Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Amex app question

tag
drsmith
Frequent Contributor

Amex app question

I'm sure the answer is out there, but I'm wondering how multiple apps work for Amex.

My roommate would like to add an amex to her wallet, but she's worried she won't be approved for a credit card.

Can she apply for the costco card for example, and if declined try for the green/gold or something?

Thanks

Starting Score: 703
Current Score: EQ 820 4/11/16
Goal Score: 800

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 1 of 11
10 REPLIES 10
madmann26
Valued Contributor

Re: Amex app question

That's a million dollar question.

What does her profile look like?

Current FICO 9 Scores

Message 2 of 11
drsmith
Frequent Contributor

I'm not sure exactly.

She's on the upswing, and is at least starting to receive mass amounts of pre-approvals. The ones from amex for the gold card are what got her attention.

Starting Score: 703
Current Score: EQ 820 4/11/16
Goal Score: 800

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 3 of 11
ecxpa
Valued Contributor

@drsmith wrote:

I'm sure the answer is out there, but I'm wondering how multiple apps work for Amex.

My roommate would like to add an amex to her wallet, but she's worried she won't be approved for a credit card.

Can she apply for the costco card for example, and if declined try for the green/gold or something?

Thanks

I have similar question; it is my understanding that Amex only considers 1 app at a time and you have to wait 30 days between apps.   I have seen posts on here where a poster had two cards approved from them within days of each.  So I am wondering can or should you apply for multiple cards at the same time

Message 4 of 11
thebusymind
New Contributor

@ecxpa wrote:

@drsmith wrote:

Thanks

I have similar question; it is my understanding that Amex only considers 1 app at a time and you have to wait 30 days between apps.   I have seen posts on here where a poster had two cards approved from them within days of each.  So I am wondering can or should you apply for multiple cards at the same time

I got my Amex Sky Blue and my Plat one day apart from each other.  

Message 5 of 11
ecxpa
Valued Contributor

@thebusymind wrote:

@ecxpa wrote:

@drsmith wrote:

Thanks

I got my Amex Sky Blue and my Plat one day apart from each other.  

Did you apply for both the same day?

Message 6 of 11
Genkeim
Frequent Contributor

Make sure you wait between apps.

I did two apps back to back (BCP and ED) one was auto-cancelled (BCP) and the other (ED) was stuck on "In Progess" for days. Finially called new accounts, they told me the ED app was on hold because of possible fraud (two apps back to back). He released the app and it was instant approval.

The BCP however had to be re-submitted because it was cancelled. It's still "In Progress" since Apr 28th. Called twice and they tell me it's with manual review. So we'll see what they say when I call this week Smiley Happy

NFCU NavCheck $15k | NFCU cashRewards $12.5k | NFCU goRewards $12.5k |AMEX SPG $10k | Citi AA WEMC $6.5k | CSP $5k | Wal-Mart MC $4.5k | US Air WMC $3.9k | Amex Everyday $2k | Amex BCE $2k | Chase Freedom $1k | Discover IT $800
Current Scores:Equifax 697 (myFICO 4/14), TransUnion 699 (Discover 5/14), Experian 754 (Amex 5/14)
Message 7 of 11
NoAnchoviesPlease
Established Contributor

People have reported applying for a charge (green/gold/platinum) and a revolver (ED/BC/etc) on the same day and not having any hassle over that. Your mileage may vary. 

Applying for two revolvers within 30 days is likely to get at least one of them canceled and/or held up. If denied a card, you have to wait 30 days minimum to apply again. 

12/29/2015 669/696/706
01/10/2016 698/711/730 but still to and fro a bit

Climbing to 700 and beyond. It's too cold for gardening.
Message 8 of 11
improvingmycredit
Valued Contributor

You can apply for multiple cards the same day.  Here is the rule of thumb:  you can apply for any card- recommend you apply for the charge before the revolver:  if denied or the app comes up pending, the 2nd app will be auto denied till a decision is reached on the first app.  If the 1st app is approved, then you can app the second.  You can app as many card you like until a denial then you must wait a full 30 days before the next app.  You have to have a decision before the next app in order to app the second card or it will be auto kicked out.  Hope this helps. Smiley Happy

Starting Score: 642
Current Score: EQ 773, EX 780, TU 777 (All FICO)
Goal Score: 800+

Cards: NFCU Flagship 50K, DC 30K, BCP 28.6K, Arrival+ 25K, Citi DP 22.8K, CSR 20.5K, TotalRewards 25K, QuickSilver 20K

Message 9 of 11
ecxpa
Valued Contributor

@improvingmycredit wrote:

You can apply for multiple cards the same day.  Here is the rule of thumb:  you can apply for any card- recommend you apply for the charge before the revolver:  if denied or the app comes up pending, the 2nd app will be auto denied till a decision is reached on the first app.  If the 1st app is approved, then you can app the second.  You can app as many card you like until a denial then you must wait a full 30 days before the next app.  You have to have a decision before the next app in order to app the second card or it will be auto kicked out.  Hope this helps. Smiley Happy

That makes sense and helps me understand better how sometimes other's get more than one Amex in a short period of time.  I guess an approval resets the 30 day wait.

Message 10 of 11
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.