Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Amex Zync Credit Score Requirements..

tag
Tommy5746
Regular Contributor

Amex Zync Credit Score Requirements..

Based on everybody's knowledge... What Credit score would you say Amex usually looks for when applying for the Zync card? I've heard of possible low 6's but I find that hard to believe as its still an Amex..

Goal: 700 and an Amex Card!

Chicks Dig Guys With Good Credit Smiley Happy
Message 1 of 14
13 REPLIES 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Amex Zync Credit Score Requirements..

Anywhere from 650-850. They dont use fico scores, instead using their own system. People with very high scores have been approved. People with 650's have been approved. If you can get a zync you can get any charge card so apply for the one you want.

Message 2 of 14
pizzadude
Credit Mentor

Don't focus on your credit score when applying with AMEX.  They are quirky, and routinely deny people with scores over 700, but sometimes people can get approved for charge cards with scores much lower than that.

When you apply, if you have negatives or lates, they need to be several years old at least, AMEX doesn't like recent derogatory remarks.   You should have at least a year of good credit history as well, and don't apply when your cards are maxed out.

Starting with the ZYNC card is a good idea, it is certainly much easier to get than the revolvers.

March2010 FICO® ~ 695 TU, 653 EQ, 697 EX
Message 3 of 14
CS800
Super Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Anywhere from 650-850. They dont use fico scores, instead using their own system. People with very high scores have been approved. People with 650's have been approved. If you can get a zync you can get any charge card so apply for the one you want.

+1

Message 4 of 14
chris2k5
New Contributor

For reference, I had a 700-710 for Experian when I applied for Amex last month. I got denied. My score went down to 695 after that.

I haven't had a revolving account for more than a year yet (oldest was CapOne from Feb 2011) and my credit limits on all of my accounts were not high enough.

CapitalOne Platinum - $1500
Chase Freedom - $5000 Chase Southwest Premier - $3000
Discover More - $3700
Barclays US Airways - $1500
American Express Platinum, Gold PRG, and Zync - NPSL
Message 5 of 14
ArisGreek
Frequent Contributor

That's not true about if you can get Zync you can get any card.  I've commented on this a number of times. Zynch is one tier of charge card and the remaining 4 are another tier.  

===========
TU: 745(TU98) | EQ: 774 | EX: ? | NO BADDIES!
What's in my wallet? AMEX Platinum, United Presidential Plus World Elite MC, AMEX JetBlue, Nordstrom Visa Sig, Chase Sapphire Preferred, Discover More, AMEX Zync, Citi AAdvantage Plat Select Visa, Banana Republic, Home Depot
Message 6 of 14
Anonymous
Not applicable

@ArisGreek wrote:

That's not true about if you can get Zync you can get any card.  I've commented on this a number of times. Zynch is one tier of charge card and the remaining 4 are another tier.  

I disagree. CreditAddict has many, many posts from many beginners proving if you can get 1 you can get any other. As ive said before, they can place a 500 limit on zync just as easy as they can platinum. Your paying for benifits. Unless its the auto bill pay zync you should be able to get any of them.

Message 7 of 14
JusdoNit
Established Contributor

@chris2k5 wrote:

For reference, I had a 700-710 for Experian when I applied for Amex last month. I got denied. My score went down to 695 after that.

I haven't had a revolving account for more than a year yet (oldest was CapOne from Feb 2011) and my credit limits on all of my accounts were not high enough.

@chris2k5 wrote:

I feel your painSmiley Embarassed

Starting Score: 722
Current Score: Now 687 what the hockey sticks...from a 784 (Aug 12 EX 751 EQ Fico)
Goal Score: 800

If your outGo is more than your INcome than your UpKeep will become your downFALL.

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge

Message 8 of 14
Revelate
Moderator Emeritus

@Anonymous wrote:

@ArisGreek wrote:

I disagree. CreditAddict has many, many posts from many beginners proving if you can get 1 you can get any other. As ive said before, they can place a 500 limit on zync just as easy as they can platinum. Your paying for benifits. Unless its the auto bill pay zync you should be able to get any of them.

From everything I've read, they generally don't counter-offer on the other charge cards.  On Zync they do, either with the $500 dollar limit, the autopay, the partially secured, etc.  

It is also an unequivocal fact that Amex does consider the Zync a different tier of charge cards; however, with their approval process being as infamously quirky as it is, I strongly suspect that those stating they're all similarly easy to get may not be quite accurate.  Everyone's mileage will vary, especially with Amex, but when I do try for an Amex charge card at the end of 2012, when I'm guarunteed to be borderline at best, I will definitely be applying for a Zync and hoping for a counter offer.

        
Message 9 of 14
improvingmycredit
Valued Contributor

From everything I've read, they generally don't counter-offer on the other charge cards.  On Zync they do, either with the $500 dollar limit, the autopay, the partially secured, etc.  

It is also an unequivocal fact that Amex does consider the Zync a different tier of charge cards; however, with their approval process being as infamously quirky as it is, I strongly suspect that those stating they're all similarly easy to get may not be quite accurate.  Everyone's mileage will vary, especially with Amex, but when I do try for an Amex charge card at the end of 2012, when I'm guarunteed to be borderline at best, I will definitely be applying for a Zync and hoping for a counter offer.

+1

Zync is marketed as a card for individuals with limited credit and thus so, I am certain has different approval criteria. I don't know of one single other charge product from Amex that can be approved with a $500 or $250 credit limit with a direct payment account tied to it for approval requirement.  Not to mention that the Zync can't be PC'd to another charge product.  JMHO.  I have also seen situations where individuals on an app spree where approved for each charge product - zync, green, gold then denied for Platnium.  There has to be some hierachy besides AF for these cards.  Just some thoughts on the subject.  Smiley Happy

Starting Score: 642
Current Score: EQ 773, EX 780, TU 777 (All FICO)
Goal Score: 800+

Cards: NFCU Flagship 50K, DC 30K, BCP 28.6K, Arrival+ 25K, Citi DP 22.8K, CSR 20.5K, TotalRewards 25K, QuickSilver 20K

Message 10 of 14
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.