cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Amex: Trying to decide if I should replace my Costco/Amex card with another Amex product

tag
gamegrrl
Frequent Contributor

Amex: Trying to decide if I should replace my Costco/Amex card with another Amex product

Wow. I had no idea Amex has stopped backdating! I have the Costco/Amex card. When I got it a year ago, it backdated to 1995 and that's how it shows on my credit reports.

So I guess if I want to replace this relatively high CL card in my portfolio once the Costco/Amex relationship is over, any new Amex card I get will just say 2015 or 2016 for the open date in my CRs.

Meh.

So if I don't replace the card, I will lose $16K of my overall available credit. If I *do* replace it, I will negatively impact my AAOA because the new card won't be backdated like my current card was.

Looks like a lose/lose situation to me. Can anyone help me see the upside here?

EX myFICO 850 - EQ myFICO 850 - TU myFICO 850
Goal Score: 800+ across the board! *DONE!!!*
Message 1 of 3
2 REPLIES 2
CreditCuriosity
Moderator Emeritus

Re: Amex: Trying to decide if I should replace my Costco/Amex card with another Amex product

@gamegrrl wrote:

Wow. I had no idea Amex has stopped backdating! I have the Costco/Amex card. When I got it a year ago, it backdated to 1995 and that's how it shows on my credit reports.

So I guess if I want to replace this relatively high CL card in my portfolio once the Costco/Amex relationship is over, any new Amex card I get will just say 2015 or 2016 for the open date in my CRs.

Meh.

So if I don't replace the card, I will lose $16K of my overall available credit. If I *do* replace it, I will negatively impact my AAOA because the new card won't be backdated like my current card was.

Looks like a lose/lose situation to me. Can anyone help me see the upside here?

Not really lose/lose.. Ya it sucks Amex backdating is gone for FUTURE aka new cards.. Although that card will remain on your credit report for 10 years after it is closed if indeed that is what happens.   Still some speculation here and more info is still needed.  I would hold out a bit longer before converting to the BCE like they are trying to get people to do.. Also Citibank is taking over the Costco portfolio as part of the deal.. Some things are still to be ironed out, but most likely you will have that 15k CL with citibank w/out a new HP from my understanding and hopefully that will be backdated to your Amex open date so really not a lose/lose by any means.. Still some stuff to play out here and unknowns, but costco recently released something that members should expect a seemless transition to Citi from Amex.  Hopefully it works out this way!

Message 2 of 3
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Amex: Trying to decide if I should replace my Costco/Amex card with another Amex product

Search the forum or scroll down a couple pages to read a few recent threads on AmEx/Costco. Current thought, the way I understand it, is that you'll almost definitely get a new Citi Visa out of the deal (presumably with the same date as your current TE) and also probably get PC'd to a BCE or some other AmEx. So you may end up with two backdated accounts and at least will likely end up with one (citi). 

Message 3 of 3
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.