit
Frequent Contributor

That's great.

My SPG is also on the way.

Thanks for the heads up on EMV.

Capital One QS1, Capital One Journey, Williams-Sonoma Visa, Amex Travelocity, Chase Slate, Amex SPG, Amex Blue Sky, Bank of America Travel Rewards, JCPenney...and more ( Holy Spirit rocks-!! ) TU-Fico-777
Message 5 of 9
SMDLiquid
Regular Contributor

@WLRK11 wrote:

@SMDLiquid wrote:

Congrats on your SPG! It was my first prime revolver and would be my everyday card if AMEX would ever give me a CLI. Smiley Frustrated

Since this is your first AMEX (AUs don't count), I have to ask: Are you aware of the infamous AMEX 3x CLI?

I am aware of the 3x CLI but really don't want to push it to 27.9K I will probably ask for 20K. Also they need to get rid of the foreign transaction fee this is a travel card.

Chase Freedom | Chase Freedom Unlimited | Chase Hyatt | Chase Sapphire Preferred AU | Amex EDP AU | Amex SPG | Citi Prestige | Citi AAdvantage Executive | AAdvantage Aviator Red |

Message 6 of 9
mongstradamus
Super Contributor

@Berk wrote:

The big WooHoo will be when they go to Chip n PIN instead of the Chip n Sig that they are now.

I think the big woo hoo will be when majority of these amex cards drop FTF, they are travel cards for cryign out loud why do you have to have FTF. No other cards are like that. 

EX Fico 804 11/16/16 Fako 800 Credit.com 11/16/16
EQ SW bank enhanced 11/16/16 839 CK fako 822 11/16/16
TU Fico discover 10/19/16 814 Fako 819 Creditkarma 11/16/16
Message 7 of 9
SMDLiquid
Regular Contributor

@mongstradamus wrote:

@Berk wrote:

I think the big woo hoo will be when majority of these amex cards drop FTF, they are travel cards for cryign out loud why do you have to have FTF. No other cards are like that. 

Going to Europe in 2016 & I can't use the SPG because of the FTF 

Message 8 of 9
mongstradamus
Super Contributor

@SMDLiquid wrote:

@mongstradamus wrote:

@Berk wrote:

Going to Europe in 2016 & I can't use the SPG because of the FTF 

Well guess you can use the trusty CSP for that trip :-) or QS if you want cash lol

EX Fico 804 11/16/16 Fako 800 Credit.com 11/16/16
EQ SW bank enhanced 11/16/16 839 CK fako 822 11/16/16
TU Fico discover 10/19/16 814 Fako 819 Creditkarma 11/16/16
Message 9 of 9
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.