Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Amex advice needed

tag
Watchmann
Valued Contributor

Re: Amex advice needed

Many years ago when I was living in Australia I always made my card payments at the local AMEX office, which is one of the advantages of having an AMEX card.  I think it was for $2,400 or thereabouts.  Usually it took about 3 days before it was credited to my AMEX account.  It was posted to my account ok but the check seemed to have gotten lost and it never cleared through my bank.  I did not go running back to AMEX to see what happened, and about 3 months later the check went through my bank.  In my view once you have fulfilled your requirement with a firm it is up to them to bill you properly or credit your payment.  And in this environment I would stay off the phone with AMEX.  Let them work the situation out.  In a month or so you will probably see a correction on your account. If you start asking questions now you will probably end up with problems later.  Keep quiet.  Let common sense rule this situation.
Message Edited by Watchmann on 05-08-2009 12:00 AM
Message 11 of 21
score_building
Senior Contributor

imo, it's a bit pretentious to imply a discussion of honor and values is related to a general recommendation to stay off the phone with amex period, but to each his own.

DCU EQ 5.0, Citi EQ 08 Bankcard, PenFed EX NG2
EX 08: AFCU, Amex, Chase, PSECU EX 98(?)
TU 08: Barclays, Discover
Message 12 of 21
Itsmeagain
Established Contributor

@score_building wrote:

imo, it's a bit pretentious to imply a discussion of honor and values is related to a general recommendation to stay off the phone with amex period, but to each his own.

And I find it ironic that the discussion can be about anything BUT honor.  After all, "Honor isn't about making the right choices.  It's about dealing with the consequences." ~Midori Koto

Starting Score: TU 737 EQ 721
Current Score: TU 741 EQ 741
Goal Score: TU 765 EQ 760

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 13 of 21
score_building
Senior Contributor

@Itsmeagain wrote:

@score_building wrote:

And I find it ironic that the discussion can be about anything BUT honor.  After all, "Honor isn't about making the right choices.  It's about dealing with the consequences." ~Midori Koto

ironic?  you seem to believe staying off the phone with amex is dishonorable itsme, if that works for you great. but it is calling, for almost any reason these days, that can have the most negative consequences Smiley Wink

the point is to not contact amex while thery're in bi polar mode, not to keep their money itsmeagain, get over it.  no one is saying steal or be dishonest, if there was an error it will be resolved without a lofty moral relativistic intervention.  you're completely missing the decisive point.

Message 14 of 21
Itsmeagain
Established Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

I'm uncomfortable with a credit that I'm not owed, but at the same time do not want to call Amex unless I absolutely have to.    I'd rather not give them a reason to look any more closely at me than they already do.

The OP is not comfortable with keeping something that was not freely given.  He received it as a mistake.  Is that not the bane of an honorable man?  His concern is for the consequences of his decision.

Message 15 of 21
score_building
Senior Contributor

no one is saying to keep anything- just not to call right now.  ultimately the choice to call now or not is his.  the question was never if he should keep what's not his but rather if he should call now or hang tight to see if it resolves organically as it most likely will.
Message 16 of 21
Itsmeagain
Established Contributor

Okay, so maybe I am "pretentious" to insert honor into a discussion about credit.  Perhaps I have "missed the decisive point".  But I will NOT "get over it".  In my house, we still believe and practice "Death before Dishonor".

And your belief that it is OK to just wait and see what happens is not how we would handle the situation.  What if it is never corrected?  How long do you wait?  1 month?, 2 months?, a year?  Soon, the need to resolve the issue will wither and die.  And along with that death will be some small portion of your honor.  I don't subscribe to character building by avoiding potentially painfull issues.  But if you can live with the concequences, go for it.

Message 17 of 21
score_building
Senior Contributor

@Itsmeagain wrote:

In my house, we still believe and practice "Death before Dishonor".

i say more power to you, nothing wrong with that. 

where is the dishonor in deciding it is not incumbent upon the customer to go chasing after the (in this case bi polar) issuer b4 they have a chance to correct a mistake if one exists? 

maybe you can unveil for us how that fits into the overarching "death before dishonor' framework you've set up regarding contacting an issuer immediately vs. first allowing them to resolve a potential discrepancy in its natural course of review.

FTR most bank errors that benefit the customer are caught (without death OR dishonor, at least of or by the customer) and are resolved in relatively short order FWIW.

Message 18 of 21
score_building
Senior Contributor

@Itsmeagain wrote:

to character building by avoiding potentially painfull issues.  But if you can live with the concequences, go for it.

character building?  painful issues?  whatever works for you. i am not going to attack your integrity simply because you feel your 'house rules' are the focus of the the thread topic and non family members are somehow 'dishonorable' for staying focused on the amex advice requested:  to call or not to call, that was the question.  

Message 19 of 21
Itsmeagain
Established Contributor

@score_building wrote:
to call or not to call, that was the question.  

Question asked, question answered . . . . . several times.

Message 20 of 21
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.