Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Amex Zync - renew or cancel?

tag
Duncanrr
Valued Contributor

Re: Amex Zync - renew or cancel?

My cold dead fingers, pry you must.         (Attributed to Yoda talking about his Unicorn!!)

My AMEX Zync is backdated to 1993.  That fact alone makes the $25 worth it.  Business AMEX converts my linked points to more valueable MR points.  ITS A UNICORN.  Enough said.

Starting Score: EQ 551 TU 548 CK 607on 6/8/12, EX 542(AMEX pull 3/4/12)
Current Score: EQ 808 TU --- EX --- CK 804(FAKO-EX 821, EQ 823, TU 803)
Goal Score: 750

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 11 of 18
p-
Valued Contributor

Duncanrr wrote:<  ITS A UNICORN.  Enough said.

Yeeeaaaah!

Message 12 of 18
phillyguy12
Frequent Contributor

im keeping mine, it doesn't see much use i just let my easy pass hit it every month, the no limit is nice even though i know there is some hard number some where, and i use it to keep track of work related expenses, makes requesting reimbursement a lil easier since there isn't any activity other activity other than tolls.  also i think it might help in the mix of credit catagory when it comes to scoring, but its impact is prob. minor at best.  the $25 af isn't enough to make me ditch it just yet, if they were to raise the af at all i would def have to consider it

Amx BCE-25k,Amx Zync-NSPL
Barclay's Mastercard-13.5k
Credit Union Visa-1k
Discover-24k, Khols-2k
Message 13 of 18
budugu
Regular Contributor

@ottergo4 wrote:

I too don't see any value to it since since i just got BCE. My renewal is up in like 4 days when my statement cuts. I have a $0 balance but about 1900 points. Is there any way to salvage those points which are obviously worth less than the annual fee? Can you cancel after annual fee posts and still get a refund?

Amex pro rates the annual fee. 

amex - plat + bcp, Apple Card, Citi Prestige (AU)
Message 14 of 18
slap_happy
Frequent Contributor

@p- wrote:

I'm keeping mine open because I see a value in having a NPSL line that doesn't figure into my utilization.  I haven't found an NPSL card with a lower fee yet.

I use it for daily spending with the exception of Chase bonus categories. I still accrue enough rewards to offset the annual fee, plus if you watch your online portal, they have a rotating door of "offers for you."  For example, a few months ago they had a "spend fifty get 25 back" on Olive Garden, which is a restaurant my wife and kids like and we visit once in a while.  So I selected the offer, and about a month later when we went to OG, sure enough I got a 25 dollar credit.  If you can snag just one of those per year it's a free card.  The offers are always changing, and often include hotels as well.

The luxury of no limit spending and not having to pay before statement date to keep the utilization calc just right has value, as does having an American Express NPSL card on the report during manual review.

Of course, there is always the fun of flashing a weird card nobody has seen before with a fancy chip.

Mine is staying open.

I too am keeping mine for the same reasons, Its also the only "cult" im a part of lol, for $2 a month, which is less then I spend on dunkin donuts everyday, I will keep it and a NPSL is nice just in case. some people see no reason to keep, I really dont see any reason not to, thats just my opinion. hopefully they will resurect the card soon.

Message 15 of 18
Radek7752
Contributor

@bichonmom wrote:

So while Amex is keeping current Zync accts open, there are no longer any rewards. Consequently, I haven't used the card in several months. It's $25 a year, so I'm thinking of cancelling it. (My renewal was in Feb, but I think I still might be able to cancel it.)I was wondering what others are doing.

On the plus side, it's helping my AAoA by 25 yrs. But that will remain for another 10 yrs after closing the acct anyway. I believe as a charge, it's not helping my util at all. So, while having a cool-looking, somewhat unique Amex is nice, I am seriously considering whether or not to keep it.

Any thoughts? I know a lot of people here got the Zync a couple of years back, so I'm curious what you guys are doing. Smiley Happy

I once had great plans for the Zync card when they started product changing them last year. Unfortunately, I don't really utilize MR(E) points anymore since I have other rewards that better suit my needs. It grew onto me so much that I, like several others, decided to hold onto it because of its "cult" following. It was also my first AmEx, and I got it as a birthday gift to myself for my 20th birthday a few years ago.

Additionally, my Zync has always had an exposure limit several times my highest credit line, and that alone is enough to hold my interest. The annual fee is about the same as a plate at the Cheesecake Factory, so I don't mind paying it for the card.

Lastly, I really like the offers available for shopping and dining out that AmEx still makes available to Zync holders. Keep it!

BoA: Virgin Atlantic World Elite Mastercard
Chase: Sapphire Preferred (WMC)/Freedom/Amazon/Auto Loan (41k)
Citi: Thank You Preferred/Forward/Simplicity
AmEx: Zync/Blue Cash/Starwood Preferred
Discover: IT
GE: JCP/Walmart Discover
Message 16 of 18
bichonmom
Senior Contributor

Thanks for the replies! Some good points. I actually didn't realize that you could still get MR points with it. I thought they had discontinued all of the rewards associated with the card. I guess it was just the additional packs that they stopped issuing. Though the points aren't worth very much, at least it is something.

I do like having a unique Amex, but didn't know it had "cult" status. Smiley Happy $25 a yr for the backdating is worth it alone; but any new Amex I were to get would do the same thing for me. I didn't think of PC-ing, but don't really want a high AF card, esp since I already have BCE.

Has anyone had any luck getting Amex to waive their AFs?

EQ FICO 750 | TU FICO 761 (Walmart) | EX FAKO 767 | Goal: 800+

Edits, funky spacing and spelling due to my iPad not getting along with the forum editor!

Message 17 of 18
p-
Valued Contributor

bichonmom wrote: Has anyone had any luck getting Amex to waive their AFs?

Good luck with that one...

Message 18 of 18
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.