Frequent Contributor
LionLaw

Amex Zync NPSL: Does having autopay enabled increase spending ability?

I know there's a version of the Zync card that has a $500 limit if you have autopay enabled, and a $200 limit if you don't. That got me to thinking: does enabling autopay on a card with NPSL have a similar effect?

I'm in my first month with my Zync, I have autopay enabled, and the "check spending ability" tool has approved me for over $4000 (at least). I don't anticipate having a monthly balance any larger than that in the near future, so for me, the question is purely out of curiosity. Does anyone have any first-hand experience with getting increased spending ability by enabling autopay?

Starting Score: 617 (EQ 6/10/12)
Current Score (8/28/13): EQ: 691 EX: 706 TU: 700
Goal Score: 700

Discover it $4,500 (02/2001); Amex PRG (Backdated to 01/2006); Amex ZYNC (Backdated to 07/2006); Wells Fargo Cash Back Visa $5,500 (12/2011); Citi Diamond Preferred MC $2,000 (07/2012); B of A Cash Rewards Visa Signature $5,000 (02/2013)

Mega Contributor
LS2982

Re: Amex Zync NPSL: Does having autopay enabled increase spending ability?

LionLaw wrote:
I know there's a version of the Zync card that has a $500 limit if you have autopay enabled, and a $200 limit if you don't. That got me to thinking: does enabling autopay on a card with NPSL have a similar effect?

I'm in my first month with my Zync, I have autopay enabled, and the "check spending ability" tool has approved me for over $4000 (at least). I don't anticipate having a monthly balance any larger than that in the near future, so for me, the question is purely out of curiosity. Does anyone have any first-hand experience with getting increased spending ability by enabling autopay?

IMO I doubt that it does. The easiest way to increase your spending ability is to gradually increase your spending by hat you can afford and PIF. Charge cards from AMEX tend to have very nice CL's if you treat them right.

Silver Spade Garden Club Member - Last App 12/16/13 - Looking for a clean slate NO INQ's / Diamond Inspired!
Starting Score:
EX (PLUS) 583 EQ FICO 565 TU FICO 590 3/15/2011 / Goal Scores: 720
Current Score: EX FICO (PSECU) 671 (myFICO) N/A / EQ FICO 679 / TU08 FICO 678 / TU VS 706 3/6/2014
Valued Contributor
jamesdwi

[ Edited ]

Your over thinking things, just use the card for what ever you can afford to pay for when the statement cuts, don't worry about the limit untill you get a call or a charge is declined then make a payment the CSR will open the account again. Wash, rinse, repeat.  After a few months AMEX will understand your spending and your ability to repay, you shouldn't get any more calls unless you exceed the norm by 200% or so. 

Don't  exceed your monthly income, make your payments before they are due and everyone will be fine and happy. 

Cards: Chase Southwest 20k & CSP 10k & Amtrak 4.6k, & Freedom 3.3k & Slate 3.3k, FNBO DISC 14.9k Oregon Duck 5k, & AMEX BCP 15k & AMEX Hilton Surpass 7.5k & AMEX Zync NPSL, Sams Club Discover 10k, Paypal Extras MC 6k, CapOne 2.5k, CapOne 750, Amazon 3.9k, Walmart 4.5k, Citi Simplicity 7k, HHonors Gold 1k (moved 5k CL to Simplicity), Discover IT 6.5k and a nice stack of store cards.
Last APP 4/26//2014 no plans for new credit I think I have enough.
Mega Contributor
LS2982

jamesdwi wrote:

Your over thinking things, just use the card for what ever you can afford to pay for when the statement cuts, don't worry about the limit untill you get a call or a charge is declined then make a payment the CSR will open the account again. Wash, rinse, repeat.  After a few months AMEX will understand your spending and your ability to repay, you shouldn't get any more calls unless you exceed the norm by 200% or so. 

Don't  exceed your monthly income, make your payments before they are due and everyone will be fine and happy. 

Words to live by with AMEX!

Silver Spade Garden Club Member - Last App 12/16/13 - Looking for a clean slate NO INQ's / Diamond Inspired!
Starting Score:
EX (PLUS) 583 EQ FICO 565 TU FICO 590 3/15/2011 / Goal Scores: 720
Current Score: EX FICO (PSECU) 671 (myFICO) N/A / EQ FICO 679 / TU08 FICO 678 / TU VS 706 3/6/2014
Moderator Emeritus
webhopper

Nah; auto pay pays on the "please pay by date"

Honestly; the folks with high "spending abilities" pay before this date.

My "spending ability" is over 6k... don't know how much over. I started using the card heavily right out of the gate. I would pay in full every time my balance got to 1500. Then I increased it to 2000. Then 2500. Then I let it get all the way to 2900. Then I "checked spend ability" in may... approved. I actually ended up charging 5750 in may and let the balance report. Any higher than that and I would have had problems actually paying in full. Ytd spend is about 23k on the zync

I got my card in Feb. Hope my story helps!

Starting Score: 08/29/2011 TU 671 EQ 674
Current Score: TU 754 EQ 694 EX 697
Wallet: NFCU Visa Sig 25k, Amex Lowes 22k, NavCheck 15k, Amex PRG, Amex Zync, Discover It 13.5k, Amazon Visa 5k
Platinum Spade Garden Club Member: App Free since 1/1/13. No more apps til who knows when?
MyFICO Fitness Goal: 800s Club!

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge

myFICO is the consumer division of FICO. Since its introduction 20 years ago, the FICO® Score has become a global standard for measuring credit risk in the banking, mortgage, credit card, auto and retail industries. 90 of the top 100 largest U.S. financial institutions use the FICO Score to make consumer credit decisions.

>> About myFICO
FICO Score - The Score that matters
Click to Verify - This site chose VeriSign SSL for secure e-commerce and confidential communications.
Fair Isaac Corporation is a BBB Accredited Financial Service in San Rafael, CA
FOLLOW US Social Media Facebook Twitter Pinterest Google+