Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Amex Soft Pull (Pre-Screen) Response - Baffled By It

tag
jbh
Established Contributor

Amex Soft Pull (Pre-Screen) Response - Baffled By It

So basically Amex has a section on their site where you put in your SSN and (without a hard pull) they try to find a match for you. They couldn't find anything. I figured maybe they wanted a higher score but then I read the 3 possible reasons for no matches:

# We were unable to locate your credit history.
# Our system may be down.
# You may have previously attempted to qualify for special Card offers within the last 30 day

Well, the last one isn't possible as I've never attempted this before. That said, I ordered Experian Fico last night and was blocked from it. Maybe they tried to pull EX and it was blocked? I never offered a dispute so I don't know why that would be.

Thoughts?

Thanks for your time.
Message 1 of 13
12 REPLIES 12
fused
Moderator Emeritus

Re: Amex Soft Pull (Pre-Screen) Response - Baffled By It

- Did you have an EX score in the past?

- Have you disputed a lot of items on your EX report, especially non-PP inqs?

- Do you have a fraud alert or credit freeze on your EX report?

- Maybe Amex's system is (was) really down

Message 2 of 13
jbh
Established Contributor

Yeah, I have had exp scores before and a history of 8+ years (but I only knew FAKOS)

I have requested Experian from Annual Credit Report and, oddly enough, it's the only one that I cannot find the re-log in to. Anyway, I did not dispute anything and for whatever reason, my fico experian purchase last night gave me a security warning that they cannot validate my identity. :/

Crazy stuff.

PS. I did VIEW my experian report last week so unless it was somehow frozen in a week, none of this makes sense. Maybe this is a glitch on Experian's part?

Thanks for your time.

Message Edited by jbh on 08-03-2008 10:41 AM
Message 3 of 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

what's the link to this? i'm very interested.
Message 4 of 13
jbh
Established Contributor

(Hope this is ok)

https://www201.americanexpress.com/cards/Applyfservlet?csi=0/0/b/510
Message 5 of 13
Scamp
Valued Contributor

jbh wrote:
So basically Amex has a section on their site where you put in your SSN and (without a hard pull) they try to find a match for you. They couldn't find anything. I figured maybe they wanted a higher score but then I read the 3 possible reasons for no matches:

# We were unable to locate your credit history.
# Our system may be down.
# You may have previously attempted to qualify for special Card offers within the last 30 day

Well, the last one isn't possible as I've never attempted this before. That said, I ordered Experian Fico last night and was blocked from it. Maybe they tried to pull EX and it was blocked? I never offered a dispute so I don't know why that would be.

Thoughts?

Thanks for your time.

If A and C don't apply, then B is your likely answer - probably just a glitch somewhere.  Smiley Indifferent 

I wouldn't spend much skull sweat on it at this point - just try again later or tomorrow.  If you get the same response, then maybe investigate and worry a bit more.

02/12/09 EX: 701 / 02/08/10 EQ: 719 / 02/08/10 TU: 723

Backdoor Numbers, Credit Scoring 101, Understanding Your FICO Score PDF
Message 6 of 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

Did you opt out of credit card offers years ago?
Message 7 of 13
athensguy
Valued Contributor

Worked for me:

This time I only got 4 cards shown. Seems like it's usually five.

Rewards Plus Gold, Blue, PR Green, and Blue Sky.
Message 8 of 13
jbh
Established Contributor

I don't recall opting out. I figure they would give a standard "go away" message if they felt I did not qualify.

Kooky
Message 9 of 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

jbh, I also went to their website yesterday and received the same message that you did. I thought it seemed strange, but didn't worry about it too much as I thought maybe I wasn't quite at the AMEX level yet. Now, I know it probably is a system error.
Message 10 of 13
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.