tag
CreditScholar
Valued Contributor

Re: Amex Zync with chip?

@SuperKirby wrote:

@Ron1 wrote:

Do they have for Amex Zync?

Ron.

I'd be surprised if they have the EMV for the Zync...

That was my initial reaction too.

EX 798, EQ 789, TU 784
American Express Platinum (NPSL) || Bank of America Privileges with Travel Rewards Visa Signature - $23,200 CL
Barclays American Airlines Aviator Red World Elite Mastercard - $20,000 CL || Chase IHG Rewards World Mastercard - $25,000 CL
Chase Sapphire Preferred Visa Signature - $12,700 CL || Chase United MileagePlus Club World Elite MasterCard - $26,500 CL
Citibank Hilton Reserve Visa Signature - $20,000 CL || J.P. Morgan Ritz Carlton Visa Signature - $23,500 CL
Message 21 of 36
chadwick
New Contributor

@thom02099 wrote:

@SuperKirby wrote:

Anyone literally received their Zync with EMV Chip yet? Literally in their hands right now?

+1 ! ! !  Inquiring minds want to know!

I just got done chatting with an AMEX CSR, asked for the EMV (chip and signature) Zync card.  At first, he stated that it was not available on the Zync, then tried to push ExpressPay.  I kept on him about the EMV chip, he checked further, said it was not available on the Zync RIGHT NOW, but would be available after October 30th, 2013.  I also tried to slide in a question about Zync's future, asked him if the delay could be because of a restructuring of benefits and a "rebranding" of the card, and he said that he couldn't comment on that. Could mean nothing...but could mean something as well !  !

I wonder what's going to happen on/after 10/30/13?! Foaming at the mouth for a chance at my own unicorn!

Message 22 of 36
SuperKirby
Established Contributor

New Unicorn!?!!?!

Smiley Very Happy

Message 23 of 36
thom02099
Valued Contributor

@SuperKirby wrote:

New Unicorn!?!!?!

Smiley Very Happy

Glad I kept my Unicorn, but would be AWESOME if they make it available again!  Relaunch of a better benefited card, I would hazard a guess, be wildly successful, particiularly with message board/forum denizens ! !

Message 24 of 36
slap_happy
Frequent Contributor

a ressurection of the uni would be great, elimanate the plain gold and bump up the zync! Smiley Happy

Message 25 of 36
SuperKirby
Established Contributor

+1, the regular Gold card is useless. I bet no one has it these days. Add some new features to the Zync!

Message 26 of 36
p-
Valued Contributor

SuperKirby wrote: Anyone literally received their Zync with EMV Chip yet? Literally in their hands right now?

thom02099 wrote: +1 ! ! !  Inquiring minds want to know!

I just got done chatting with an AMEX CSR, asked for the EMV (chip and signature) Zync card.  At first, he stated that it was not available on the Zync, then tried to push ExpressPay.  I kept on him about the EMV chip, he checked further, said it was not available on the Zync RIGHT NOW, but would be available after October 30th, 2013.  I also tried to slide in a question about Zync's future, asked him if the delay could be because of a restructuring of benefits and a "rebranding" of the card, and he said that he couldn't comment on that. Could mean nothing...but could mean something as well !  !

I had the same experience as the OP.  The chat rep told me my new EMV unicorn was on the way and there was no turning back.  Instead, over the weekend when I tried to use my Unicorn it was declined for a small 500 dollar purchase.  Not cool.  I also got an email from USAA notifying me that the card number had changed.

The new card arrived with a new number and no EMV chip.  A new chat rep apologized and tried to re-send but the system blocker her because I had received a new card less than ten days prior. 

After my ten days were up, I contacted chat reps again.  This time I got the line that EMV was not available on the unicorn at all.  And an attempt to change me to expresspay.

I am less than satisfied with this experience.  Hopefully the rep that talked to you was right about October 30th.  Let me know if you hear anything else.

Message 27 of 36
SuperKirby
Established Contributor

@p- wrote:

SuperKirby wrote: Anyone literally received their Zync with EMV Chip yet? Literally in their hands right now?

thom02099 wrote: +1 ! ! !  Inquiring minds want to know!

I had the same experience as the OP.  The chat rep told me my new EMV unicorn was on the way and there was no turning back.  Instead, over the weekend when I tried to use my Unicorn it was declined for a small 500 dollar purchase.  Not cool.  I also got an email from USAA notifying me that the card number had changed.

The new card arrived with a new number and no EMV chip.  A new chat rep apologized and tried to re-send but the system blocker her because I had received a new card less than ten days prior. 

After my ten days were up, I contacted chat reps again.  This time I got the line that EMV was not available on the unicorn at all.  And an attempt to change me to expresspay.

I am less than satisfied with this experience.  Hopefully the rep that talked to you was right about October 30th.  Let me know if you hear anything else.

I've heard many similar stories on TOBBs - poor CS on Amex's part not knowing thier own products.

Even after October 30th, I'd be suprised if they will add EMV to a discontinued product (not a good move on a business stand point). If they are to add EMV, then maybe there's a sign of a return of the Unicorn.

Message 28 of 36
p-
Valued Contributor

SuperKirby wrote:  Even after October 30th, I'd be surprised if they will add EMV to a discontinued product (not a good move on a business stand point). If they are to add EMV, then maybe there's a sign of a return of the Unicorn.

A sign of the return? oooh.... I wonder.
Message 29 of 36
thom02099
Valued Contributor

@p- wrote:

SuperKirby wrote:  Even after October 30th, I'd be surprised if they will add EMV to a discontinued product (not a good move on a business stand point). If they are to add EMV, then maybe there's a sign of a return of the Unicorn.

A sign of the return? oooh.... I wonder.

Based on messages I've read on TOBB (or TOMB!)....it could be so.  Insider info indicated that a return could be in the works...and it would be a first, I think.  Return of a so-called dead card.  Or...maybe it was not dead at all!  Maybe...just maybe...it was a part of AMEX's nefarious plot to get us all worked up on the Return Of The Zync ! ! !

BUWAAAAAHHHHHAAAAAHHHHHAAAA ! !

Message 30 of 36
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.