Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Amex… bad omen?

tag
HenryJumbo
Regular Contributor

Amex… bad omen?

So a while ago I received a solicitation to apply for an Amex Green Card a while ago in the mail, which I ignored. Personally I don’t see the appeal of charge cards over credit cards. Anyway a few months later I’m in the market for a new credit card (with a good FAKO score from Experian which I heard they usually pull). I submitted the pre-approval form thingy online and saw I was encouraged to apply for a Gold Card, Green Card, or Blue from American Express Smiley Surprised . So I applied for a Blue and was instantly approved for $2,000.

In the approval screen I saw that I’d have to wait 7-10 days for the card, which is no biggie because I didn’t need the card right away. So a few days past by and I’m wondering where the hell is my card, so I call the number and it says I have until the 20th to receive my card. I wait until the 20th and check my mail, nothing. I phone Amex and they ensured me the card wasn’t active and that they would overnight me a new card (this was on Friday btw). So I wait all day Sunday for UPS to come, mind you I don’t have the tracking number. I call Amex at 8PM and they look up the tracking, they said the card is on the track and I should be expecting my card any time now. Me knowing that UPS doesn’t deliver after 7PM was sort of disappointed that the customer service person didn’t wonder why the card haven’t been delivered since it was ‘supposedly’ shipped overnight as if that's normal.

So Saturday passes and nothing, *sighs*. I don’t blame Amex for the missing card, as I live in a not so grand area where mail theft is known to happen. Furthermore they didn’t have my apartment number, just my address the first time. However the overnight thing isn’t their fault either as the UPS guy probably was too lazy to deliver my package or attempt to deliver my package. I get the sense that when I call Amex Monday morning there going to tell me UPS attempted to deliver. I don't want to get labeled me as a trouble customer, especially since I never physically held the damn card yet.

Another interesting thing is my gf had the same problem with her Green Card which had to be reshipped.

My question is how common is this? I’m a brand speaking new customer. In business as in life first impression means a lot and I’m under the impress that getting an Amex card was a bad idea. I’m really ready to just call and cancel the card Monday as I don’t care about the drop in score.

Signed

A new Amex customer with buyers remorse.

Starting Score: EX: 736 FAKO | TU: 757 FICO | EQ 730 FICO
Current Score: EX: 736 FAKO | TU: 750 FICO | EQ 730 FICO
Goal Score:     EX: 750 FICO | TU: 750 FICO | EQ: 750 FICO
In my wallet:  $16,000  $8,000
Message 1 of 24
23 REPLIES 23
logan_720
Established Contributor

Re: Amex… bad omen?

Well, first off, UPS doesn't run on Sundays. And I doubt the UPS guy was lazy, those guys move like their strung out on speed. Anyway, I assume this is an isolated case, as American Express is great with getting new cards to their cardholders. If you are having buyer's remorse, why not just call and cancel the card altogether?

Message 2 of 24
HenryJumbo
Regular Contributor

The replacement card was processed Friday (she even checked to make sure I met the deadline), which means the overnight was scheduled for Saturday, not Sunday. I recieved two USPS packages yesterday (Saturday) from the mail carrier lady. This means that Amex wasted money overnigthing a card that UPS didn't attempt to deliver (I was home the entire day). If you don't think this is possible you probably haven't ordered as much crap as I have online, for example If a postal person is running late and they don't want to do overtime they'll just say they attempted.

I went form being excited I got a new card, to waiting a week or so for a card that never came, then finally waiting for a overnight card that never came. Forgive me if the circumstances created doubts in my mind as to whether or not Amex is the right company for me. As I stated before my gf had the same issues with a card that never arrived and having to overnight a new one.

Starting Score: EX: 736 FAKO | TU: 757 FICO | EQ 730 FICO
Current Score: EX: 736 FAKO | TU: 750 FICO | EQ 730 FICO
Goal Score:     EX: 750 FICO | TU: 750 FICO | EQ: 750 FICO
In my wallet:  $16,000  $8,000
Message 3 of 24
LS2982
Mega Contributor

Be patient, the card will come Monday. Smiley Happy

EQ FICO 548 3/3/16
Message 4 of 24
GST2008
Frequent Contributor

Sounds like the problem is the delivery services, not AMEX.  The CRs at AMEX checked and sent it twice for you, once by overnight.  You can't blaim AMEX if USPS lost it the first time or if UPS didn't deliver it.  I've had the same issue with the "attempted" from USPS when I've been home the entire day.  I don't blaim the vendor I did business with, I blaim the mail carrier that didn't do his/her job.

Current:
TU (5/14/14): 796 (Inquiries; 8/23/13)
EQ (3/23/14): 791 (Inquiries: 8/23/13)
EX (9/24/13): 780 (Inquiries: 7/2/12; 11/20/12; 7/30/13; 8/23/13)

Goals: No new inquiries for 2014, 800 for all CRs by 12/31/14
Message 5 of 24
webhopper
Moderator Emeritus

I think that you made a mistake when you applied when you failed to give or emphasize the apartment number. I look at this as a positive omen that they are trying to get a card in your hands despite having an incomplete address on file. How is the mail carrier supposed to deliver if there isn't an apartment number listed?

If you don't feel as though your mail is safe why not get a PO box? I just don't understand how this is amex's fault. Maybe I missed something?

FICO 9:
Filed Chapter 13 on 6/1/2017 after job loss. Discharged 6/1/2022.

Goal: Gardening!

Message 6 of 24
LS2982
Mega Contributor

@webhopper wrote:

I think that you made a mistake when you applied when you failed to give or emphasize the apartment number. I look at this as a positive omen that they are trying to get a card in your hands despite having an incomplete address on file. How is the mail carrier supposed to deliver if there isn't an apartment number listed?

If you don't feel as though your mail is safe why not get a PO box? I just don't understand how this is amex's fault. Maybe I missed something?

Totally agree.

EQ FICO 548 3/3/16
Message 7 of 24
gettnthere
Established Contributor

@LS2982 wrote:

@webhopper wrote:

Totally agree.

I Concur with these two.

Starting Score: EQ 609, EX 633(Fako), TU 700
Current Score: EQ 699, EX 758, TU 733
Goal Score: 720 across the board
Garden Club Member-GC Challenge: App free since 10/31/12 Smiley Wink
Message 8 of 24
jsucool76
Super Contributor

@LS2982 wrote:

@webhopper wrote:

Totally agree.

He didn't say it was amex's fault, he said he knows it isn't, but he doesn't want amex to get pissed at him for calling all the time to check up on his card. Haha. 

I had the same issue with capital 1, my original card after PC never got here, so they overnighted me a card which never arrived, and then another card which did, then I recieved all 3 cards within 3 days, which triggered an automated fraud alert on my account. I knew something was wrong because Cap1 never overnights anyone anything Smiley Tongue 

Good luck, I'm sure you'll get the card on monday, and then you'll be in love with it. 

Edit: My bad, I didnt see the previous post where he said "I don't know if amex is the right company for me..." Smiley Tongue so disregard that first part. Smiley Very Happy 

Message 9 of 24
steve23111
Frequent Contributor

@HenryJumbo wrote:

I went form being excited I got a new card, to waiting a week or so for a card that never came, then finally waiting for a overnight card that never came. Forgive me if the circumstances created doubts in my mind as to whether or not Amex is the right company for me. As I stated before my gf had the same issues with a card that never arrived and having to overnight a new one.

Really?!  You're wondering if AMEX is the right company for you because UPS is having trouble getting your package to you?

That's like having multiple packages from Amazon get lost in the mail while stuff you order from Target.com always makes it and then saying Amazon is a bad company because the Postal Service sucks.  Pardon me, but I'm having a really hard time understanding this logic.

Trust me, AMEX is going to keep doing whatever they have to do to get your card to you.  If it came down to it, this is the one company that would probably go as far as to have a private courier hand-deliver your card to you if all else failed!

Message 10 of 24
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.