Amex Surpass vs Citi Hilton Honors

tag
red259
Super Contributor

Re: Amex Surpass vs Citi Hilton Honors

@CreditScholar wrote:

As a summary between the 2 cards:

Citi Reserve:

10x at Hilton, 5x on airfare and car rentals, 3x on general spending. Gold status as long as you hold the card, Diamond after 40k. Annual Free weekend night at any property (no category restriction) after 10k spend. No FTF and EMV Chip.

Amex Surpass:

12x Hilton, 6x groceries, 6x gas, 6x dining, 3x general spending. Gold status for first year only, retain for 20k annual spend. Diamond after 40k annual spend. 500 points per online Hilton booking. 2.7% forex fee. Lounge Club standard membership included ($27 per visit, per person).

As a general rule, most people are better off with the Citi card unless you have tons of Hilton stays so the 12x on the Surpass starts to eclipse the 10x on the Reserve. This is doubly true once you count the 500 points per booking. You get the most value out of this if you have lots of short stays, so 70x 1-night stays will get you an extra 35k points for example.

However if you have international stays, or if you have fewer but longer stays, the edge starts to go to the Reserve card. Status is clearly easier to maintain with the Reserve as well.

You'll have to do the math here, but I have a feeling with 70 nights it'll be close to break-even. The Amex online booking bonuses plus the extra 2x per dollar (12 vs 10) will be roughly offset by the annual free night (which could be worth 50-95k points by itself).

As for Marriott vs. Hilton:

Marriott has nicer FS properties IMO, while Hilton has nicer SS properties than Marriott (HGI > CY).

I like Hampton over Fairfield, but I stayed at a HGI and the bed was like a rock compared to the CYs I stayed in. Maybe it was just an off experience? Excellent summary of the difference between the two cards. 

;
Starting Score: EQ: 714, TU 684
Current Score: EQ: 725 7/30/13, TU 684 6/2013, Exp 828 5/2018, Last App 8/5/17
Goal Score: 800 (Achieved!) In garden until Sepetember 2019
Message 11 of 15
CreditScholar
Valued Contributor

@red259 wrote:

@CreditScholar wrote:

As a summary between the 2 cards:

Citi Reserve:

10x at Hilton, 5x on airfare and car rentals, 3x on general spending. Gold status as long as you hold the card, Diamond after 40k. Annual Free weekend night at any property (no category restriction) after 10k spend. No FTF and EMV Chip.

Amex Surpass:

12x Hilton, 6x groceries, 6x gas, 6x dining, 3x general spending. Gold status for first year only, retain for 20k annual spend. Diamond after 40k annual spend. 500 points per online Hilton booking. 2.7% forex fee. Lounge Club standard membership included ($27 per visit, per person).

As a general rule, most people are better off with the Citi card unless you have tons of Hilton stays so the 12x on the Surpass starts to eclipse the 10x on the Reserve. This is doubly true once you count the 500 points per booking. You get the most value out of this if you have lots of short stays, so 70x 1-night stays will get you an extra 35k points for example.

However if you have international stays, or if you have fewer but longer stays, the edge starts to go to the Reserve card. Status is clearly easier to maintain with the Reserve as well.

You'll have to do the math here, but I have a feeling with 70 nights it'll be close to break-even. The Amex online booking bonuses plus the extra 2x per dollar (12 vs 10) will be roughly offset by the annual free night (which could be worth 50-95k points by itself).

As for Marriott vs. Hilton:

Marriott has nicer FS properties IMO, while Hilton has nicer SS properties than Marriott (HGI > CY).

I like Hampton over Fairfield, but I stayed at a HGI and the bed was like a rock compared to the CYs I stayed in. Maybe it was just an off experience? Excellent summary of the difference between the two cards. 

I have no issues with CYs as a general rule, especially if it's for work-related purposes. It's not somewhere I'd choose to stay when I'm on holiday, but I've found most CYs to be just fine. However most of the people I speak to seem to prefer HGIs, with breakfast being the #1 cited difference.

EX 798, EQ 789, TU 784
American Express Platinum (NPSL) || Bank of America Privileges with Travel Rewards Visa Signature - $23,200 CL
Barclays American Airlines Aviator Red World Elite Mastercard - $20,000 CL || Chase IHG Rewards World Mastercard - $25,000 CL
Chase Sapphire Preferred Visa Signature - $12,700 CL || Chase United MileagePlus Club World Elite MasterCard - $26,500 CL
Citibank Hilton Reserve Visa Signature - $20,000 CL || J.P. Morgan Ritz Carlton Visa Signature - $23,500 CL
Message 12 of 15
Duncanrr
Valued Contributor

@enharu

I would love to get SPG. However, there is no SPG hotel in the town in question. I wish there was. There are at least 4 marriotts and Hilton hotels to choose from and they are comparable. That's is why im looking at other factors to make my decision. I dont do anything without evaluating all my options.

Starting Score: EQ 551 TU 548 CK 607on 6/8/12, EX 542(AMEX pull 3/4/12)
Current Score: EQ 808 TU --- EX --- CK 804(FAKO-EX 821, EQ 823, TU 803)
Goal Score: 750

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 13 of 15
CreditScholar
Valued Contributor

@Duncanrr wrote:
@enharu

I would love to get SPG. However, there is no SPG hotel in the town in question. I wish there was. There are at least 4 marriotts and Hilton hotels to choose from and they are comparable. That's is why im looking at other factors to make my decision. I dont do anything without evaluating all my options.

Are most of your stays going to be short or long? You might want to see how their quarterly promos fit into your travel plans.

For example if you have lots of short stays, Marriott's Megabonus might work for you. Every 2 stays = 1 free night cert (Cat 1-5), max of 2 per quarter. If you manage to get 8 (from 16 stays over 4 quarters), you can trade those in for 8 nights at the JW Shanghai, JW Bangkok, JW Beijing, etc. This is in addition to the points you normally receive.

If you pre-purchse Marriott gift cards, you can get additional bonuses as well. For example a promo just finished where you received 12 Southwest points per dollar spent on the gift cards, on top of everything else.

Hilton this quarter has 2x points on 2 night stays, 3x for 3-nights, and 4x for 4+ night stays. Therefore, if you only have 1 night stays you won't get any bonus points with Hilton.

EX 798, EQ 789, TU 784
American Express Platinum (NPSL) || Bank of America Privileges with Travel Rewards Visa Signature - $23,200 CL
Barclays American Airlines Aviator Red World Elite Mastercard - $20,000 CL || Chase IHG Rewards World Mastercard - $25,000 CL
Chase Sapphire Preferred Visa Signature - $12,700 CL || Chase United MileagePlus Club World Elite MasterCard - $26,500 CL
Citibank Hilton Reserve Visa Signature - $20,000 CL || J.P. Morgan Ritz Carlton Visa Signature - $23,500 CL
Message 14 of 15
Duncanrr
Valued Contributor

Im not sure yet how its going to work out but its looking like it will be every Monday and Wednesday night in hotel for a while to go. Im negotiating rate with hotels right now and they are talking about throwing some extra points my way to sweeten the deal.

Starting Score: EQ 551 TU 548 CK 607on 6/8/12, EX 542(AMEX pull 3/4/12)
Current Score: EQ 808 TU --- EX --- CK 804(FAKO-EX 821, EQ 823, TU 803)
Goal Score: 750

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 15 of 15
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.