Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Amex Sign up Bonus Question

tag
kchengg1
Contributor

Amex Sign up Bonus Question

Hi guys,

I applied for AMEX PRG back in March 2014 and got the offer for 50k points to upgrade it to plat, so I pulled the trigger in September 2015.

I got the 50k points after a 3k spend and now I realize how much I miss the point multipliers on the PRG compared to the Plat card.

I want to get the AMEX PRG again, but not without a signup bonus. Can I sign up for the AMEX PRG again and get the bonus now? Or, since I've previously owned the card, am I not eligible?

Or should I just downgrade my Plat to PRG and then pull the trigger for the $350 AF Citi Prestige (since I have a citigold account at the moment for MS purposes.)

Last App: 7/1/2016
AMEX PLATINUM (NPSL) | AMEX EveryDay Preferred | SPG Personal & Biz | Amex Everyday | Citi AAExecutive| Citi AA Plat | Citi Prestige | Citi Thank You Premier | DISCOVER IT | BOFA Cash Rewards Visa Signature | Alaska Personal & Biz | Amex Plat Biz | Amex Biz Gold
Message 1 of 5
4 REPLIES 4
OmarGB9
Community Leader
Super Contributor

Re: Amex Sign up Bonus Question

Unfortunately I don't think you could get the bonus again on the PRG, as Amex has a once a in a lifetime rule for bonuses.

Last App: 1/10/2023
Penfed Gold Visa Card

Currently rebuilding as of 04/11/2019.

Starting FICO 8 Scores:

Current FICO 8 scores:

Message 2 of 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

You applied for and likely would've been given a welcome offer of some sorts with the Premier Rewards Gold Card. With that said, you would not be eligible for another welcome offer on the PRG or Platinum Card.
Message 3 of 5
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

@kchengg1 wrote:

Hi guys,

I applied for AMEX PRG back in March 2014 and got the offer for 50k points to upgrade it to plat, so I pulled the trigger in September 2015.

I got the 50k points after a 3k spend and now I realize how much I miss the point multipliers on the PRG compared to the Plat card.

I want to get the AMEX PRG again, but not without a signup bonus. Can I sign up for the AMEX PRG again and get the bonus now? Or, since I've previously owned the card, am I not eligible?

Or should I just downgrade my Plat to PRG and then pull the trigger for the $350 AF Citi Prestige (since I have a citigold account at the moment for MS purposes.)

As others have said, the once per card per lifetime rule SHOULD prevent you getting a bonus again, although if you can afford the HP you could always try.   Probably best to downgrade the Plat (after taking advantage of all the airline credits if you can).  And go for the Prestige if the earning and partners are good for you

Message 4 of 5
takeshi74
Senior Contributor

@kchengg1 wrote:

You probably won't get the bonus unless you receive a targeted offer.  Carefully ressearch and consider before applying in future.  It's no secret that the Platinum isn't all that great a card for accruing MR points.

@kchengg1 wrote:

Not enough info to make a reccomendation on the Prestige.  Based on your prior activity I'd again recommend carefully reesearch before applying.

Message 5 of 5
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.