Did you mean: 

Amex Verification (Fraud Alert)

tag
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

Re: Amex Verification (Fraud Alert)

@sexy_kitten7 wrote:

@Middleswarth wrote:
So the check spending limit button alerts Amex?

This is good to know. While this card will primarily be used for groceries, I may use it again for big ticket purchases (for the extra warranty).

Yes. A fun fact I learned here on myFICO Smiley Wink

In fact, people have been FR'd after jokingly typing in something outrageous like 30k!

I think this is more in the realm of myth than substantiated.

Message 21 of 30
barbaralee
Established Contributor

@cashnocredit wrote:

I've had my Cit card briefly frozen until I texted them back and also got a call verifying I'd made two charges half an hour apart at the same gas station. Apparently people don't buy gas 1/2 hour apart normally. I had just picked up my car and returrned a loaner and they both needed gas.

Never had any problem with Amex and I've used it a lot.

Things vary.

There is so much gas fraud it's not even funny. Fraudsters LOVE to get gas, and they will put in $100+ worth. Anytime someone does like what you described, especially in Florida, and especially at Raceways my company will start shutting cards down.

And the cards are being swiped at the pump, too, so they are usually counterfeited.

Message 22 of 30
js0319
Established Contributor

I was locked out of my account for clicking the check my spending button more than twice in one day - haven't done it since as you can call and they can give you the same information and actually tell you what your internal limit is. I've also had to do the 3-way call, but it was because I accidentally put the wrong account number in my payment information when I made a payment. 

AMEX PRG - NPSL I AMEX Everyday Preferred - $34.8k I Capital One Venture - $20k I Chase Sapphire Preferred - $25.5k I Chase Southwest Rapid Rewards Premier - $20.7k I Barclay Arrival + - $10k I Capital One Quicksilver - $10k I NFCU Flagship Rewards Visa Signature - $15k I NASA FCU - $10k I Texell FCU Visa - $5k I Chase Freedom - $9.9k I Citi Double Cash - $7.8k I Discover IT - $5k I NFCU CLOC - $15k I Total Unsecured Credit - $188,700

EQ FICO - 714 (5/24/16) I TU FICO - 772 (5/24/16) I EX FICO - 770 (5/24/16)
Message 23 of 30
jre
Regular Contributor

@Middleswarth wrote:

Since this is a brand new card and I did make a nearly $2k purchase, I will let it go.  However, if this becomes an issue and it happens again, the BCE will find its way to my sock drawer.  I have other cards with high limits that have not done this to me.

I do appreciate the fraud protection, but they could have contacted me first.  I mean I bought a laptop online - its not like it was going to be shipped that day.  Or if they really needed to verify they could have done it before I used the card.  Luckily it was not declined in a store.  That would have been embarrassing enough that I may have totally lost my cool on the phone.

2k online purchase for a new card is suspicious and they don't know when the item will be shipped. Some merchants allow for same day or next say pick-up. The method of their verification is a bit odd, but you should be appreciative because if this wasn't an authorized purchase you'd be in here venting about how they didn't take steps to protect you.

Quicksilver x2 | Barclays | Store Cards (more than I need)

Scores: 650s
Message 24 of 30
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

@jre wrote:

@Middleswarth wrote:

Since this is a brand new card and I did make a nearly $2k purchase, I will let it go.  However, if this becomes an issue and it happens again, the BCE will find its way to my sock drawer.  I have other cards with high limits that have not done this to me.

I do appreciate the fraud protection, but they could have contacted me first.  I mean I bought a laptop online - its not like it was going to be shipped that day.  Or if they really needed to verify they could have done it before I used the card.  Luckily it was not declined in a store.  That would have been embarrassing enough that I may have totally lost my cool on the phone.

2k online purchase for a new card is suspicious and they don't know when the item will be shipped. Some merchants allow for same day or next say pick-up. The method of their verification is a bit odd, but you should be appreciative because if this wasn't an authorized purchase you'd be in here venting about how they didn't take steps to protect you.

THis protects THEM, not you.  No consumer liability.

Message 25 of 30
Middleswarth
Frequent Contributor

jre wrote:

Middleswarth wrote:

Really? 

In case it wasn't clear (most people got it but I want to be sure)...

This is about the conference call I had with Amex and my bank.  It struck me as very strange.  I have no problem with fraud protection (and I never said so in any post here).  I don't even have a big issue with the conference call.  However if I find that I cannot use my BCE without it being flagged and frozen, then it goes in the sock drawer.  I do not need the aggravation.

Message 26 of 30
red259
Super Contributor

@Middleswarth wrote:

@jre wrote:

@Middleswarth wrote:

Really? 

This is about the conference call I had with Amex and my bank.  It struck me as very strange.  I have no problem with fraud protection (and I never said so in any post here).  I don't even have a big issue with the conference call.  However if I find that I cannot use my BCE without it being flagged and frozen, then it goes in the sock drawer.  I do not need the aggravation.

+1 I find it comical someone is suggesting to you that you should appreciate the fact Amex declined your purchase and made you go through a conference call with your bank. Its all about the lender protecting themselves and they could care less about protecting the card holder. That being said a large purchase on a brand new card will normally trigger a lender to investigate and I have seen it with other lenders as well, because they want to make sure nobody intercepted your card in the mail. If I am making a large purchase on a new card I will normally notify them in advance. Of course, if my account was getting frozen on one of my older cards I would not be very forgiving. 

;
Starting Score: EQ: 714, TU 684
Current Score: EQ: 725 7/30/13, TU 684 6/2013, Exp 828 5/2018, Last App 8/5/17
Goal Score: 800 (Achieved!) In garden until Sepetember 2019
Message 27 of 30
juggalo9er
Valued Contributor

not an amex customer but cloning of cards is substantially more common than anyone can imagine. although something like this seems like a hassle it is a fairly sure fire way to prevent potential fraud

Message 28 of 30
sexy_kitten7
Regular Contributor

@red259 wrote:

@Middleswarth wrote:

@jre wrote:

@Middleswarth wrote:

Really? 

+1 I find it comical someone is suggesting to you that you should appreciate the fact Amex declined your purchase and made you go through a conference call with your bank. Its all about the lender protecting themselves and they could care less about protecting the card holder. That being said a large purchase on a brand new card will normally trigger a lender to investigate and I have seen it with other lenders as well, because they want to make sure nobody intercepted your card in the mail. If I am making a large purchase on a new card I will normally notify them in advance. Of course, if my account was getting frozen on one of my older cards I would not be very forgiving. 

+1 To make matters worse, many POS systems don't even use the word "Decline" anymore! Ex: Staples.

Maybe they find it impolite or awkward. But I'd rather know WHY the transaction failed versus just guessing with the clueless cashier!

Some banks call/text you right away when this happens (e.g. USBank), but most don't (e.g. Chase). Apparently leaving the consumer in the dark is another "security feature associated with this account for your protection!" Unbelievable!

Quicksilver MC / Amazon.com / Better Balance Rewards Visa / Freedom / Dividend / Quicksilver Visa / Cash+ / Thank You Preferred / Blue Cash Everyday / Better Balance Rewards MC / BankAmericard HRC Cash Rewards / It / Arrival / FlexPerks / Platinum AAdvantage / MileagePlus Explorer / LifeMiles
Message 29 of 30
cashnocredit
Valued Contributor

@14Fiesta wrote:

@cashnocredit wrote:

I've had my Cit card briefly frozen until I texted them back and also got a call verifying I'd made two charges half an hour apart at the same gas station. Apparently people don't buy gas 1/2 hour apart normally. I had just picked up my car and returrned a loaner and they both needed gas.

Never had any problem with Amex and I've used it a lot.

Things vary.

Oh my gosh and never EVER return a car without paying for the gas. LOL my local Hertz charges like 8-9 bucks a gallon if you don't do it yourself. I completely understand why they do that but WOW is it still a sticker shock to think how expensive that could get very quickly. Sorry for getting off topic but I just thought of that when I read your post.

The problem was that I did fill up just prior to returning the loaner then, when I picked up my car from service, it was low on gas so I stopped at the same station and filled it up. It was the two gas purchases a short time apart that triggered the call. It was an automated call. They didn't shut the card down but just requested I call them if the charges weren't mine.

I have reestablished credit over the last couple years
so my moniker is, well, rather out of date.

WM Discover $1800, WF Plat 12k, Chase Freedom Siggy18k, Amex Plat (60k H/B), Citi AA EWMC 25k
Message 30 of 30
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.