Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Amex Zync Approval!

tag
jla84
Regular Contributor

Amex Zync Approval!

Decided to pull the trigger with Amex Zync and was instantly approved! Even with a 30 day late from Dec 2010 still showing on EX! I had a Chase account for 5 years that was closed by the bank in July 2010 - that was the one with the 30 day late. Started rebuilding my credit with a Cap 1 $500 No Hassle Rewards card with a $39AF - opened in July of this year. I have a fairly decent salary ($50K/year). EQ score (with the 30 day late deleted) is 774. TU and EX, as far as I know from the CMS I use, are still showing the 30 day late. EX FAKO (Credit Sesame) is at 723. 

I've heard some people on this forum say that the Zync is somehow a subprime card, but I'm happy with it for now just to get my foot in the door with prime banks. 

BTW, right before I applied I tried the pre-approval offers and got the old "sorry we can't find any offers for you". Proves that even if you get that message you can still be approved!

Starting Score (07/2011): EQ 706 TU 709
Current Score (6/2013): EQ 740 TU 732 EX 740
Goal Score: 750+ on all 3

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 1 of 35
34 REPLIES 34
clownfico
Valued Member

Re: Amex Zync Approval!

Congrats!

How anyone could view a product from AMEX as being subprime is simply beyond senseless!  When I began seeking credit, Amex was the only creditor that did not view me the way others did. This persisted some agonizingly 15yrs! Even with several five digit CL from other prime lenders, both my Plat y Zync are prized more.

IME, people who know a little something about fiscal responsibility and banking would hardly ever trivialize any Amex product! 

Message 2 of 35
jla84
Regular Contributor

Thank you! 

I've heard that Amex is very good to you if you are good to them, so I'm looking forward to establishing a relationship with them! Also looking forward to whipping out that shiny white card! lol It has to be the coolest "default" design of any card out there! 

Message 3 of 35
john398
Senior Contributor

congrats they still wont let me into the club although i do carry an amex card thru my company but perhaps one day i will have a personal card

Message 4 of 35
RyVision
Valued Contributor

@jla84 wrote:

Decided to pull the trigger with Amex Zync and was instantly approved! Even with a 30 day late from Dec 2010 still showing on EX! I had a Chase account for 5 years that was closed by the bank in July 2010 - that was the one with the 30 day late. Started rebuilding my credit with a Cap 1 $500 No Hassle Rewards card with a $39AF - opened in July of this year. I have a fairly decent salary ($50K/year). EQ score (with the 30 day late deleted) is 774. TU and EX, as far as I know from the CMS I use, are still showing the 30 day late. EX FAKO (Credit Sesame) is at 723. 

I've heard some people on this forum say that the Zync is somehow a subprime card, but I'm happy with it for now just to get my foot in the door with prime banks. 

BTW, right before I applied I tried the pre-approval offers and got the old "sorry we can't find any offers for you". Proves that even if you get that message you can still be approved!

Congrats!  When others mention Zync being a "somehow" (however they phrase it) subprime card, it's not,  it's really just the entry level product for AMEX, if it has a hard limit (explained elsewhere on the forums), that's  just training wheels until they see how you treat them.   It's true that AMEX can be fickle (they have their own in-house scoring system which often comes across as a "luck of the draw" type thing),  but they (like ClownFico mentioned) are hardly subprime no matter what product they issue you.  BTW, knowing they can be fickle is why I don't tickle that "check your spending limit" button on their site. 

AKA 840flippedto480
Message 5 of 35
Anonymous
Not applicable

Congrats on the Zync!  I love mine.  I have only checked my spending limit twice on it.  It said approved when I put in 3k, no need for me to test it any further.

Message 6 of 35
jla84
Regular Contributor

@RyVision wrote:

@jla84 wrote:

Congrats!  When others mention Zync being a "somehow" (however they phrase it) subprime card, it's not,  it's really just the entry level product for AMEX, if it has a hard limit (explained elsewhere on the forums), that's  just training wheels until they see how you treat them.   It's true that AMEX can be fickle (they have their own in-house scoring system which often comes across as a "luck of the draw" type thing),  but they (like ClownFico mentioned) are hardly subprime no matter what product they issue you.  BTW, knowing they can be fickle is why I don't tickle that "check your spending limit" button on their site. 

Thanks for the advice! I'll be sure to limit how many times I check my spending ability. As long as it's over $1000 for now I'm fine with it. My only other open card is a crappy Cap 1 $500 CL. Smiley Sad

Message 7 of 35
CS800
Super Contributor

Congrats !!

I got my Zync recently ad as others said it's your foot in the door and by no means is this card subprime; it's entry level.

Just keep away from checking your spending limits. If you read around here you will read about FR's.

Message 8 of 35
RyVision
Valued Contributor

@jla84 wrote:

Thanks for the advice! I'll be sure to limit how many times I check my spending ability. As long as it's over $1000 for now I'm fine with it. My only other open card is a crappy Cap 1 $500 CL. Smiley Sad

From what I've read around here (the forums here are a wealth of info), if you decide to check your spending limit, you might want to wait until you're actually planning on following through with the purchase. Not just to find out the limit.  AMEX Z is not Cap 1.  Once you have the card and you go online and it says "no pre-set limit" on your page, you can be 99% sure you don't have $1000 cap on your card.

A lot of us have stated (we're older, wiser and have heard the tales, ok, I just like to say we're older and wiser LOL) we avoid that button or anything that might attract the attention of AMEX. They are fickle (I love how one member says it's a card with PMS, I will not argue that at all lol) and they're a bank, they're not a friend, and they will watch you for the first few months, and if they see anything that trips their "FR" trigger, they'll do it and it's a waste of your time and money, plus it locks up your AMEX while info is gathered and reviewed. I think you mentioned your report wasn't spotless, I wouldn't touch that check limit button after getting anything with AMEX with a less than perfect report. Mine are all clean (spotless now, I had one stain lol), with a fair score on EX, I won't touch that button, I'll just use the card (eventually I think, at least once in a while Smiley Very Happy)

AKA 840flippedto480
Message 9 of 35
jla84
Regular Contributor

Thanks. I'm reading up on posts about the check spending ability and F/R right now. I am planning on putting a Macbook Pro on this card in Dec. Probably around $1500. Do you think it's better to call them instead of just hitting the online check spending ability? In my mind it seems better to talk to an actual person and explain what I am buying and showing that I am a responsible member alerting them that there will be an unusual purchase soon, but who knows what Amex thinks. Smiley Wink

Message 10 of 35
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.