Amex Trouble

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Amex Trouble

@Littlewing745 wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

Security concerns I guess.  I sent a notarized form to prove my idenitity and then tried to place an order once the card was active again and it got declined. Then account services just cancelled the whole account.

If you don't mind me asking, before calling and demanding to speak with a higher up can you tell us a bit more about your credit profile? What are your scores?  Any baddies on your reports?  What is your AAAoA? What other cards do you have and what are their limits? What are the limits on your Amex cards that were cancelled?

The reason why I ask these questions is because, we are just speculating and giving you feedback on what you are telling us without actually getting a glimpse of your profile. So a snapshot of your profile will help us better understand why Amex will take such adverse action against you...

Yes, this. I mentioned on another of his/her posts that, frankly, this is pretty ambiguous. For all we know, OP has a unique set of circumstances that has set off internal alarms at AMEX. Based on the other post I saw, I'm actually a bit confused myself. OP has $170k in annual income, but is approaching this as if s/he has never had a credit card before. Is this because they haven't? Are they new to American credit (i.e., moved from overseas and therefore AMEX had a hard time verifying identity and history?). Is it simply a big boost in credit scores after a long rebuild, and therefore all of this credit is new and popping up out of nowhere? Then, as you state, what about baddies/AAoA/other cards/etc. There are a lot of unknown factors, and OP isn't sharing much.

This could have been an extremely fixable problem, but there's just no way to know for sure. "AMEX was mean to me just because" is totally not the whole story. Just doesn't work that way.

^^^  nailed it.

Message 21 of 25
Littlewing745
Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Nope I have 2 other credit cards with 30K limit and 35K limit.  I have a credit score of 723-733.  The AMEX card was approved with 20K limit.

Right, but that still doesn't answer the nuanced things like - again - average age of account, any baddies, current balances. I know you said low balance on another post - but that's subjective. Are you using 10%? 25%? 3%? When did you open the other two cards? A few years ago? In the last month? All of that matters a *lot*.

EDIT: in glancing at a few of your others posts, it seems like perhaps you opened *all* of these accounts maybe in the last 1-2 weeks, yes? I mean...that's a security concern! That's getting near $100k of credit lines over three credit cards in less than a month. That can look *extremely* risky to a lender, if they have access to that info already. That may be your answer.

Message 22 of 25
ojefferyo
Valued Contributor

I never heard of a lender just closing peoples account without saying why, there has to be more to it. 

Amex Platinum, Amex Hilton HHonors Surpass, Chase Southwest Premier, Chase Marriott Rewards Premier, Discover IT, Sony Visa, Barclay Arrival+ MC, Cabela Visa, Walmart SC, Amazon SC, Kohls, Diners Club Premier, PayPal Credit, PenFed Platinum Reward Visa, PenFed PLOC, Chase Ritz Carlton, Citi TY Premier, Amex BCP, Discover Miles, Care Credit, Blue Nile SC, iComfort SC, Cap1 Venture, Chase Hyatt, Lowes, US Bank Cash+, Citi Costco Visa
Message 23 of 25
Legen_dary
Frequent Contributor

If you send the paperwork in that quickly, they should be able to resolve it quickly too!

Message 24 of 25
Anonymous
Not applicable

With a thin file like yours, brand new CC's with high CL's, recent charges, and now trying to run a high dollar charge thru, without making any payments, it obviously thru up some kind of alarms. I bet if you had paid your balance in full, than tried to charge again, it may have come out differently. That's been my experience with some of my newer cards, especially since I'm charging small, medium, and large charges across a bunch of different states on a weekly basis. I have to agree with other's here: there's more to this story.
Message 25 of 25
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.