cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Amex Scrooge - Panics on Black Friday, Cuts Credit Lines TODAY! Amex Ruins X-Mas!

tag
KingAdrock
Established Contributor

Re: Amex Scrooge - Panics on Black Friday, Cuts Credit Lines TODAY! Amex Ruins X-Mas!

@Anonymous wrote:

would you cancel the revolving account and just keep the charge card? or just sockdraw the revolving one.

Sockdrawer it. Except in the case of an AF, closing usually hurts more than it helps you. However, sockdrawering the card only to use it for a pack of gum or a soda every 3-4 months hurts the CCC more than closing. At that point it's costing them money to keep the account open; which I'd say is perfect if you're currently angry at said CCC. Smiley Very Happy

Message 41 of 94
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Amex Scrooge - Panics on Black Friday, Cuts Credit Lines TODAY! Amex Ruins X-Mas!

@Anonymous wrote:

I HOPE they go out of business and that they are the first card company to really go under and take a fall in this recession.  

I'm with ya on that one!!! 

Message 42 of 94
Anonymous
Not applicable

I have added to my original post a Black Friday update.  Read it if you want to see how quickly Amex is going off the deep end. 
Message 43 of 94
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

How many reading here have 750+ FICOs and never kept a CC balance and always PIF?.

Dh has 12 year history, always PIF's and has 800 scores across the board. He is against CC debt, with that said he let Chase go a few years back when they decided to up his interest rate. He paid it and closed it the same day. It didn't tank his scores--he had other cards and because he PIF's his utilization was unaffected.

Just wanted to give you a picture of someone with great scores whose only debt is a mortgage, I understand your frustration, DH was upset that Chase would up his interest rate--obviously it didn't affect him here or there, but he felt like he was wrongfully being targeted. He felt like he was the ideal customer--truly banks love and hate him. They love him because they know he will pay his bill, hate him because they make no money off of him.

Message Edited by miahmarie on 12-02-2008 08:40 AM
Message Edited by miahmarie on 12-02-2008 08:41 AM
Message 44 of 94
MidnightVoice
Super Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

How many reading here have 750+ FICOs and never kept a CC balance and always PIF?.       

Credit card companies call us "Deadbeats" - famous joke, guy gets a letter from his CCC "Due to your excellent credit history with us and the fact that you pay in full every month, we are closing your account."

The slide from grace is really more like gliding
And I've found the trick is not to stop the sliding
But to find a graceful way of staying slid
Message 45 of 94
Anonymous
Not applicable

So true Midnight!
Message 46 of 94
cobaltnv
Established Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

He felt like he was the ideal customer--truly banks love and hate him.  They love him because they know he will pay his bill, hate him because they make no money off of him. 

The banks do make money off him. Every purchase made on a credit card has a % fee attached to the retailer. It is all about risk management. While credit card companies make a lot of money off people who carry a balance they are also a larger risk.Those of us who pif each month are no nearly as much of a risk and the ccc still make $$$ (maybe not as much). 

TU 810: EQ 813: EX 814 (9/16/09--Loan officer pull)

Helpful Threads
Frequently Requested Threads
Understanding your Fico Score
Message 47 of 94
Anonymous
Not applicable

I have 3 Am Ex accounts, 2 over 15 years old, one about 10 years old.  About 3 weeks ago I got a letter that my CL on my Optima acct (zero balance) was reduced from $15,000 to $500, and that I would no longer be allowed deferred charges on my Am Ex gold (balance varies from $2000-$8000. My AmEx gold business (zero balance) seems not be affected, at least not yet.   The reasons cited were "late pays, excessive use of credit, negative public record information, too many credit inquires" They said their information came from Equifax. I freaked out and pulled an equifax report, and there was nothing on it that confirmed the 'reasons' offered by AmEx; no late pays ever, one credit inquiry in 12 months, etc, less than $10,000 CC debt.   I called AmEx every day for 5 days to try to find out what was going on- I was more disturbed about the reasons they gave for reducing my credit, than I was about the fact that they did it,  I was never able to talk to anyone who could explain this to me, every time I called I spoke to people in India who kept repeating that I need to get all 3 credit reports, (I did, still nothing negative on any of them) and when I continued to object they promised to have someone call me (no one ever did) I have pretty much given up on pursuing this, I just don't have time to play this game right now- but I am totally P.O'd that they would offer fake reasons for reducing my CL.  Has anyone here been able to talk to anyone in AmEX who has offered a reasonable explanation for this, and have any of you been given 'fake' reasons for their decision, i.e. 'late pays' when none exist?
Message 48 of 94
notmyname
Regular Contributor

I haven't had this experience, however it seems many people here have. Considering the our economic circumstances I am sure it is not personal and is an action that is caused by internal company decisions based on their circumstances, NOT YOURS.

I am sorry for you and anyone that truly doesn't deserve this. (there are some who do not have clean records such as yours and still do not understand AA )

I hope you will be able to tighten your financial practices until the national economy heals and all of the erratic actions by all companies, not just AmEx, will cease.

Good luck,

NMN

The untruths that they are using against you can not be defended. Also, I find that customer care from India and other offshore locations is so detrimental to a variety of businesses in this country. It would be interesting to know the dollar loss because of the ineptitude in having these services so located and the decision to do so. I have stopped using a lot of businesses because of the unintelligent responses to the simplest of needs.

@Anonymous wrote:
I have 3 Am Ex accounts, 2 over 15 years old, one about 10 years old.  About 3 weeks ago I got a letter that my CL on my Optima acct (zero balance) was reduced from $15,000 to $500, and that I would no longer be allowed deferred charges on my Am Ex gold (balance varies from $2000-$8000. My AmEx gold business (zero balance) seems not be affected, at least not yet.   The reasons cited were "late pays, excessive use of credit, negative public record information, too many credit inquires" They said their information came from Equifax. I freaked out and pulled an equifax report, and there was nothing on it that confirmed the 'reasons' offered by AmEx; no late pays ever, one credit inquiry in 12 months, etc, less than $10,000 CC debt.   I called AmEx every day for 5 days to try to find out what was going on- I was more disturbed about the reasons they gave for reducing my credit, than I was about the fact that they did it,  I was never able to talk to anyone who could explain this to me, every time I called I spoke to people in India who kept repeating that I need to get all 3 credit reports, (I did, still nothing negative on any of them) and when I continued to object they promised to have someone call me (no one ever did) I have pretty much given up on pursuing this, I just don't have time to play this game right now- but I am totally P.O'd that they would offer fake reasons for reducing my CL.  Has anyone here been able to talk to anyone in AmEX who has offered a reasonable explanation for this, and have any of you been given 'fake' reasons for their decision, i.e. 'late pays' when none exist?

Message 49 of 94
haulingthescoreup
Moderator Emerita

I would have a whole lot more tolerance for all this if they would just have the courtesy and the honesty to say, "Due to the current financial climate, we have found it necessary to reduce our customers' available credit. We regret having to do this, and we wouldn't have done so if it were not necessary. We hope that you will remain cardmembers during this time, and we look forward to being able to restore your line when the economy recovers."

You don't have to get someone from the PR department to write something like this; just be honest, and treat others as you would like to be treated.
* Credit is a wonderful servant, but a terrible master. * Who's the boss --you or your credit?
FICO's: EQ 781 - TU 793 - EX 779 (from PSECU) - Done credit hunting; having fun with credit gardening. - EQ 590 on 5/14/2007
Message 50 of 94
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.