Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Amex & CSP after BK

tag
Justrebuilding
Regular Contributor

Re: Amex & CSP after BK

Any ideas on if I need to app for a charge card first and then the Blue Cash, or if I should just go for the Blue Cash right away?

Chase Sapphire Reserve 10k Cap 1 QS 15K, Cap 1 QS 5K, Cap 1 QS 4K, Cap 1 QS 4K, GE Care Cr 7K NFCU Cash Rewards 10K Walmart 1.3K NavCheck 5K Freedom 6K Freedom 2.5K Hyatt 4K Sallie Mae 5K Barclay Rewards 3K Macy's 1K
US Airways 1.5K, Discover 8K,
Message 11 of 19
Networth
Frequent Contributor

Mmm I tend to play it safe so I would go for the charge card first. Get a Green or Gold, PIF for 6 months-1 year. Than apply for one of their credit(revolver) cards. Again I am just cautious with HP's so thats what I would do. Show Amex they can trust you, and than ask for a credit card once your foot is in the door.

Chase Sapphire Reserve - American Express Blue Sky - Chase Freedom - - Chase Freedom Unlimited - BankAmericard Travel Rewards -

TU 813 EX 809 EQ 812
Message 12 of 19
takeshi74
Senior Contributor

I didn't have any luck with either with a BK reporting (neither included in BK).  Approved for both after the BK fell off.  YMMV.  IIRC there was a recent thread where someone got a Chase approval with an old BK reporting.

Message 13 of 19
Tricky3
Valued Member

Yesterday I was just approved for a Amex Platinum Card!  This is after my BK in June 2006 and I did burn Amex on a Costco Gold Rewards card for ~4k.  I have sent in a number of tries in the last few years and have always been decided.  About a year ago I even reached out to Amex on my old card and they said that playing off my 4k debt *might* help me get a new card.  I toyed with paying it off but did not.

Since my BK I am squeaky clean on my credit reports - I have CaptialOne, Chase SWA & Marriott cards with fairly high limits (and a few department cards). For the last 5 years I have never carried a balance - I'm a ways pay off kind of a guy now days.

My credits scores (depending on my reported balances they are higher/Lower due to travel).

Exp: 738, EQ: 701, TU:693

Message 14 of 19
Justrebuilding
Regular Contributor

@Networth wrote:

Mmm I tend to play it safe so I would go for the charge card first. Get a Green or Gold, PIF for 6 months-1 year. Than apply for one of their credit(revolver) cards. Again I am just cautious with HP's so thats what I would do. Show Amex they can trust you, and than ask for a credit card once your foot is in the door.

Thx, that is what my gut is telling me to do

Chase Sapphire Reserve 10k Cap 1 QS 15K, Cap 1 QS 5K, Cap 1 QS 4K, Cap 1 QS 4K, GE Care Cr 7K NFCU Cash Rewards 10K Walmart 1.3K NavCheck 5K Freedom 6K Freedom 2.5K Hyatt 4K Sallie Mae 5K Barclay Rewards 3K Macy's 1K
Message 15 of 19
Justrebuilding
Regular Contributor

@takeshi74 wrote:

I didn't have any luck with either with a BK reporting (neither included in BK).  Approved for both after the BK fell off.  YMMV.  IIRC there was a recent thread where someone got a Chase approval with an old BK reporting.

Thx, I was able to get my Freedom after a recon, I'm anticipating having to recon on the CSP as will. Hope they will work with me!

Message 16 of 19
Justrebuilding
Regular Contributor

@Tricky3 wrote:

Yesterday I was just approved for a Amex Platinum Card!  This is after my BK in June 2006 and I did burn Amex on a Costco Gold Rewards card for ~4k.  I have sent in a number of tries in the last few years and have always been decided.  About a year ago I even reached out to Amex on my old card and they said that playing off my 4k debt *might* help me get a new card.  I toyed with paying it off but did not.

Since my BK I am squeaky clean on my credit reports - I have CaptialOne, Chase SWA & Marriott cards with fairly high limits (and a few department cards). For the last 5 years I have never carried a balance - I'm a ways pay off kind of a guy now days.

My credits scores (depending on my reported balances they are higher/Lower due to travel).

Exp: 738, EQ: 701, TU:693

Congrats on the approval! Hoping to get those kind of scores in 2014!

Message 17 of 19
Tricky3
Valued Member

Just got my Amex Platinum today and called in since I wanted to get their new Chip/Sign (wished they had Chip/PIN).  When I called they thanked me on my long membership.  I said, since when - which he responded since '96.  Which is my before BK membership.   They said I have to wait 10 days before getting a new card with Chip/Sign and when I get that card it will be back dated to '96!  Very supprised since that might give me 18 years on my Credit Reports  for my Amex Card (or at least I think so).

Yep, even online it now show "Card Member Since 1996" - Sweet!

Message 18 of 19
yudeology101
Senior Contributor

Gluck on your planned app spree!   Is your BK fallin off from your report?  I would recommend that it is completely off from your CR, especially from EX when apping for AMEX.  As far as Chase goes,  I was never pre-qualified for anything in the past and even today, they didn't even have the "Can't find any offers for you, but we think you'll like this one" offer.  I still applied, and was approved.  However, I do bank w/ Chase and i think that was a huge help. 

Anyways,  keep us updated on your progress.  We're here for ya, best of luck to you on your app spree soon.

JPM Ritz Carlton $8k I UMP Club $8k I CSP $8k | Chase Hyatt $5k I AMEX Green NPSL I AMEX Delta $2k I Citi AA $2k | C1 QS $4.5k
BOA UNC-CH Alumni $6k I Hawaiian WEMC $3k I Arrival $6.5k I IT $1.5k | Merrill+ $2k | Lowes $12k | Apple $2k | +23more
Scores: EQ:671 (FICO 11) EX:686 (FICO N/C) TU:686 (FICO N/C) *8-5-14*
Overall UTIL: 14% *Gardening Since: 1/20/16*
------------------------------------------------------------
Need to stay out of trouble.... Go Heels!!! ... GC Watchlist ( #1 since 12-12-13)
Message 19 of 19
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.