Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Amex, Transfering credit and 3X credit

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Amex, Transfering credit and 3X credit

Well I just clicked the above link and went for it. Requested all but 500 to be transferred from my BCP to my Hilton Surpass. I got the 7-10 day message. I'm guessing it will be a denial since my BCP is only 11 months old. We will see.....

Message 11 of 21
K-in-Boston
Credit Mentor

If it didn’t happen immediately you’re gonna get a 12 month letter. No harm no foul. Nothing got reset. You can still ask again later and unlike CapOne reallocating lines does not reset a CLI clock.

Message 12 of 21
SouthJamaica
Mega Contributor

@K-in-Boston wrote:

If it didn’t happen immediately you’re gonna get a 12 month letter. No harm no foul. Nothing got reset. You can still ask again later and unlike CapOne reallocating lines does not reset a CLI clock.

@K-in-Boston, you're 100% sure that reallocating Amex credit lines does not reset the CLI clock?

Total revolving limits 741200 (620700 reporting) FICO 8: EQ 703 TU 704 EX 687

Message 13 of 21
MrDisco99
Valued Contributor

Transferring limits does not reset the CLI clock. I’ve moved credit between cards multiple times and it has not interfered with my CLIs.

Also none of my cards are over a year old.

One of my transfer requests did return a 7-10 day message but when I looked at my limits the next day they had changed.
Message 14 of 21
K-in-Boston
Credit Mentor

@SouthJamaica wrote:

@K-in-Boston, you're 100% sure that reallocating Amex credit lines does not reset the CLI clock?

Positive. In addition to @MrDisco99's comments, both DW and myself have received CLIs soon after reallocating credit lines.

Message 15 of 21
JuliusC
Valued Member

Can I add a dp that you can move all but $1k of your limit. I moved by BCE to my Gold Delta when I tried to move everything but $500 and got the 7-10 day message. Tried again but left $1k and it was moved. I remembered reading a post stating you can move everything but $1k
Message 16 of 21
K-in-Boston
Credit Mentor

@JuliusC wrote:
Can I add a dp that you can move all but $1k of your limit. I moved by BCE to my Gold Delta when I tried to move everything but $500 and got the 7-10 day message. Tried again but left $1k and it was moved. I remembered reading a post stating you can move everything but $1k

This is completely a YMMV situation (as is being able to reallocate credit lines from a card that has been open fewer than 12 statements), but from the data points most people are able to move all but $500.  I moved all but $500 of my old "Blue from American Express" card to my Starwood card after opening it since the $8k SL wasn't enough since my average monthly spend on the card is almost that much.  Amex also has internal limits for how much they may allow you to have on a single card, so depending on your profile that additional $500 may have come into play there.

Message 17 of 21
SwarthyOgre
Regular Contributor

wrote:

Well I just clicked the above link and went for it. Requested all but 500 to be transferred from my BCP to my Hilton Surpass. I got the 7-10 day message. I'm guessing it will be a denial since my BCP is only 11 months old. We will see.....

Just a few months ago I tranferred some of my now 10 month old BCE limit to my brand new ED so im not sure the age is the cause of the 7-10 day message. Perhaps try moving all but 1k of the limit?

Starting scores: 5/15 - EQ: 546 | TU: 580 | EX: 554
Current scores: 4/23 - EQ: 750 | TU: 750 | EX: 750
Message 18 of 21
jlitnns
Established Contributor

I kept trying to move all but $500 over and got denied 2 times. Just tried moving all but $1k and approved immediately. I'm due for a CLI on June 15. Here's to hoping it works on the new card...Robot Very Happy

Message 19 of 21
MrDisco99
Valued Contributor

Yep... I've pretty much settled on $1K being the minimum you can have on any Amex revolver when transferring limits, despite the form giving you the option to leave $500.  Anytime I leave $1K on the donor card, it works fine.

Message 20 of 21
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.