Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Amex backdating question?

tag
taxi818
Super Contributor

Amex backdating question?

Well I've waited long enough to get in with amex. Got delta sky yesterday. However I want 1 charge card too the green as least expensive.  95 AF. 

However. I know I could app now. But I was told to wait until jan. Now my msd is 2014. If I app in man 2015. Will they back date to January. 2014. Even I just became member yesterday. Please someone clarify once and for all. Sick of speculation. If not. I will just app tomorrow. If no benefit to wait. 

Message 1 of 23
22 REPLIES 22
heyarrnold
Valued Contributor

Re: Amex backdating question?

Yes, it will be 01/2014. To get the maximum benefit of backdating, apply in Jan of any year thereafter you lock in your MSD. 

Message 2 of 23
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

@taxi818 wrote:

Well I've waited long enough to get in with amex. Got delta sky yesterday. However I want 1 charge card too the green as least expensive.  95 AF. 

However. I know I could app now. But I was told to wait until jan. Now my msd is 2014. If I app in man 2015. Will they back date to January. 2014. Even I just became member yesterday. Please someone clarify once and for all. Sick of speculation. If not. I will just app tomorrow. If no benefit to wait. 

Yes, exactly that, if you app in January (of any year!) your card will now backdate to Jan 2014, older than your delta sky.  But doing it now and doing it in Jan is a tiny difference, if you have any use for the card in the next two months.   It's gettiing the first card as early as possible (for year) that really matters.

Message 3 of 23
taxi818
Super Contributor

@heyarrnold wrote:

Yes, it will be 01/2014. To get the maximum benefit of backdating, apply in Jan of any year thereafter you lock in your MSD. 

My msd date is 2014.  It's already locked in I guess. So in 3 months the next card will say 01-2014. Hmm. It will be older than the card I got yesterday?

Message 4 of 23
taxi818
Super Contributor

@longtimelurker wrote:

@taxi818 wrote:

Yes, exactly that, if you app in January (of any year!) your card will now backdate to Jan 2014, older than your delta sky.  But doing it now and doing it in Jan is a tiny difference, if you have any use for the card in the next two months.   It's gettiing the first card as early as possible (for year) that really matters.

Excellent. I don't need charge now. Will wait. Strange.  Willbe older than y delta. Outstanding. Thanks for help. 

Message 5 of 23
heyarrnold
Valued Contributor

@taxi818 wrote:

@heyarrnold wrote:

My msd date is 2014.  It's already locked in I guess. So in 3 months the next card will say 01-2014. Hmm. It will be older than the card I got yesterday?

Yes. You have already locked in your year. Now, every new application will reflect the month of approval and the year of 2014.

Message 6 of 23
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

@taxi818 wrote:

@longtimelurker wrote:

@taxi818 wrote:

Excellent. I don't need charge now. Will wait. Strange.  Willbe older than y delta. Outstanding. Thanks for help. 

Yes, it is one of the mysteries.   No idea why they can't just backdate to the month/year of the original card, rather than keep the year but change the month.

Message 7 of 23
Anonymous
Not applicable

@longtimelurker wrote:
Yes, it is one of the mysteries.   No idea why they can't just backdate to the month/year of the original card, rather than keep the year but change the month.

Lazy, mostly.

Message 8 of 23
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

@longtimelurker wrote:

Lazy, mostly.

I doubt it!   Presumably the same code that looks up the year also knows the month, so they must have some reason for it.   Not necessarily a good reason, but a reason!

Message 9 of 23
B335is
Moderator Emeritus

Taxi did you have any Charge card bonus offers?  The real advantage to going for one at time of Revolver approval is the 2-for-1 deal.  You can always go for another Charge card or revolver (or both) in January.

Message 10 of 23
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.