Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Amex approval - no black list.

tag
hunter399
New Contributor

Amex approval - no black list.

Just wanted to share a positive story about my recent Amex approval, as a data point for you folks. 

For starters, when I was in college, I applied for, and received an entry level amex card, limit was something like $300. It was my first CC. I promptly screwed that up, and after a few months, it was charged off to collections, for an amount in the ballpark or $1,300 (balance, late fees, etc, etc). I do not regret it, as it taught me a lot about credit responsibility and money management. I paid the collections agency in full - this was about 2005. 

Over the past 8-9 years, I have worked extremely hard to keep my credit profiles clean. Last week, even after reading the threads here about Amex's black list policies, I decided to apply for a Delta Amex Plat, and was approved online immediately for an $11k credit limit. 

Hopefully this is helpful to those looking to apply in the future. 

A bit about my current credit profile: 

Amex pulled only Experian

Experian "fako"(?) score via USAA credit monitoring is 738

Currently have about $14k in credit / $10k available. 

This will be my highest limit card at $11k, my current highest card is $6k at Citi. 

No realestate. 

One open auto, and 3 closed, paid in full auto loans (leases).

10 total open accounts, AAOA 3.8 years, oldest account 6 years. 

No negative info on any bureau. 

Message 1 of 7
6 REPLIES 6
-Wade-
Valued Contributor

Re: Amex approval - no black list.

@hunter399 wrote:

Just wanted to share a positive story about my recent Amex approval, as a data point for you folks. 

For starters, when I was in college, I applied for, and received an entry level amex card, limit was something like $300. It was my first CC. I promptly screwed that up, and after a few months, it was charged off to collections, for an amount in the ballpark or $1,300 (balance, late fees, etc, etc). I do not regret it, as it taught me a lot about credit responsibility and money management. I paid the collections agency in full - this was about 2005. 

Over the past 8-9 years, I have worked extremely hard to keep my credit profiles clean. Last week, even after reading the threads here about Amex's black list policies, I decided to apply for a Delta Amex Plat, and was approved online immediately for an $11k credit limit. 

This will be my highest limit card at $11k, my current highest card is $6k at Citi. 

No realestate. 

CongratsSmiley Happy awesome 

"Garden Club Member " Old user name newportguy*** Current Score: myFico EQ - 830 (07/16/2015) Discover TU Fico - 833 (09/03/2016) EX Fico - 839 ( 09/01/2016 ) ******* Amex - BCP 11.5K * Discover - IT 43.5 K * U.S. Bank Cash + Visa Signature 15.3 K * PenFed - Cash Rewards 15K *PenFed Power Cash 19K ** Amex - GDSM 10K ******FICO 800 Club Member ******* EQ 830 *** TU 833 *** EX 839 ***
****** Last HP & New TL was March 6th 2014 *** GOAL: No HP's or New TL's for 2 + years and 840's Scores ******
Message 2 of 7
alvon123
Super Contributor

congrats

Message 3 of 7
baller4life
Super Contributor

Congrats on the great card and limit!

Message 4 of 7
Leadberry
Established Contributor

@hunter399 wrote:

No realestate. 

Congrats on your approval.  Amex does indeed blacklist, however they are known to let those who satisfy their accounts back in.

FICO Scores 800+
Message 5 of 7
CreditMagic7
Mega Contributor

Thanks for sharing your experience. I venture a pretty good guess.that most of us been there but thankfully we took an effort to turn matters around.
Highly Valuable Reading in this Forum.
Message 6 of 7
newmomnewme
Valued Contributor

Congratulations @hunter399!!! I had a similar story and posted about my nervousness around MSD....I was pleasantly surprised to find that my MSD online as 1994 (way back when I got my first amex as a freshman in college!!!!!! It won't report for a while, but I am certain this should help more than hurt my AAoA.

012019 Fico8/Mortgage Score:
Current Fico9/Fico8/Mortgage Score:
MyGoal Fico8/Mortgage Score:
Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge

Message 7 of 7
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.