Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Amex app planning

tag
Kennie02
Frequent Contributor

Amex app planning

I am no where ready to app for an Amex. But I am trying to plan for the future. I was reading some posts and wondering... Is it still recommended to begin a relationship w/ Amex by getting a Green Amex? Having opened too many cards using the Shopping cart trick I don't wanna open cards I don't need. I honestly would have no use for the charge card. I would like the Costco TE or BCE. I want the gas rewards and get 95% of my gas at Costco.

NFCU cash $25k | BofA Custom Cash $25k | Amex BCP $18k| Costco Anywhere $14.5k | Apple Card $5.25k | Cap One QS $4.5k | Sephora Visa $4k | Discover It $3.5k | Citi DC $3.5k | Citi AA Mile Up $3.1k | Chase Amazon $3k | Amex ED $3k | Chase IHG $3k | Chase Freedom Unlimited $2.5k | Chase Freedom $2.5k | Citi Rewards $2k | Last HP 8/16/22
Starting score 09/2013: 530 Current FICO 8:
Credit Age:
New Accounts:
Inq (6/12/24M):
Message 1 of 18
17 REPLIES 17
TheConductor
Established Contributor

Re: Amex app planning

With your current scores, I don't see you qualifying for another Amex any time soon. The charge card can be a good way to begin building an Amex relationship while you wait for your scores to improve to the point where you can get a revolver.

But it is by no means necessary.  Another option is to simply wait, and garden, until your scores are ready for a card you actually want and need. Plenty of people get Amex revolvers without ever having held an Amex charge account.

Starting: EQ 622 (myFICO 7/7/12), EX 696 (TU FAKO 8/14/12), TU 621 (CK TransRisk 7/24/12), Total CL $1k on 2 TLs
Current: EQ 709 (CCT 2/4/15), EX 704 (CCT 2/4/15) , TU 702 (CCT 2/4/15), Total CL $110.3k on 14 TLs Goal: 740+ x3
My Wallet: Amex BCP $30k, Chase United Explorer $16k, Amex SPG $13.5k, Barclaycard Ring MC $12.5k, Chase CSP VS $12.2k, Discover it $10.5k, C1 Venture VS $6.5k, Chase Slate $3.5k, Amex Hilton Surpass $2k, Barclaycard Apple V $2k, Chase Freedom V $1100, BoA Cash Rewards V $500, Citi BestBuy $500
My Loans: Prosper $25k/36mo, Prosper $17k/36mo
My Business: Chase Ink VS $5k, Amex BRG NPSL (> 10k),
Message 2 of 18
09Lexie
Moderator Emerita

@Kennie02 wrote:

I am no where ready to app for an Amex. But I am trying to plan for the future. I was reading some posts and wondering... Is it still recommended to begin a relationship w/ Amex by getting a Green Amex? Having opened too many cards using the Shopping cart trick I don't wanna open cards I don't need. I honestly would have no use for the charge card. I would like the Costco TE or BCE. I want the gas rewards and get 95% of my gas at Costco.

Amex approvals  are  not as difficult as perceived. Mid 600 scores have been approved for charge cards, which By the way... Have the same UW criteria. If you want a revolver your chances increase with scores in the 700's. 

Let your new accts age at least 6 mos. 

Message 3 of 18
heyarrnold
Valued Contributor

@09Lexie wrote:

@Kennie02 wrote:

Amex approvals  are  not as difficult as perceived. Mid 600 scores have been approved for charge cards, which By the way... Have the same UW criteria. If you want a revolver your chances increase with scores in the 700's. 

+1. When I was approved for the BCP, my scores were in the 680's ^_^

Message 4 of 18
injustifiiable
Valued Contributor

@heyarrnold wrote:

@09Lexie wrote:

@Kennie02 wrote:

+1. When I was approved for the BCP, my scores were in the 680's ^_^

+2...660's when I was approved for a charge card ...they won't let me have a revolver yet though (I've tried at least three times already)

Scores 5/15/2016 (clean reports!): TU Walmart FICO: 696 | EQ FICO: 679 | EX AMEX FICO: 680

In my new wallet: American Express Green EMV: PSL $2000 | BankAmericard Cash Rewards Visa EMV: $2500 | Citi AAdvantage Platinum Select World MasterCard: $6400 | Barclaycard Arrival World MasterCard: $1000 | Discover IT: $2500 | Amazon Rewards Visa Signature: $1500 | Chase Freedom: $1500 | Capital One QuicksilverOne MasterCard: $2100 | Target: $2800 | J.Crew $21,550 | Marvel (Captain America) MasterCard: $6000
Message 5 of 18
red259
Super Contributor

I was approved for PRG and BCP same day without having any prior amex relationship, so having a prior relationship isnt necessary for revolver. Six months prior to that i was denied an amex charge card for lack of revolving accounts. My advice would be to garden and then go straight for the revolver you want. I actually use my PRG card a decent amount, but will be dumping it when the AF comes due. 

;
Starting Score: EQ: 714, TU 684
Current Score: EQ: 725 7/30/13, TU 684 6/2013, Exp 828 5/2018, Last App 8/5/17
Goal Score: 800 (Achieved!) In garden until Sepetember 2019
Message 6 of 18
baller4life
Super Contributor

Approved for Delta Gold Skymiles with a 674 and 2 baddies AND 40% util Smiley Very Happy. #winning

Message 7 of 18
cflowers0115
Regular Contributor

I cannot describe my jealousy. AMEX seems to hate the idea of me as a client with a passion.

Starting Scores: 8/13/18: EQ: 556 TU: 521 EX: 544
Message 8 of 18
heyarrnold
Valued Contributor

@cflowers0115 wrote:

I cannot describe my jealousy. AMEX seems to hate the idea of me as a client with a passion.

What were your reasons for denial?

Message 9 of 18
Kennie02
Frequent Contributor

Thanks for all the replies! Looks like I could be ready in January! But I will wait and see what my scores are and just go for the revolver.
NFCU cash $25k | BofA Custom Cash $25k | Amex BCP $18k| Costco Anywhere $14.5k | Apple Card $5.25k | Cap One QS $4.5k | Sephora Visa $4k | Discover It $3.5k | Citi DC $3.5k | Citi AA Mile Up $3.1k | Chase Amazon $3k | Amex ED $3k | Chase IHG $3k | Chase Freedom Unlimited $2.5k | Chase Freedom $2.5k | Citi Rewards $2k | Last HP 8/16/22
Starting score 09/2013: 530 Current FICO 8:
Credit Age:
New Accounts:
Inq (6/12/24M):
Message 10 of 18
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.