Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Amex and aggressive use of 0% promos

tag
wasCB14
Super Contributor

Amex and aggressive use of 0% promos

Some have said that Amex doesn't like it when people carry balances. Others say it's just not true, or that they dislike it in certain cases.

How aggressively (high utilization for many months) have others used Amex's 0% promos? With or without AA, FR, IV, requests for other information, or pay-or-else calls? Was it tricky to get a CLI?

BBP doesn't report, and I wouldn't object to a 0% loan for 15 months (with not much more than minimum payments).

Personal spend: Amex Gold, Amex Schwab Plat., BofA PR+CCR(x2), Costco
Business use: Amex Bus. Plat., BBP, Lowes Amex AU, CFU AU
Perks: Delta Plat., United Explorer, IHG49, Hyatt, "Old SPG"
Mostly SD: Freedom Flex, Freedom, Arrival
Upgrade/Downgrade games: ED, BCE
SUB chasing: AA Platinum Select
15 REPLIES 15
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Amex and aggressive use of 0% promos

I carried a $1K BT on my BCE for about 6 months because of the 0% promo rate, also carried just over $1K purchase balance for a spell too.

Never once recieved hate mail or sideeye from them, or any type of behavior to indicate they were put out by it. Recieved 3X CLI just like everyone else has. Als was approved for 2 other cards from them this year.

Message 2 of 16
Anonymous
Not applicable

I got my BCE at a $2k limit and I maxed it out for my promo APR. 60 days in I requested my limit be $3k and got it Immediately. I was not a member at this forum and I was unaware of the 3x CLI so I way lowballed myself. I still owe about $700 and my 0% APR ends Jan 2019. 

Message 3 of 16
wasCB14
Super Contributor

Good to know CLIs happen...I'm not sure I'd get the full 3X with a $9k CL at ~90%...but I might push for something. And I could provide proof of income/assets if necessary.

Message 4 of 16
Anonymous
Not applicable

I went from 5k to 15k to 23.5k on my EveryDay card.  0% APR until October 2018.  I have had a several mutiple thousand $ charges that I have taken a few months to pay down. Utilization was never more than 30%. No AA.  I have paid 20X minimum or more to pay it down reasonably quickly.

Message 5 of 16
wasCB14
Super Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

I went from 5k to 15k to 23.5k on my EveryDay card.  0% APR until October 2018.  I have had a several mutiple thousand $ charges that I have taken a few months to pay down. Utilization was never more than 30%. No AA.  I have paid 20X minimum or more to pay it down reasonably quickly.

I suppose I could pay it mostly down, then seek a CLI. The latter might be tricky without the former, and I'll probably have some comparable transactions in a few months, for which I'll need more credit available one way or the other.

Message 6 of 16
Anonymous
Not applicable

A bit off-topic, but I've been making some use of Amex's "Pay Over Time" plan - and so far, so good.

A chat with CS seemed to confirm that Amex likes a balance so long as it's paid beyond "minimum". 

Message 7 of 16
MrDisco99
Valued Contributor

I carried around $2K on my EDP for a few months ($20K limit).  I apped for a Hilton Surpass while I was carrying it and got approved, though they lowballed the SL ($3K).  After paying it off, my SLs on Delta and ED were up to 5 digits again.

I also carried a couple hundred on the BCE while I paid minimums and waited for rewards to show up so I could actually use them and SD the card.  This took several months due to being short a few cents and having to spend and wait again.  They gave me a CLI on the card while I waited ($12K to $25K).

All of this was during 0% intro periods.  Never a cross word from them.

Message 8 of 16
Gregory1776
Valued Contributor

I had a balance of around 1.7K for about four months. Charged some groceries over those months and PIF those charges, didn’t pay much down from the 1.6-1.7K, until February, when I requested 3X and got It instantly.

Message 9 of 16
wasCB14
Super Contributor

Data points are appreciated...though I do kind of wish there were a few from people with $20k balances on $25k cards, paying $2k a month...

The limited business revenues (vs. other income) and limited business spend vs. personal spend on the card might pose a difficulty if I asked for CLI. And, ultimately, I got the card for long-term rewards and not so much a 0% promo.

Message 10 of 16
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.