Amex Zync and beyond

tag
agforfree5
Contributor

Re: Amex Zync and beyond

@LS2982 wrote:

@agforfree5 wrote:

So from what I have been reading...

It is definitely concluded that the AMEX Zync card would be the best option to get my foot in the door with AMEX. Especially w/ a current FICO score in the mid - upper 600s.

Now my question is about life AFTER OWNING ZYNC:

1) How long do I have to wait and what should I do before applying for another Amex (BCP or TE-Costco)? I would wait at least a year.

2) Since AMEX does not HP when I apply for a NEW card (unless approved) --Do they still review my NEW app using the FICO score they received when I first applied for the Zync? No, they are going to pull a fresh report at the time you app.

For Instance -- If I currently have a 700 Score when I do apply for a Amex BCP, will they still only use the 650 Score from the previous Zync application ?

Im sorry if this sounds a bit confusing but I have seem to hit a dead end. Any input would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

" No, they are going to pull a fresh report at the time you app."

LS2982 -

Ok maybe this is a stupid question... but if they are going to pull a fresh report at the time I app... then how is it only a SP if I get denied and HP if approved ? This way it seems like it is going to be a HP whenever I apply for a new card.. regardless of already being an AMEX member or not.

Do I just have incorrect information that it is only a SP if your denied a new app and are already a member ?

Message 11 of 16
LS2982
Mega Contributor

@agforfree5 wrote:

@LS2982 wrote:

@agforfree5 wrote:

It is definitely concluded that the AMEX Zync card would be the best option to get my foot in the door with AMEX. Especially w/ a current FICO score in the mid - upper 600s.

1) How long do I have to wait and what should I do before applying for another Amex (BCP or TE-Costco)? I would wait at least a year.

2) Since AMEX does not HP when I apply for a NEW card (unless approved) --Do they still review my NEW app using the FICO score they received when I first applied for the Zync? No, they are going to pull a fresh report at the time you app.

For Instance -- If I currently have a 700 Score when I do apply for a Amex BCP, will they still only use the 650 Score from the previous Zync application ?

Im sorry if this sounds a bit confusing but I have seem to hit a dead end. Any input would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

LS2982 -

Ok maybe this is a stupid question... but if they are going to pull a fresh report at the time I app... then how is it only a SP if I get denied and HP if approved ? This way it seems like it is going to be a HP whenever I apply for a new card.. regardless of already being an AMEX member or not.

Do I just have incorrect information that it is only a SP if your denied a new app and are already a member ?

Any creditor has the option of pulling hard or soft on your credit if your a cardmember with them.

AMEX will pull SP when you apply and if approved add a HP. If denied, they will not add a HP.

EQ FICO 548 3/3/16
Message 12 of 16
agforfree5
Contributor

@LS2982 wrote:

@agforfree5 wrote:

@LS2982 wrote:

@agforfree5 wrote:

LS2982 -

Any creditor has the option of pulling hard or soft on your credit if your a cardmember with them.

AMEX will pull SP when you apply and if approved add a HP. If denied, they will not add a HP.

Got it. Thanks.

Message 13 of 16
Revelate
Moderator Emeritus

@agforfree5 wrote:

@LS2982 wrote:

@agforfree5 wrote:

@LS2982 wrote:

@agforfree5 wrote:

LS2982 -

Got it. Thanks.

Whoa hang on Smiley Happy

This isn't the way Amex fully works unless they changed things recently.  Amex traditionally SP's all their customers every two months.  They then store that particular soft pull for 60 days, and they use this stored pull (no matter how innacurate it now is) for their initial decision of possible / denied.  They don't actually pull a new report until you've passed the initial test.

We've had several people over the last year or so outright denied for having reported balances that they'd nuked subsequently; for Amex, you need to get clean two months in advance rather than the one month we recommend for pretty much every other application.  If you know the pattern of Amex SP's for you (through your annual credit report as an example) then you can fine tune your application time a bit more; however, failing to do that, get clean 61 days ahead of your application time.

        
Message 14 of 16
RyVision
Valued Contributor

@Revelate wrote:

@agforfree5 wrote:

@LS2982 wrote:

@agforfree5 wrote:

@LS2982 wrote:

@agforfree5 wrote:

LS2982 -

Got it. Thanks.

This isn't the way Amex fully works unless they changed things recently.  Amex traditionally SP's all their customers every two months.  They then store that particular soft pull for 60 days, and they use this stored pull (no matter how innacurate it now is) for their initial decision of possible / denied.  They don't actually pull a new report until you've passed the initial test.

We've had several people over the last year or so outright denied for having reported balances that they'd nuked subsequently; for Amex, you need to get clean two months in advance rather than the one month we recommend for pretty much every other application.  If you know the pattern of Amex SP's for you (through your annual credit report as an example) then you can fine tune your application time a bit more; however, failing to do that, get clean 61 days ahead of your application time.

That's all pretty much great info, but what Revelate added really added some facts "behind the curtain" and left a lot less mystery about the above.

BTW;  I was approved for Zync NPSL with a sub 700 score and rather high UTIL, tried for a blue online 4 months later, no go.  Then tried for Blue at 8 months post Zync and was approved on the phone with a rep for 3500 (didn't bother with the website), still just under 700 score according to them as well as higher UTIL.    I can only guess that income and how thick ones file is plays an important role in all of that.

I also have to add, I'm no longer recommending AMEX for anyone wishing to add an additional card member and expecting that additional card member to have the original card members date reported to CRAs.  They are fighting that now even though they'll date the card with the original cardmembers date.  I'm not even sure if they'll give you your original date back most of the time now.  I would suggest everyone let that be known to others as well, that there's not guarantee regarding that.

That is the only reason I can see getting back in with AMEX if you were with them long ago, as for new members; eh, it's a card with some good backing, but as for "backdating" not so much anymore, however, new cards on your open account will get that date.  And yes, I got my original member date on both my cards and reports but on only ONE of my additional card members accounts (the first one, Zync) as they could not find her older (much older) original membership date.   I have been calling them a lot about it to straighten it out as that was promised when I added her on my Blue and expect them to keep that promise, PERIOD.

AMEX no longer has that many privileges.......

And yes, I told them that, several times. They lost a big advocate when they broke their word to me about that issue.

AKA 840flippedto480
Message 15 of 16
LS2982
Mega Contributor

@Revelate wrote:

@agforfree5 wrote:

@LS2982 wrote:

@agforfree5 wrote:

@LS2982 wrote:

@agforfree5 wrote:

LS2982 -

Got it. Thanks.

Thats new to me. When I was approved for the Zync they got my latest info from EX. not old information.

EQ FICO 548 3/3/16
Message 16 of 16
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.