Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Amex amount due?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Amex amount due?

So I have am Amex plat charge card, and I just noticed that where my statement had said I owed 16k this month, that it now says I only owe 5k, because I bought something I didn't like for 9500 and returned it, so that credit has been applied to my account.  Does this mean that I actually only owe 5k presently?  This seems like it isn't right, as people could kick their balances downt the road indefintiely, but then again, if I don't have to pay it, I'll pay on other bills that are interest bearing.  Anyone know the particualrs of this, and if it will hurt my internal score etc? Thanks!

Message 1 of 9
8 REPLIES 8
Jaylima91
Established Contributor

Re: Amex amount due?

You owe 5k. Paying 16k isn't an option since you would be overpaying by over 200%.
Message 2 of 9
Gnut
Established Member

Just to specify, Your statement cut and you owed 16K. After that you bought an item, and later returned it, so the credit was added to the 16K correct? Im pretty sure that is how amex does it and it has mest me up a few times too. On your next statement the charge for the 9K item will still show so you will owe that plus whatever new purchases you make for that statement period.

Message 3 of 9
youdontkillmoney
Valued Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

So I have am Amex plat charge card, and I just noticed that where my statement had said I owed 16k this month, that it now says I only owe 5k, because I bought something I didn't like for 9500 and returned it, so that credit has been applied to my account.  Does this mean that I actually only owe 5k presently?  This seems like it isn't right, as people could kick their balances downt the road indefintiely, but then again, if I don't have to pay it, I'll pay on other bills that are interest bearing.  Anyone know the particualrs of this, and if it will hurt my internal score etc? Thanks!

^^^^^^

Call AMEX and have them explain it to you, certain large purchases may qualify for "sign and travel" so you really owe all of it but if you just pay the statement balance you pay interest on that portion; so it gets confusing. So call them to get it sorted out.

Message 4 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

Just to clarify-- I owed near 16k, and I paid nothing at all, as it's only been a few days since I got my statement.  Then I bought something for 9500, and returned it, and it now it shows it as if I had made a payment of 9500, and it says "please pay 6k by X date" next week- so it's like I did pay 9500 towards my bill, but I didn't... I literally just bought something and returned it.  I still have a balance of the 16k plus other charges, so about 20k now, but it says I only need to pay about 6k now... so is that what I should do?  The rest will be due next month?  I don't mind paying what I owed orginally, but I would prefer to pay less of course... but my concern is that I don't want my internal score going down.  My thinking, though, is as long as I follow the directions on the website, and pay what they tell me, surely my score don't go down?  Thoughts?

Message 5 of 9
Berk
Established Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Just to clarify-- I owed near 16k, and I paid nothing at all, as it's only been a few days since I got my statement.  Then I bought something for 9500, and returned it, and it now it shows it as if I had made a payment of 9500, and it says "please pay 6k by X date" next week- so it's like I did pay 9500 towards my bill, but I didn't... I literally just bought something and returned it.  I still have a balance of the 16k plus other charges, so about 20k now, but it says I only need to pay about 6k now... so is that what I should do?  The rest will be due next month?  I don't mind paying what I owed orginally, but I would prefer to pay less of course... but my concern is that I don't want my internal score going down.  My thinking, though, is as long as I follow the directions on the website, and pay what they tell me, surely my score don't go down?  Thoughts?

I always pay balance due on statement and if I get a credit it will show up on next month's statement. You could always call (as several have already suggested) Amex and find out exactly what you owe. You owed 16K when your statement cut. You haven't payed anything on that statement yet. You bought something within your new statement perior that could not have been reflected on your past statement. So, you owe 16K just like your statement says.

Message 6 of 9
Gnut
Established Member

The way Amex does it, they do add the credit to your current outstanding bill which would be the past statement. The problem is that the 9.5K purchase will show on his next statement and the credit will be on the past statement so if he doesn't budget right he could have some problems. As for the OP, as long as you pay correctly I dont see why your internal score with Amex would go down.

Message 7 of 9
Jaylima91
Established Contributor

Now I understand what OP is stating. I thought the 16k balance was including the 9.5k purchase and he then returned the item so now owes 5k. I now understand what he means. Sorry for the misinformation, OP. You should contacts amex regarding that situation.

Message 8 of 9
EmpressLuv
Contributor

Is best to call them and let them explain or just pay the 16K. I was in a similar situation so last year and paid what they said I owed...then the next statement they came up with some crazy number saying I owed which of course I didnt budget for....it was a fight for them to explain the statement to me...ended up not paying it, they ended up hitting me with a hard limit and reported 30 day late..after a couple of months, the hard limit was placed for 8 months then magically was removed..after i saw it was removed I called them about removing the late on my credit reports and they did.  But all this to say, either call them for a better clarification or if it allows u to pay the 16k pay it, if not pay what they saying but just expect the balance to be on the next statement.

My Wallet: AMEX Gold NPSL, AMEX BCE 1K, Express 1350, Victoria Secret 2250, Macy's 2000, Kay's 7600, Capital One 1400, Capital One 4000, Quicksilver One 3500; Quicksilver 3000; QVC 3500, Walmart 6000, Pier 1 1250, Kohl's 1500, JCrew 1550, JCPenny 3600, Discover 1500, Lowes 12000, Amazon 2400

Lender Pull: 2/16/13 TU: 672 EX: 681 EQ: 671
Current Scores: 2/6/15: TU 696 EX: 679 EQ: 658
Goal Score: 700
Message 9 of 9
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.