Established Contributor
jbh

Amex Soft Pull (Pre-Screen) Response - Baffled By It

So basically Amex has a section on their site where you put in your SSN and (without a hard pull) they try to find a match for you. They couldn't find anything. I figured maybe they wanted a higher score but then I read the 3 possible reasons for no matches:

# We were unable to locate your credit history.
# Our system may be down.
# You may have previously attempted to qualify for special Card offers within the last 30 day

Well, the last one isn't possible as I've never attempted this before. That said, I ordered Experian Fico last night and was blocked from it. Maybe they tried to pull EX and it was blocked? I never offered a dispute so I don't know why that would be.

Thoughts?

Thanks for your time.
Moderator Emeritus
fused

Re: Amex Soft Pull (Pre-Screen) Response - Baffled By It

- Did you have an EX score in the past?

- Have you disputed a lot of items on your EX report, especially non-PP inqs?

- Do you have a fraud alert or credit freeze on your EX report?

- Maybe Amex's system is (was) really down

Credit Profile -
FICO 08 Scores (08-15-2014): EQ 820, EX 817, TU 814
All three scores were 850. Lost points for not having an open installment TL. So, BE WARNED!!!!!
Credit History: 26+ years ~ AAoA: 12 years ~ Util: 1% ~ Inqs: EX 1 (Amex 07-15-2014)

Credit Cards -
Amex BCP 25K ~ Amex Clear 25K ~ Amex Platinum NPSL ~ Chase Freedom Visa 19.3K ~ CITI Dividend World Mastercard 20.3K ~ FIA Fidelity Investments Platinum Plus Visa 40K ~ A Gold Visa with my local bank 10K
Established Contributor
jbh

[ Edited ]
Yeah, I have had exp scores before and a history of 8+ years (but I only knew FAKOS)

I have requested Experian from Annual Credit Report and, oddly enough, it's the only one that I cannot find the re-log in to. Anyway, I did not dispute anything and for whatever reason, my fico experian purchase last night gave me a security warning that they cannot validate my identity. :/

Crazy stuff.

PS. I did VIEW my experian report last week so unless it was somehow frozen in a week, none of this makes sense. Maybe this is a glitch on Experian's part?

Thanks for your time.

Message Edited by jbh on 08-03-2008 10:41 AM
Regular Contributor
d09

what's the link to this? i'm very interested.
Established Contributor
jbh

(Hope this is ok)

https://www201.americanexpress.com/cards/Applyfservlet?csi=0/0/b/510
Valued Contributor
Scamp

jbh wrote:
So basically Amex has a section on their site where you put in your SSN and (without a hard pull) they try to find a match for you. They couldn't find anything. I figured maybe they wanted a higher score but then I read the 3 possible reasons for no matches:

# We were unable to locate your credit history.
# Our system may be down.
# You may have previously attempted to qualify for special Card offers within the last 30 day

Well, the last one isn't possible as I've never attempted this before. That said, I ordered Experian Fico last night and was blocked from it. Maybe they tried to pull EX and it was blocked? I never offered a dispute so I don't know why that would be.

Thoughts?

Thanks for your time.

If A and C don't apply, then B is your likely answer - probably just a glitch somewhere.  :smileyindifferent: 

I wouldn't spend much skull sweat on it at this point - just try again later or tomorrow.  If you get the same response, then maybe investigate and worry a bit more.

02/12/09 EX: 701 / 02/08/10 EQ: 719 / 02/08/10 TU: 723

Backdoor Numbers, Credit Scoring 101, Understanding Your FICO Score PDF
New Contributor
jessep28

Did you opt out of credit card offers years ago?
TU 767 EX 761
Valued Contributor
athensguy

Worked for me:

This time I only got 4 cards shown. Seems like it's usually five.

Rewards Plus Gold, Blue, PR Green, and Blue Sky.
Established Contributor
jbh

I don't recall opting out. I figure they would give a standard "go away" message if they felt I did not qualify.

Kooky
Contributor
TLM

jbh, I also went to their website yesterday and received the same message that you did. I thought it seemed strange, but didn't worry about it too much as I thought maybe I wasn't quite at the AMEX level yet. Now, I know it probably is a system error.

myFICO is the consumer division of FICO. Since its introduction 20 years ago, the FICO® Score has become a global standard for measuring credit risk in the banking, mortgage, credit card, auto and retail industries. 90 of the top 100 largest U.S. financial institutions use the FICO Score to make consumer credit decisions.

>> About myFICO
FICO Score - The Score that matters
Click to Verify - This site chose VeriSign SSL for secure e-commerce and confidential communications.
Fair Isaac Corporation is a BBB Accredited Financial Service in San Rafael, CA
FOLLOW US Social Media Facebook Twitter Pinterest Google+