Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Amex TL Date Reporting Issue

tag
phonic
Contributor

Amex TL Date Reporting Issue

I seem to have run into a weird issue on my AU Amex.

Long story short, my wife got an Amex Gold card back in 2010. Had a nice sign up bonus. I was added as an AU and AM. A few months later I got my own PRG. Not needing the Gold, but not wanting to cancel her account, we downgraded it to a Zinc and I removed myself. For the past few years, it was still reporting on my CR, albeit with no real information since we haven't used the card in a long time.

Anyway, a few weeks ago I decided to add myself back. Even though I had an old card, they had to issue me a new account number. They clearly knew who I was since they spoke to me as an AM and had to verify it. I mentioned numerous times to link it to my existing profile (have two Amex cards myself now). I was a bit concerned when it didn't show up on my online account automatically. When I received the card a few days later, I noticed it had a 2014 MSD. I mentioned this in another thread and after calling Amex, they fixed the glitch. They also sent me a new card with an updated MSD.

Fast forward to today, and I received credit watch updates that a new account was added to my CRs, but with a starting date of 12/2013. 

First, I figured they would just use the existing TL instead of creating a new one. But I guess I might luck out from a double TL on one account with an older date. The problem is, the new one is showing the wrong MSD, which will not help and actually hurt. 

Has this happened to anyone else? Will Amex automatically fix the CR reporting with the new MSD that they corrected in their system, or do I need to call them and jump through a bunch of hoops?

Limits: PRG=NPSL, CSP=$16k, BCP=$30k, DIT=$15k, USAA=$6k, CDW=$12.5k, IHG=$9k, BBY=$2k, BOA=$13k
Message 1 of 6
5 REPLIES 5
indiolatino61
Valued Contributor

Re: Amex TL Date Reporting Issue

@phonic wrote:

I seem to have run into a weird issue on my AU Amex.

Long story short, my wife got an Amex Gold card back in 2010. Had a nice sign up bonus. I was added as an AU and AM. A few months later I got my own PRG. Not needing the Gold, but not wanting to cancel her account, we downgraded it to a Zinc and I removed myself. For the past few years, it was still reporting on my CR, albeit with no real information since we haven't used the card in a long time.

Anyway, a few weeks ago I decided to add myself back. Even though I had an old card, they had to issue me a new account number. They clearly knew who I was since they spoke to me as an AM and had to verify it. I mentioned numerous times to link it to my existing profile (have two Amex cards myself now). I was a bit concerned when it didn't show up on my online account automatically. When I received the card a few days later, I noticed it had a 2014 MSD. I mentioned this in another thread and after calling Amex, they fixed the glitch. They also sent me a new card with an updated MSD.

Fast forward to today, and I received credit watch updates that a new account was added to my CRs, but with a starting date of 12/2013. 

First, I figured they would just use the existing TL instead of creating a new one. But I guess I might luck out from a double TL on one account with an older date. The problem is, the new one is showing the wrong MSD, which will not help and actually hurt. 

Has this happened to anyone else? Will Amex automatically fix the CR reporting with the new MSD that they corrected in their system, or do I need to call them and jump through a bunch of hoops?

I would definitely call them and see what they can do. I'm not sure if they backdate AU status once you get your own card in your own name, but I may be wrong. Good luck!

photo Logo - Credit Card Collection - Data Inclusive_zpskiw5xfjj.jpg photo emerald_zpsfitcxbh5.jpg
Message 2 of 6
phonic
Contributor

I hope you're wrong because that would really suck. I had thought that all CCs would be back dated to the MSD regardless of AU or BC. 

Limits: PRG=NPSL, CSP=$16k, BCP=$30k, DIT=$15k, USAA=$6k, CDW=$12.5k, IHG=$9k, BBY=$2k, BOA=$13k
Message 3 of 6
ayasoysis
Established Member

My experience has been that AMEX does not backdate AU accounts. I have four accounts with AMEX that are backdated, but the 2 AU accounts that my husband added me to are dated at the time the account was actually opened. I'm curious to know if anyone has been able to get an AU account backdated. Thinking back I would not have been added as an AU if I had known it would not be backdated. That was actually the only reason I had him add me in the first place.

Message 4 of 6
titanofold
Established Contributor

Yes, they do backdate for AU. However, they only backdate to when you became an AU.

So, you could become an AU in December 2013 on an AMEX TL that was opened in 1994. (Just throwing some dates out.) Any future cards you get from AMEX will be backdated to 2013 because you started your relationship with AMEX in 2013.

Scores2013-09-21Current
Equifax630 (LP)755 (CK)/749 (Quizzle)
Experian640 (FCR)FICO 707 (Amex)
TransUnion588 (CK)FICO 754 (Barclaycard)
Message 5 of 6
phonic
Contributor

@titanofold wrote:

Yes, they do backdate for AU. However, they only backdate to when you became an AU.

So, you could become an AU in December 2013 on an AMEX TL that was opened in 1994. (Just throwing some dates out.) Any future cards you get from AMEX will be backdated to 2013 because you started your relationship with AMEX in 2013.

I'm not exactly understanding what you are saying.

In my case, I was originally an AU on that account in 2010. That was my first relationship with Amex. I also have my own accounts with an MSD of 2010. If I had them add me back in to that account as an AU in 2013, should my TL date be 2010 or 2013?

Message 6 of 6
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.