Amex Zync Activation then account instantly suspended

tag
Revelate
Moderator Emeritus

Re: Amex Zync Activation then account instantly suspended

@Crashem wrote:

@Revelate wrote:

@Crashem wrote:

You got F/R last time and you closed your account.  When you activated your account again, F/R flag is still on.  Obviously, approval process doesn't check for F/R flags which makes sense.

I honestly can't follow your logic on this one ;(.  Need food apparently, but would you mind explaining to me why you consider that to make sense?  A flag in a consumer's database record is a pretty easy thing to check for from a technical perspective.

Technically easy, but that isnt the issue. If consumer voluntarily closed account, why would they auto reject their new app? That's throwing away a perfectly good customer. Amex can't really guess why you left and want to come back. Maybe you swore off the consumer lifestyle and joined a monastery but later left. Maybe you got declared dead in freak boating accident but really lost your memory and just now recovered and was able to fix your credit records and want your Amex back. Smiley Wink But more likely, you got pissed off about f/r and left Amex, but a few months later realized how much you loved Amex and decided to get it back,

Not my point; they absolutely keep records of FR's, and probably there's a different code for whether it was 1) successful, 2) fubar, or 3) not done.  Probably even a 0) initiated... along with a date in all cases.  I guess from that perspective, maybe it doesn't make a whole lot of sense to check that for an initial underwriting perspective, but so many other things get checked, I'm a little surprised it turned up in their systems automatically after the fact.  

Probably their loan approvals is different than their loan servicing system.  Yeah, OK Smiley Wink   I see your point heh.

        
Message 11 of 19
totallymytravis
New Contributor

This is all great info. I'm just feel terrible. We make a fair share of money most comes from my job (50k) then we both run consulting contracts most are under the table (PayPal etc) at about 3k a month. And another 2k a moth in documented pt consulting from home. We were concerned because our tax records are about 30k lower than what we put down with AMEX. That's why we declined ALSO its very invasive. The same applies now. I could go through with the FR yet why should I? Just so I can spend $500 and trigger it again like w/ my green card in 2010. This procedure is bananas. I don't know how they stay in business because it specifically penalaizes customers who have a perfect payment history and a long history with AMEX.
Message 12 of 19
AF_23
Frequent Contributor

@totallymytravis wrote:
. The same applies now. I could go through with the FR yet why should I? Just so I can spend $500 and trigger it again like w/ my green card in 2010. This procedure is bananas. I don't know how they stay in business because it specifically penalaizes customers who have a perfect payment history and a long history with AMEX.

You shouldn't if it bothers you and or you know the result ahead of time. Just tell them to Mod Cut. Please keep your comments g-rated - MarineVietVet, myFICO moderator. and be done with it. Is there a reason why you are so attached to AmEx ? The zync is a completely usless card other than trying for a better card from them  down the road and or hiding utilization for the credit addicts on here.  There are so many cards and lenders out there to chose from as seen on this forum

Message 13 of 19
Watchmann
Valued Contributor

@totallymytravis wrote:
 We make a fair share of money most comes from my job (50k) then we both run consulting contracts most are under the table (PayPal etc) at about 3k a month. And another 2k a moth in documented pt consulting from home. We were concerned because our tax records are about 30k lower than what we put down with AMEX. That's why we declined ALSO its very invasive. The same applies now. I could go through with the FR yet why should I? Just so I can spend $500 and trigger it again like w/ my green card in 2010. This procedure is bananas. I don't know how they stay in business because it specifically penalaizes customers who have a perfect payment history and a long history with AMEX.

Well, why should AMEX be concerned with a client that regularly commits fraud, what could possibly go wrong with this relationship??  As the old saying goes, "when you are deep in a hole, STOP DIGGING", you are not improving your standing here.

Message 14 of 19
CreditScholar
Valued Contributor

@Watchmann wrote:

@totallymytravis wrote:
 We make a fair share of money most comes from my job (50k) then we both run consulting contracts most are under the table (PayPal etc) at about 3k a month. And another 2k a moth in documented pt consulting from home. We were concerned because our tax records are about 30k lower than what we put down with AMEX. That's why we declined ALSO its very invasive. The same applies now. I could go through with the FR yet why should I? Just so I can spend $500 and trigger it again like w/ my green card in 2010. This procedure is bananas. I don't know how they stay in business because it specifically penalaizes customers who have a perfect payment history and a long history with AMEX.

Well, why should AMEX be concerned with a client that regularly commits fraud, what could possibly go wrong with this relationship??  As the old saying goes, "when you are deep in a hole, STOP DIGGING", you are not improving your standing here.

+1. Sorry, but you got exactly what you deserved. I don't see how you could have expected much else.

You're lucky AMEX didn't report you to the IRS for tax evasion. If you complied with the F/R, that's exactly what would happen. Then you'd really be in trouble.

EX 798, EQ 789, TU 784
American Express Platinum (NPSL) || Bank of America Privileges with Travel Rewards Visa Signature - $23,200 CL
Barclays American Airlines Aviator Red World Elite Mastercard - $20,000 CL || Chase IHG Rewards World Mastercard - $25,000 CL
Chase Sapphire Preferred Visa Signature - $12,700 CL || Chase United MileagePlus Club World Elite MasterCard - $26,500 CL
Citibank Hilton Reserve Visa Signature - $20,000 CL || J.P. Morgan Ritz Carlton Visa Signature - $23,500 CL
Message 15 of 19
GST2008
Frequent Contributor

@totallymytravis wrote:
This is all great info. I'm just feel terrible. We make a fair share of money most comes from my job (50k) then we both run consulting contracts most are under the table (PayPal etc) at about 3k a month. And another 2k a moth in documented pt consulting from home. We were concerned because our tax records are about 30k lower than what we put down with AMEX. That's why we declined ALSO its very invasive. The same applies now. I could go through with the FR yet why should I? Just so I can spend $500 and trigger it again like w/ my green card in 2010. This procedure is bananas. I don't know how they stay in business because it specifically penalaizes customers who have a perfect payment history and a long history with AMEX.

It sounds like you are reporting somewhere around 75k on your taxes, but put in around 100-105k on your application.  Why not just put the 75k as household income on the application.  That way you can prove the income you are reporting.  You applied for a Zinc, it's not the Black card.  Proof of an annual income of 35k would probably been sufficient to obtain the Zinc with good credit scores.  If you don't want to prove you have the additional income, and you don't want anybody to know you are making the additional money, then way write in that amount on an application?  For future applications, just list the amount that is on your tax returns.

Current:
TU (5/14/14): 796 (Inquiries; 8/23/13)
EQ (3/23/14): 791 (Inquiries: 8/23/13)
EX (9/24/13): 780 (Inquiries: 7/2/12; 11/20/12; 7/30/13; 8/23/13)

Goals: No new inquiries for 2014, 800 for all CRs by 12/31/14
Message 16 of 19
Crashem
Valued Contributor

@GST2008 wrote:

@totallymytravis wrote:

It sounds like you are reporting somewhere around 75k on your taxes, but put in around 100-105k on your application.  Why not just put the 75k as household income on the application.  That way you can prove the income you are reporting.  You applied for a Zinc, it's not the Black card.  Proof of an annual income of 35k would probably been sufficient to obtain the Zinc with good credit scores.  If you don't want to prove you have the additional income, and you don't want anybody to know you are making the additional money, then way write in that amount on an application?  For future applications, just list the amount that is on your tax returns.

+1 Why lie on your app when you know F/R got you in trouble last time.  You can pretty much get any charge card with decent income (50k).  BTW, I thought household income doesn't count anymore, but only individual unless they applied jointly.

LIMITS IN CARD DESCRIPTIONS
Message 17 of 19
espnjunkie
Established Contributor

This does seem like you get what you deserve I'm sorry to say. The 3,000 per month under the table is taxable income that you are not reporting, hence evading tax. Beware ever getting auditied because the penalties will be severe.

“The real measure of your wealth is how much you’d be worth if you lost all your money.” ~Unknown
Citi Prestige World Elite Mastercard ($35,000.00), Merrill+ Visa Signature ($25,000.00), Amex BCP ($29,700.00), Amex Green (NPSL), Capital One Quicksilver World Mastercard ($10,000.00), Chase Ink Business Bold (NPSL)
TU-778 (12/03/2014))
EX (Plus) - 777 (10/21/2013)
EQ - 735 (April 2013)
Message 18 of 19
totallymytravis
New Contributor

I dont think I have been called such a horrible person in a whileSmiley Happy It really wasnt that big of a deal.

I went back and looked at our tax returns and the difference is actually only about 18k and since we did put down our household income on our application that 18k is almost exactly split evenly between the two of us. Most of the income fell below the reporting guidelines for the individual contracts. Also we are talking about small independent businesses run out of folk's basements or home offices that consult with my wife or myself. So this is by no means a HUGE issue of TAX EVASION that requires us to be SENT TO JAIL forever. 

Anyway... 

We called and the issue simply was due to the fact that our last card was suspended and the hold was never removed. The representative was very helpful she removed the hold. The account is very limited in its spending for the time being. We are happy to be using our card and hope this will be the restart of a great relationship with AMEX. Already I got my first foursquare deal! In the meantime Ill make sure I send myself to tax evasion prision... 

Message 19 of 19
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.