Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Amex backdating question

tag
KatieKatie
Regular Contributor

Re: Amex backdating question

Hi, I have virtually the same situation as yours.  My aunt added me as an authorized user back in 1994.  She subsequently had to unfortunately file for bankrupcty in 2006.  I just opened the personal card and the SPG rewards card on Saturday.  AmEx provided the optioon to get your card details immediately, which I did, so they displayed my account number for 3 minutes.  I called customer service 2 hours later the same date, told them my original member since date and the representative indicated she would submit a request for research.  This morning, I received an email indicating that my replacement cards were in process and when I logged in today, next to Good Morning it indicates member since 1994. 

I cannot thank the contributors on this forum enough for the value of the knowledge that is shared.  I feel like I was stumbling around in the dark before I discovered myfico. 

Good luck!

Message 11 of 19
Anonymous
Not applicable

@KatieKatie wrote:

Hi, I have virtually the same situation as yours.  My aunt added me as an authorized user back in 1994.  She subsequently had to unfortunately file for bankrupcty in 2006.  I just opened the personal card and the SPG rewards card on Saturday.  AmEx provided the optioon to get your card details immediately, which I did, so they displayed my account number for 3 minutes.  I called customer service 2 hours later the same date, told them my original member since date and the representative indicated she would submit a request for research.  This morning, I received an email indicating that my replacement cards were in process and when I logged in today, next to Good Morning it indicates member since 1994. 

I cannot thank the contributors on this forum enough for the value of the knowledge that is shared.  I feel like I was stumbling around in the dark before I discovered myfico. 

Good luck!

That's prime. These stories make me so envious. Wish I had someone add me as an AU back in 1994... when I was 2. Cat Tongue

Message 12 of 19
newhis
Valued Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

That's prime. These stories make me so envious. Wish I had someone add me as an AU back in 1994... when I was 2. Cat Tongue

In the past many AU got backdated to original year, so there are some (or many) people with Amex cards with MSD before their DOB.

@takeshi74 wrote:

IIRC it's updated whenever the account usually reports.

Thank you. My PRG should report this week and my new ED closes in 3 weeks. Let's see if my score change.

Message 13 of 19
Anonymous
Not applicable

Don't mean to hijack this thread, but I have a follow up question. My dad has an Amex and I have an Amex.  If he adds me as an AU now, can I ask Amex to back date my current card? Also, where would I go to find the chat?

Message 14 of 19
mitchblue
Valued Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Don't mean to hijack this thread, but I have a follow up question. My dad has an Amex and I have an Amex.  If he adds me as an AU now, can I ask Amex to back date my current card? Also, where would I go to find the chat?

Can only backdate you from the AU date..so if you got on your Dad's card, it would show MSD 2015. If I'm understanding you correctly. Anyone with more experience could corect me if I'm wrong..thanks.

FICO® 8 Scores 821 FICO® 9 Equifax 826 (Updated 02-7-23)
Message 15 of 19
takeshi74
Senior Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

If he adds me as an AU now, can I ask Amex to back date my current card?

You can ask but they won't.  Card will report as opened in 2015.  If you want a backdated card you'll have to apply for your own.

Message 16 of 19
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks for that, I misread the post above mine where it said "in the past".  Damn I missed the boat.

Message 17 of 19
newhis
Valued Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

If your add you as AU to his Amex, then the card will came with your MSD, if not, you can ask to change the date to your MSD (you have an Amex right?). The problem is that all new AU from Amex will report as open in the year you are added, so even if your Amex is from 2010, and your new AU from your dad say MSD 10, it will report as 15.

You only add someone to an Amex if they don't have an Amex and don't want/can't apply for their own.

Message 18 of 19
takeshi74
Senior Contributor

@newhis wrote:

You only add someone to an Amex if they don't have an Amex and don't want/can't apply for their own.

Could you clarify?  You can certainly add an existing AmEx member as an AU.  You can also add a non-member if they do want/can apply for their own.

Message 19 of 19
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.