Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Amex backdating before apping?

tag
bichonmom
Senior Contributor

Amex backdating before apping?

Does anyone know if you can find out if you can get Amex backdated before you app for the CC?

Backdating would do wonders for my score. Like a magic credit genie. Smiley Tongue But a new CC w/o backdating is going to completely zap my EQ, which has an AAoA of <1 year. I think it's about .8. Both EX and TU have an older acct showing, so my AAoA isn't so bad there.

So, I'm trying to decide if I should app for Zync, or wait. Is there a way of finding out from Amex if they can find my old acct. before apping? Or do I just have to bite the bullet and then hope for the best?

Thanks! Smiley Happy

EQ FICO 750 | TU FICO 761 (Walmart) | EX FAKO 767 | Goal: 800+

Edits, funky spacing and spelling due to my iPad not getting along with the forum editor!

Message 1 of 21
20 REPLIES 20
Revelate
Moderator Emeritus

Re: Amex backdating before apping?

Unless you're planning to apply for a big ticket item like a mortgage or auto loan in the 6-12 month range, in my opinion it's irrelevant.

Amex may or may not backdate you; however, if you're ever going to want to backdate in the future, you want that account opened as soon as possible.  Don't sweat the AAoA that much at the moment on EQ, that'll only grow with time: if you want an Amex for whatever reason, just get it out of the way.  For that matter, that old account will get pulled in on a tri-pull merge for a mortgage anyway if it's reporting on 2/3.

        
Message 2 of 21
bichonmom
Senior Contributor

@Revelate wrote:

Unless you're planning to apply for a big ticket item like a mortgage or auto loan in the 6-12 month range, in my opinion it's irrelevant.

Amex may or may not backdate you; however, if you're ever going to want to backdate in the future, you want that account opened as soon as possible.  Don't sweat the AAoA that much at the moment on EQ, that'll only grow with time: if you want an Amex for whatever reason, just get it out of the way.  For that matter, that old account will get pulled in on a tri-pull merge for a mortgage anyway if it's reporting on 2/3.

I don't get why it's irrelevant. If my EQ score drops because of a new CC, then it's going to affect my insurance renewal coming up in March and possible CLIs this year.

I had Amex in the 80s, so it would be backdated to then... not to this year. I don't really care about having it dated 2012. That's not going to do anything for my AAoA or FICO at this point. And I have older CCs, so I don't see how it would help my AAoA in the future, either. I could be wrong about that, but that's my understanding.

I want Amex for backdating and rewards. But it seems like I may be better off waiting to app since I don't know how it will affect my EQ FICO w/o backdating.

Edits, funky spacing and spelling due to my iPad not getting along with the forum editor!

Message 3 of 21
Creditaddict
Legendary Contributor

If you are saying you have less than 8 months AA, Why would adding Amex with out backdate really effect your AA... wouldn't we be talking about maybe going from 8 months to 6 or 7 in AA?

And why is EQ the only concern?

and I thought insurance being based on credit wasn't a flat out score but more of are bills being paid, so wouldn't think opening a new account would effect that.

Message 4 of 21
Anonymous
Not applicable

I doubt you can get them to backdate it prior to apping. But once you apply, they can always try to look up your previous membership and adjust it accordingly, I think?

Message 5 of 21
RyVision
Valued Contributor

Bichonmom;

If  you have your old AMEX card, or an account statement, or a copy of a cancelled check with the acct number in the memo area or just know the acct number of the card (on some record somewhere, not the number on your report, that's a reference number, not the acct number) you shouldn't have a problem back dating after getting any AMEX product.  I listed the most helpful forms of proof of orignal MS date in order, starting with the best proof (the old card).  Even a copy of a CR referencing the old account would possibly work (it just better be clean and is a last resort).

Backdating is seldom automatic with older MS dates. You may end up calling a few times after getting approved in order to get the right person. And never mention the term "back date" or "back dating", only that you would like your original member since date and that's why you applied the card, "because AMEX provides privileges to members no other company can match".   Once you can give them your old acct number, they (once  you find someone willing), can look up the old acct in their system or ask you to send a copy of proof if they can't find  your history.  (if they don't suggest sending proof, you suggest it for them).

I doubt they'd give you any info pertaining to such a request before applying. They have no reason to. Hope this helped. Smiley Happy

AKA 840flippedto480
Message 6 of 21
bichonmom
Senior Contributor

@Creditaddict wrote:

If you are saying you have less than 8 months AA, Why would adding Amex with out backdate really effect your AA... wouldn't we be talking about maybe going from 8 months to 6 or 7 in AA?

And why is EQ the only concern?

and I thought insurance being based on credit wasn't a flat out score but more of are bills being paid, so wouldn't think opening a new account would effect that.

Well, last year my insurance went up solely because my FICO dropped. I wasn't keeping track at that point, but from what I can tell from the occasional old CR, an old acct fell off my CR, which lowered my AAoA and FICO. Not all ins co's do that, but mine does. If my ins doesn't go down this year, I will be switching. But I've been with them for 10 years, so I'd rather not.

You may be right. It may be that going from 8 mos to 6 or 7 won't make a big diff w/FICO. Actually, it's 8/10 of a year, so probably a little more than 8 months right now. I'm not really sure. I'd just rather not risk it since I am concerned about my insurance renewal. After that, it won't matter so much to me.

EQ is my only concern because it's my shortest AAoA. Both EX and TU have an older acct. reporting, so my AAoA isn't so low with them, and one new acct. probably wouldn't make so much of a difference there.

Message 7 of 21
winstars
Regular Contributor

I just went through the whole backdating thing with AMEX. I talked to many CSR's that could not find my old account. I did not have a copy of my old cards and I did not have a copy of the real account numbers. I did have some recent CR's that showed AMEX reporting on my EX CR's for years.  I was freaking out also because I did not need 2 new cards reporting as new to the CRA's and tanking my AAoA.  I thought that maybe I should have done what you are thinking of doing. Not sure if you can find out before you app but you might. If you have any of the docs mentioned here or in a previous post you have a very good shot at BDing. 

It is my opinion that you could call up regular CSR if you have your old account number or card number and ask them to look you up. The "account number" on your CR is not a real account number used by AMEX. Just keep asking for a representitive during the prompts...

And as mentioned above, never say backdting or re-aging, only say that you are trying to find out if my new, in your case soon to be, card can/will reflect my previous relationship with AMEX in relation to my "member since" date...

Good luck if you do it and let us know what happens...

Starting Score: TU-685 (FICO) EQ-674 (FICO) EX-713 (PLUS SCORE FAKO)
Current Score: TU-800 (FICO) EQ-812 (FICO) EX-800 (PLUS SCORE FAKO)
Goal Score: 815

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 8 of 21
bichonmom
Senior Contributor

Thanks. What is "MS"? I know it can't be Microsoft. Smiley Very Happy

My acct was back in the 80s, so I don't have any of the above. I have an acct # from an old EX rept., but from what I've read here, that doesn't alway work w/Amex. Or you have to get through to the right dept. for it to work. Not quite sure.

I'll have to go thru old boxes and see if I can find any old bills from them. I think at this point, I'm going to wait until April. I'll have 1 year CC history and won't have to worry about the effect on my insurance.  Smiley Happy

Message 9 of 21
bichonmom
Senior Contributor

@winstars wrote:

I just went through the whole backdating thing with AMEX. I talked to many CSR's that could not find my old account. I did not have a copy of my old cards and I did not have a copy of the real account numbers. I did have some recent CR's that showed AMEX reporting on my EX CR's for years.  I was freaking out also because I did not need 2 new cards reporting as new to the CRA's and tanking my AAoA.  I thought that maybe I should have done what you are thinking of doing. Not sure if you can find out before you app but you might. If you have any of the docs mentioned here or in a previous post you have a very good shot at BDing. 

It is my opinion that you could call up regular CSR if you have your old account number or card number and ask them to look you up. The "account number" on your CR is not a real account number used by AMEX. Just keep asking for a representitive during the prompts...

And as mentioned above, never say backdting or re-aging, only say that you are trying to find out if my new, in your case soon to be, card can/will reflect my previous relationship with AMEX in relation to my "member since" date...

Good luck if you do it and let us know what happens...

So, were you ever able to get the backdating w/o the acct. number?

Message 10 of 21
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.