Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Amex Soft Pull CLI Question

tag
John02
New Contributor

Amex Soft Pull CLI Question

I've read about the Amex 3x CLI and so have been looking to do that for my Amex SPG card. I've had the account over 6 months (I didn't try for a CLI earlier within the first window because I have another Amex I got a CLI for during that time period), so I'm ready to request an increase. I've been using the SPG quite a bit and either paying it off or making solid payments consistently throughout that time. I've also been paying off other debts to position myself for a good time to pull. However, it's the timing that I have a question on.

I read that you can check your Experian credit report to see when the last time Amex did a soft pull against you and that they will be using the information from that report for their CLI. Is this correct or will they pull a new soft inquiry when requesting the CLI?

Either way I just checked my Experian report and I see a couple of Amex soft pulls from 3/27. Unfortunately, the date when everything had posted and I was "ready" to request a CLI was around 4/3, so they pulled the report a few days before some of my lower balances posted. If I want them to use the newer information, do I just have to keep waiting for them to pull a new report, and if so how long should that be (it's already over a month)? Or after a certain amount of time passes will they just pull a new one anyway when requesting a CLI?

Thanks for any input!

Message 1 of 6
5 REPLIES 5
-Wade-
Valued Contributor

Re: Amex Soft Pull CLI Question

@John02 wrote:

I've read about the Amex 3x CLI and so have been looking to do that for my Amex SPG card. I've had the account over 6 months (I didn't try for a CLI earlier within the first window because I have another Amex I got a CLI for during that time period), so I'm ready to request an increase. I've been using the SPG quite a bit and either paying it off or making solid payments consistently throughout that time. I've also been paying off other debts to position myself for a good time to pull. However, it's the timing that I have a question on.

I read that you can check your Experian credit report to see when the last time Amex did a soft pull against you and that they will be using the information from that report for their CLI. Is this correct or will they pull a new soft inquiry when requesting the CLI?

Either way I just checked my Experian report and I see a couple of Amex soft pulls from 3/27. Unfortunately, the date when everything had posted and I was "ready" to request a CLI was around 4/3, so they pulled the report a few days before some of my lower balances posted. If I want them to use the newer information, do I just have to keep waiting for them to pull a new report, and if so how long should that be (it's already over a month)? Or after a certain amount of time passes will they just pull a new one anyway when requesting a CLI?

Thanks for any input!

How long have you had the card???

"Garden Club Member " Old user name newportguy*** Current Score: myFico EQ - 830 (07/16/2015) Discover TU Fico - 833 (09/03/2016) EX Fico - 839 ( 09/01/2016 ) ******* Amex - BCP 11.5K * Discover - IT 43.5 K * U.S. Bank Cash + Visa Signature 15.3 K * PenFed - Cash Rewards 15K *PenFed Power Cash 19K ** Amex - GDSM 10K ******FICO 800 Club Member ******* EQ 830 *** TU 833 *** EX 839 ***
****** Last HP & New TL was March 6th 2014 *** GOAL: No HP's or New TL's for 2 + years and 840's Scores ******
Message 2 of 6
John02
New Contributor

Since last September.
Message 3 of 6
John02
New Contributor

Does anyone know if they may only pull once every several months instead of more often? If so would they do a new SP for a CLI?
Message 4 of 6
pizzadude
Credit Mentor

@John02 wrote:
Does anyone know if they may only pull once every several months instead of more often? If so would they do a new SP for a CLI?

It will vary ~ some people are only softed on EX, others, like me, on EX and TU ( and maybe EQ ).  

For me their pulls are almost monthly, so my SP requests are only an month or so behind.

I don't think they'll do a new SP for a CLI.   You can certainly ask, but there's always a possibility it will turn into a HP.

March2010 FICO® ~ 695 TU, 653 EQ, 697 EX
Message 5 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

@pizzadude wrote:

@John02 wrote:

It will vary ~ some people are only softed on EX, others, like me, on EX and TU ( and maybe EQ ).  

For me their pulls are almost monthly, so my SP requests are only an month or so behind.

I don't think they'll do a new SP for a CLI.   You can certainly ask, but there's always a possibility it will turn into a HP.

I know this is from last May, but tomorrow is my 61st day for hopefully an approved 3xcli on my ED card.  The last time that Amex soft pulled EX was January 27th, before some disputes updated.  They also soft pulled TU on February 10th, so things were showing updated there except for a major JCrew cli that didn't post until three days afterward.  Is it safe to say that they will use the TU softpull or do they ONLY use EX softpulls for decisions regarding the cli?

Message 6 of 6
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.