Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Amex Welcome Offer

tag
ronstar7
Established Contributor

Re: Amex Welcome Offer

Hi all,

Thank you for the wonderful suggestions. I have no rent so I couldnt use it for that. Father in law passed away last year so DH decided we should move with his mom for a while because she had no one else. I could put my car note or student loans on there and meet it with no problem. BUT I dotn want my statement to cut with such hight utl. if I couldnt pay all that back before it cuts. The intrest would kill me, as I got the highest one I think its 19% something. Why did they have to make it so much lol. These are my first 2 amex cards and I want to do them right. If Ieave a balance on the Delta they might not like that. I have read many horrror storied on here about AA and things like that I just dont want to stir the pot so early in the game. Oh well if I can I will if I cant I wont worry about it. If I get approved for the Freedom (still waiting) Ill get something back from them with a much smaller spend. 

Starting scores 12/1/15 EQ 601, TU 626, EX 601

Current Scores 9/17/17 EQ 686 TU 702 EX 655 Goal 700+ across
UTL 7%
Last Inq: 9/20/17
Message 11 of 23
aussiesareforever
Established Contributor

$2000 in 3 months is $670 a month. I think you would absolutely do it and not have to pay a dime in interest. Groceries, gas, utility bills, dining out, daycare bill, deductibles, insurance bill, clothing, household items, Internet bill.
Lots of opportunities to put things on the credit card instead of writing a check or paying with debit. Just ensure that money is sitting in a checking account somewhere so you can pay it off completely at the end of the month.

50,000 miles can get you two domestic round trip tickets (or even 3 depending on the flights) on Delta. I use my credit card for almost everything and haven't paid a dime in interest since 2008. You can most definitely do it without incurring any debt. Write out your budget for the month, set the money aside, keep track of it as you pay your bills with your credit card and pay off the card at the end of the month.

BK in January 2008---Barclay's Apple Financing Card ($10,000) --- Capital One Quicksilver ($13,000)--- Platinum Delta Skymiles ($35,000) --- GEMB CareCredit ($10,000) --- AUFCU ($10000)---Discover IT ($33,000)

Experian 835 Transunion 828-- August 2018
Message 12 of 23
ronstar7
Established Contributor

@aussiesareforever wrote:
$2000 in 3 months is $670 a month. I think you would absolutely do it and not have to pay a dime in interest. Groceries, gas, utility bills, dining out, daycare bill, deductibles, insurance bill, clothing, household items, Internet bill.
Lots of opportunities to put things on the credit card instead of writing a check or paying with debit. Just ensure that money is sitting in a checking account somewhere so you can pay it off completely at the end of the month.

50,000 miles can get you two domestic round trip tickets (or even 3 depending on the flights) on Delta. I use my credit card for almost everything and haven't paid a dime in interest since 2008. You can most definitely do it without incurring any debt. Write out your budget for the month, set the money aside, keep track of it as you pay your bills with your credit card and pay off the card at the end of the month.

After calculating, I found if I do my car, cell phone bill, and groceries for 3 months I will be at $2,002, which puts me at the mark! Only sucky part is Walmart wont get used until after 3 months because I will be using Amex lol Smiley Happy

Thanks for your help

UTL 7%
Message 13 of 23
blondy250
Established Contributor

It's a good offer , for some an easy spend. With that said I've been with Amex since 2001 , and there is no way 50k MR points equal 2-3 round trips to anywhere.
Fico 8 12/9/17
Equifax 850, TransUnion 842 10/30/17 , Experian 842 12/11/17 . AAOA 12 years Oldest 20
No inquires since 2014
All credit reports frozen
Fico 8 Equifax Bankcard 866 12/27/16
Message 14 of 23
aussiesareforever
Established Contributor

They are not MR points. She has Delta miles. Two different things.

BK in January 2008---Barclay's Apple Financing Card ($10,000) --- Capital One Quicksilver ($13,000)--- Platinum Delta Skymiles ($35,000) --- GEMB CareCredit ($10,000) --- AUFCU ($10000)---Discover IT ($33,000)

Experian 835 Transunion 828-- August 2018
Message 15 of 23
ronstar7
Established Contributor

@blondy250 wrote:
It's a good offer , for some an easy spend. With that said I've been with Amex since 2001 , and there is no way 50k MR points equal 2-3 round trips to anywhere.

What are MR points?

UTL 7%
Message 16 of 23
Anonymous
Not applicable

@ronstar7 wrote:

@blondy250 wrote:

What are MR points?

Short for Membership Rewards Points, the AMEX points that you earn on most AMEX cards (like the PRG/Green/Platinum/etc.). You can transfer them to airline partners like Delta (i.e. convert MR points into airline miles) mostly for a 1:1 ratio (though with some exceptions), and then use these airline miles to redeem award flights.

Message 17 of 23
Chaselover
Frequent Contributor

@ronstar7 wrote:
Hello all.

So how bad is it if I DONT take Amex up on their offer? Meaning the 50,000 points when you spend 2k in 3 months. I really don't see myself that spending that much I never have on any card. What is that in flights? Round trip for one... two? Has anyone ever not done it? I hate to waste all those points by I just don't have anything I need to buy for 2k within 3 months... Smiley Sad also o got approved for the green charge card is it true it doesn't report? Why? And it's no preset spending limit... Is that good or bad? I prefer to see a hard limit lol

It would be insane to even think of not making the required spend. 

50,000 miles is a lot. Approx. u can easily have a cross-country to and fro trip with that, im just saying approx. Did not read which airline though. 

and 2,000 should be easy to spend. and I even feel, if u even have to carry the balance for 2 months to pay it off, the value of the 50,000 miles outweighs that interest very easily.

In a committed relationship with Chase from 12/2012.
Age: 26, Income: $59,240/-, Current score: TU from CK: 750/A (12/24/14), TU Vantage score from CK: 775/C (12/24/14), Experian from Creditsesame: 717, Equifax from myfico: 724, Overall Util: 1% (12/24/14), Total credit limits: $62,150, In the garden from 12/19/2014, AAoA : 7 months, Oldest account: 8 months, Newest account: 1 week, HP: 18.
Message 18 of 23
ronstar7
Established Contributor

@Chaselover wrote:

@ronstar7 wrote:
Hello all.

So how bad is it if I DONT take Amex up on their offer? Meaning the 50,000 points when you spend 2k in 3 months. I really don't see myself that spending that much I never have on any card. What is that in flights? Round trip for one... two? Has anyone ever not done it? I hate to waste all those points by I just don't have anything I need to buy for 2k within 3 months... Smiley Sad also o got approved for the green charge card is it true it doesn't report? Why? And it's no preset spending limit... Is that good or bad? I prefer to see a hard limit lol

It would be insane to even think of not making the required spend. 

50,000 miles is a lot. Approx. u can easily have a cross-country to and fro trip with that, im just saying approx. Did not read which airline though. 

and 2,000 should be easy to spend. and I even feel, if u even have to carry the balance for 2 months to pay it off, the value of the 50,000 miles outweighs that interest very easily.

Hi I figured out how to do it with my car note, cell phone and groceries for 3 months. That should do since I spend that money anyway Ill just charge wait for it to hit then pay off immediately.

Thanks for your help!

UTL 7%
Message 19 of 23
Anonymous
Not applicable

To clarify, Acquisition Incentive Controls state that you may only receive one acquisition offer per card product once in a lifetime. Whether you met the qualified spend or not, the offer would've been extended to the applicant. You will be ineligible for an acquisition offer whether you met the spend and received a bonus previously or not.

Hope this helps you to plan accordingly.
Message 20 of 23
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.