Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Amex backdating

tag
bichonmom
Senior Contributor

Amex backdating

I read on a thread here that Amex no longer backdates. Wondering if that is accurate. And if so, does that mean my current amex cards will no longer show as backdated, or does that only apply to new cards?

Thanks! 

EQ FICO 750 | TU FICO 761 (Walmart) | EX FAKO 767 | Goal: 800+

Edits, funky spacing and spelling due to my iPad not getting along with the forum editor!

Message 1 of 25
24 REPLIES 24
elim
Senior Contributor

Re: Amex backdating

any previously BD'd cards will remain BD'd.  any new apps will not be BD'd.  your Member Since Date will be as it was on all cards, old, new, future.

Message 2 of 25
OmarGB9
Community Leader
Super Contributor

As elim said, your MSD (Member Since Date, the date shown on your online portal and printed on the cards) will still show the original date from when you first got an Amex; however, any new cards will show the right open date on your reports. They won't adjust the open date on new cards to the first one you ever opened anymore (backdate). Old cards that did happen to backdate will remain backdated as he said.

Last App: 1/10/2023
Penfed Gold Visa Card

Currently rebuilding as of 04/11/2019.

Starting FICO 8 Scores:

Current FICO 8 scores:

Message 3 of 25
bichonmom
Senior Contributor

Thanks! Wow, that's a bummer. I'm glad I have the cards I do, but one of them is Costco, which will be closed soon. Smiley Sad

Edits, funky spacing and spelling due to my iPad not getting along with the forum editor!

Message 4 of 25
Anonymous
Not applicable

@bichonmom wrote:

Thanks! Wow, that's a bummer. I'm glad I have the cards I do, but one of them is Costco, which will be closed soon. Smiley Sad

It will still be factored in to your AAoA for up to 10 years.

Message 5 of 25
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

@bichonmom wrote:

And last I heard the jury is still out on what will happen. It's possible that it will turn into a Citi Visa and keep the date. I've read that they won't be backdating but I'd guess no one knows for sure if they'll dive back into every account and see when it was opened vs. when it was dated. I'm hoping not as that's my only backdated card and I REALLY liket that 1987 date. 

Message 6 of 25
Anonymous
Not applicable

@elim wrote:

any previously BD'd cards will remain BD'd.  any new apps will not be BD'd.  your Member Since Date will be as it was on all cards, old, new, future.

Any previous that started reporting before 3/21/15 will have backdated.  None that were added since then will have been.

Message 7 of 25
bichonmom
Senior Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

And last I heard the jury is still out on what will happen. It's possible that it will turn into a Citi Visa and keep the date. I've read that they won't be backdating but I'd guess no one knows for sure if they'll dive back into every account and see when it was opened vs. when it was dated. I'm hoping not as that's my only backdated card and I REALLY liket that 1987 date. 

That would be great, but even if it becomes a Visa, wouldn't the Amex still report on our CRs as closed as of March 31st? (I think that's when it's happening.) And then the new Visa would report, either as a new acct or possibly backdated (though somehow I sincerely doubt that.) 

I think it would be similar to when my store card was upgraded to a visa. The store card was reported as closed and the new cc was added to my CR. I imagine the opening date would be 4/1/16. 

When I asked Costco a couple of weeks ago, they said they're still working on figuring out what they're going to do. Smiley Frustrated

Message 8 of 25
noobody
Established Contributor

@bichonmom wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

That would be great, but even if it becomes a Visa, wouldn't the Amex still report on our CRs as closed as of March 31st? (I think that's when it's happening.) And then the new Visa would report, either as a new acct or possibly backdated (though somehow I sincerely doubt that.) 

I think it would be similar to when my store card was upgraded to a visa. The store card was reported as closed and the new cc was added to my CR. I imagine the opening date would be 4/1/16. 

When I asked Costco a couple of weeks ago, they said they're still working on figuring out what they're going to do. Smiley Frustrated

my guess is, they will totally elimated Amex account like it never happened, and citi account will show either actual costco TE open date or hopefully MSD of Amex.
EX819 1HP|TU797 1HP| EQ(Fico8 BankCard)841
Message 9 of 25
bichonmom
Senior Contributor

@noobody wrote:

my guess is, they will totally elimated Amex account like it never happened, and citi account will show either actual costco TE open date or hopefully MSD of Amex.
I sure hope not. How could they wipe out my Amex history like that, even if they sell the accounts to Citi? I'd lose 25 years of backdating in a single keystroke. Smiley Sad

Message 10 of 25
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.