Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Amex approvals and CLI with baddies on report

tag
aftermath
Established Contributor

Amex approvals and CLI with baddies on report

Has anyone been approved for an Amex credit card with baddies on their report and then have received a CLI later on?

The reason why I ask is that I've had an Amex Blue Cash for 3 years.  I was approved with some old COs on my report.

Everytime I try for a CLI, I get denied due to those old COs.

American Express Blue Cash Everyday $6600
Barclays US Airways Premier World Mastercard $14500
Chase Sapphire Preferred $5000
Chase Freedom Visa $1000
Chase United Explorer $8500
Citi AAdvantage Platinum Select Visa Signature $7500
Citi ThankYou Premier World Mastercard $7500
Message 1 of 4
3 REPLIES 3
John060675
Valued Contributor

Re: Amex approvals and CLI with baddies on report

I would call them and ask to speak to a supervisor.  I would explain the situation, and use your perfect payments (hopefully) on their card as proof that you deserve a CLI.  I would not threaten to close the account if you did not get it, but I would tell them that you would like to do more everyday purchasing on the card and you need a CLI to do this.

If they say no, then maybe you can ask them to tell you what to improve on the report to get to yes on the next CLI request.  The worst they can do is say no, so try calling.

Starting Score: 583 EQ, 612 EX, 569 TU
Current Score: 658 EQ, 648 EX, 618 TU
Goal Score: 720 EQ, 720 EX, 720 TU

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge
Message 2 of 4
Walt_K
Senior Contributor

@aftermath wrote:

Has anyone been approved for an Amex credit card with baddies on their report and then have received a CLI later on?

The reason why I ask is that I've had an Amex Blue Cash for 3 years.  I was approved with some old COs on my report.

Everytime I try for a CLI, I get denied due to those old COs.

I have several baddies, no charge offs but multiple accounts that have late payments.  Several in the 120 day late range and one 150 day late.  I got my Amex PRG in October when my lates were just inside of 2 years old.  I got the SPG about 2 months ago when all lates were over two years old.  They gave me a pretty generous CL on the SPG, $19.6K.  So, while this isn't exactly responsive to your question as I haven't received a CLI, I did get a fairly generous initial CL which I suppose suggests that they could give you a higher CL. 

Starting Score: ~500 (12/01/2008)
Current Score: EQ 681 (04/05/13); TU 98 728 (01/06/12), TU 08? 760 (provided by Barclay 1/2/14), TU 04 728 (lender pull 01/12/12); EX 742 (lender pull 01/12/12)
Goal Score: 720

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 3 of 4
DJH87
Established Member

I too was denied a CLI for baddies which were on my report when I was approved. I tried recon and was still denied. I will try again in six months when my report improves.

But, I am thinking it might be better to apply for a new card like SPG with hopes of receiving an initial high limit.

Message 4 of 4
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.