Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Amex Upgrade or Re-Apply ???

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Amex Upgrade or Re-Apply ???

Hi Guys,

Browsing Amex web today i noticed that i can upgrade my Hilton H and my Delta (saw the upgrade link under the cards), i like the upgrade but i have some questions, reading online i noticed that many people just close the cards and apply for a new one instead (in few cases a day after closed the card and got approved for the new one), this way they can get better SL and better APR, if you upgrade you get the new card but you keep the same SL and the same APR.

1- Which options will be better for me, Upgrade my cards or close both cards and re-apply for the one i want? 

I know i can be denied but my credit is way better than the time i applied for those cards (before 690-710; now 754 and Util is 0%).

2- I am not doing this for the bonus, the only reason behind this is, better SL/APR and better reward (ex: HH 6X vs Surpass 12X), i do have some points on both HH and Delta, if i close the cards, do i lose the points earned so far?

My HH is 2K SL and my Delta is 4K SL, there is no plans to do 3x CLI on these cards, i stayed in Aug on one of the Hilton in Miami and almost go over my limit, i needed to do a payment to accommodated some spending.

I know will be an annual fee which i don't mind to pay and another HP which im ok with that if that give me what i want.

Thank you in advance. 

Message 1 of 5
4 REPLIES 4
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Amex Upgrade or Re-Apply ???

What do you mean there is no plan for the 3x CLI? Do you mean you do not qualify for one yet? How long have you had the cards for?

Message 2 of 5
ecxpa
Valued Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

What do you mean there is no plan for the 3x CLI? Do you mean you do not qualify for one yet? How long have you had the cards for?

Seems like the best thing to do is ask for the 3X CLI if you are looking to get a higher credit line...........if you don't qualify for a CLI you may or may not get approved for a new card with a higher SL.   A real bummer would be to close current acct, get approved with lower SL and get stuck with the AF.

Message 3 of 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi guys,

What im traying to say with " there is no plans to do 3x CLI on these cardsis that my next two 3x CLI with Amex (1 year if approved) are already scheduled for my BCP and BCE, for the 2017 the HH and the Delta will have the same SL so the ask for a 3x CLI on these cards are not an option.

I really asked because i see the upgrade link and wanted to know which route will be better, i don't need to close the cards or apply for new cards, just i am asking before upgrade the cards and then there is no way to go back, so i did a search and i saw that closing the card and re-applying for the upgrade (ex: from HH to Hilton Surpass) it can be done, of course, getting denied or not getting the desire SL/APR and a new HP added to your file are things to consider and you have to live with whatever the outcome may be.

Just spoke with an Amex CSR and it can be done, you can call and close any CC and re-apply for another at any time, the only thing is there will be a HP and the same process for a NEW card application.

This will answer one of my questions,  just found out that under almost all circumstances you will not lose airline or hotel points earned through a credit card when you cancel the card.

Thanks guys.

Message 4 of 5
NRB525
Super Contributor

If you have space in your AMEX Wallet, you can actually app for the Surpass Hilton and Platinum Delta AMEX cards, while you have the regular HHonors or Delta Gold card.

In 2013 I apped the Delta Gold, then decided to app the Delta Platinum also in early 2014, while the Delta Gold was still open. The Delta Gold was $2k, Delta Platinum came in as $10k on the approval.

I would reconsider the "I don't want a bonus" thing. The Delta Platinum is running a 70,000 miles bonus plus 10k MQM for a new app, through a date certain in early November. That's a lot of SkyPesos. If your Upgrade from Delta Gold to Delta Platinum is anything like mine recently it's probably only 15,000 regular miles. no HP, to be sure, but well short of 70,000 miles.

the HHonors upgrade may be less difference. I have an offer to go to the Surpass with an upgrade, for 50,000 HHonors points. The regular offer for Surpass is 75,000 points, but HHonors points aren't worth a whole lot per.

These AMEX Sign Up bonuses are once per lifetime now. Taking the upgrade offer to a particular card most likely boxes you out from getting another sign up bonus with that same card later.

If you already have four AMEX Centurion Bank revolvers (like I do) then you may have to close one of them to open up a slot for a new app. If you only have two revolvers, two spaces remain.

High Bal Jan 2009 $116k on $146k limits 80% Util.
Oct 2014 $46k on $127k 36% util EQ 722 TU 727 EX 727
April 2018 $18k on $344k 5% util EQ 806 TU 810 EX 812
Jan 2019 $7.6k on $360k EQ 832 TU 839 EX 831
March 2021 $33k on $312k EQ 796 TU 798 EX 801
May 2021 Paid all Installments and Mortgages, one new Mortgage EQ 761 TY 774 EX 777
April 2022 EQ=811 TU=807 EX=805 - TU VS 3.0 765
Message 5 of 5
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.