Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Amex backdating before apping?

tag
improvingmycredit
Valued Contributor

Re: Amex backdating before apping?

Hey Bichonmom! 

YMMV but when I apped for my Amex, I just called the CSR and told them that I had an account in 89 and would you please change the date to reflect that on my new account.  I had NO information at all... no account number or CR reflecting my previous account.  It was seamless... she asked me to wait a moment then came back and said my request was submitted.  I should see my membership date change online within 24 hours.  I know that some have had difficulty but really, I thought it was super easy.  They asked for no info at all to prove my previous account information.

Starting Score: 642
Current Score: EQ 773, EX 780, TU 777 (All FICO)
Goal Score: 800+

Cards: NFCU Flagship 50K, DC 30K, BCP 28.6K, Arrival+ 25K, Citi DP 22.8K, CSR 20.5K, TotalRewards 25K, QuickSilver 20K

Message 11 of 21
bichonmom
Senior Contributor

Wow! From what I've read here, it's a major ordeal and doesn't always work. You've given me a glimmer of hope. Smiley Tongue

EQ FICO 750 | TU FICO 761 (Walmart) | EX FAKO 767 | Goal: 800+

Edits, funky spacing and spelling due to my iPad not getting along with the forum editor!

Message 12 of 21
RyVision
Valued Contributor

@bichonmom wrote:

Thanks. What is "MS"? I know it can't be Microsoft. Smiley Very Happy

My acct was back in the 80s, so I don't have any of the above. I have an acct # from an old EX rept., but from what I've read here, that doesn't alway work w/Amex. Or you have to get through to the right dept. for it to work. Not quite sure.

I'll have to go thru old boxes and see if I can find any old bills from them. I think at this point, I'm going to wait until April. I'll have 1 year CC history and won't have to worry about the effect on my insurance.  Smiley Happy

In this context I use "MS" to mean "member since"  (member since date). 

There is another option that might help you with your question, I just don't know for sure how you'd get to the right person. If you can talk to the credit dept and ask if they'd look up your old acct via your name and SS number (if you never burned them of course, you should be fine, even if  you're a current card member that request can take a day or 2 to fulfill sometimes, other times it pops up on their screen). They might be able to tell you before you even apply in that case. They probably can't tell you much and could ask some verification questions to release any info to you (even whether you show up in their system or not).   If they say they can't find you, it by no means indicates they couldn't find you later, you'd just be  hoping you got the right person that "put in the effort" to help you find out. If they find your old info on the call, you got lucky and reduced your backdating challenge.  Frankly, if they found your info, they'd probably try to get you to app during that call. You could even give them the reference number from a CR the old acct was listed on (it's listed as the acct number on the CR), it may or may not help, depending on who you get.

AKA 840flippedto480
Message 13 of 21
bichonmom
Senior Contributor

Well, maybe I'll give them a call. Accoring to my old CR, I had a small balance owing. I have no idea why I didn't pay it, since it was so small. Just over $100. I was in my 20s and overwhelmed with credit stuff, so who knows. I'd gladly pay it to get back in their good graces and get backdated.

Edits, funky spacing and spelling due to my iPad not getting along with the forum editor!

Message 14 of 21
RyVision
Valued Contributor

@bichonmom wrote:

Well, maybe I'll give them a call. Accoring to my old CR, I had a small balance owing. I have no idea why I didn't pay it, since it was so small. Just over $100. I was in my 20s and overwhelmed with credit stuff, so who knows. I'd gladly pay it to get back in their good graces and get backdated.

If it's in their records they'll let you know!  Don't bring it up as they can't see that report, I'm guessing that could also be your last balance, or your last payment or something else erroneous and not actually owed. That info is OLLLLLD and not always stated correctly (it happens a LOT with old info), however it's meaningless if it's not in their system, and no issue to you getting your MS date back.

I think if you get the right person on the phone, you wouldn't have much problem, but that's really the key, a bit of luck on who takes your call.  If you had AMEX, believe me, you're in their system somewhere, even if archived.

AKA 840flippedto480
Message 15 of 21
Anonymous
Not applicable

@improvingmycredit wrote:

Hey Bichonmom! 

YMMV but when I apped for my Amex, I just called the CSR and told them that I had an account in 89 and would you please change the date to reflect that on my new account.  I had NO information at all... no account number or CR reflecting my previous account.  It was seamless... she asked me to wait a moment then came back and said my request was submitted.  I should see my membership date change online within 24 hours.  I know that some have had difficulty but really, I thought it was super easy.  They asked for no info at all to prove my previous account information.

Wow, I'm surprised. I wonder if they managed to find the old records or just decided to backdate it without any actual proof.

Message 16 of 21
RyVision
Valued Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

@improvingmycredit wrote:

Hey Bichonmom! 

Wow, I'm surprised. I wonder if they managed to find the old records or just decided to backdate it without any actual proof.

Smiley Happy I"m not lol.

Turn a family tree upside down, or a christmas tree, for a visual. The frontline CSRs are the branches at the widest part ,with all the newest info, going down toward the tip (star) are more data links, records, archieves. If member John calls in and gets CSR on database 13 (branch) on link (level) 18, his older data may be there but not on database 22 on link 27. But if they dig or send a request to database 2 on level 4 it could be archieved if they have access to that DB. Consider the "star" to be the main archieve or back up (there would be more than 1 but you get the idea). It's all there and scattered around the tree, newest at the top (or in a sense, newer links, widest part of tree).  The most condensed way I can somewhat explain it (not all databases are synced to all data as it ages if it's not used, ie; closed acct).

AKA 840flippedto480
Message 17 of 21
improvingmycredit
Valued Contributor

Truly, I was surprised after reading some threads here.  I fully expected and resolvd myself to making a quite a few calls to different departments to find my previous information but it literaly was a 4-5 minute call and with no problems.  I actually thought for a moment that they didn't even look up anything and just took my word for it but knowing Amex, I doubt it seriously.  I even called back to confirm the next morning and by time I got off the phone, my online account was updated as membersince 1989.  Sweet!

Cards: NFCU Flagship 50K, DC 30K, BCP 28.6K, Arrival+ 25K, Citi DP 22.8K, CSR 20.5K, TotalRewards 25K, QuickSilver 20K

Message 18 of 21
bichonmom
Senior Contributor

After you get the backdating accomplished, how long does it take to report to the CRBs? Would it be reported when your next stmt cuts? Maybe I should give it a try. You guys are making me optimistic. Smiley Happy

Message 19 of 21
improvingmycredit
Valued Contributor

It reports on the next reporting date after backdating.  I will and must say, YMMV but I don't see how they shouldn't be able to find your information somehow.  Out of curiousity, what would be your backdate year?

What ever you decide, I wish you MUCH luck!

Message 20 of 21
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.