Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Amex - blocked from CLIs?

tag
Jamex
Frequent Contributor

Re: Amex - blocked from CLIs?

Thanks for the added data. My letter did also say that "time with American Express is too short," so based on what was shared above maybe about one year is the magic number for a new borderline member having "proved" themselves.

I'll cool it till August and see what happens then. Thanks again for the insight.

Starting score 3/30/13: 570s across the board
As of 2/17/18: EX 802 | EQ 809 | TU 811

CSR 34K | Freedom 21K | Marriott 24K | Alaska 21K | Citi Dividend 5.9K | Barclay Rewards MC 15K | DCU Visa 10K | AX SPG 24K | AX PRG NPSL | AX Green NPSL | AX EDP 10K | Cap One Venture 20K | SFCU Visa 15K | Barclay Arrival+ 24K (AU) | BankAmericard 13.5K (AU)

Message 11 of 22
Anonymous
Not applicable

I have an ED that was approved for $1,500 in August and have only tried once for CLI (Denied due to last AMEX CLI being too recent) I didn't really mind as it is mostly a vehicle to retain my MRs after PRG is closed.

I did and still do have two C/Os and a few lates on an Auto loan on my EX and took my BSP from $5,000 to $24,000 from May of last year to January. However, that card is now 7 years old and had never applied for CLI for the first 6 years of having it.
Message 12 of 22
CreditCuriosity
Moderator Emeritus

Wondering if I will get denied on my ED next month when I try for 30k.. Got declned on my 1k Delta which was my first Amex after 27 days..  Reasons Deliquiences and lack of experience with Amex got card on 11th of Dec I believe and tried for CLI like Jan 6th or something.. Once declined I applied for the ED and got a 10k CL, go figure?  Anyways, curious if they will approve or the 30k CL this coming month cause I still have baddies, but I have test the spend abilit button only up to 25k and was approved...  Haven't tried the 30k, does that mean anything about my chances, no clue.. I honestly will be suprised if I get approved due to baddies on report still and a decent limit along with lack of time with them, but stranger things have happened.  Roll the dice is coming up sooner then later for my 90 days.

Message 13 of 22
Anonymous
Not applicable

I have an Amex blue that I've had since Jan. 2008. Was my very first CC as a college student, $1,700 limit.

No baddies on my report, perfect payment history, utilization sometimes on the higher side (but under 30 percent lately) and I've never successfully gotten a CLI from them. Tried about a month ago and got the 7-10 notice and later got a letter with the reason being my FICO score being too low. They said it was 704 when they pulled. I'm not fussed over it, but they definitely aren't generous—or at least haven't been to me. 

Message 14 of 22
Anonymous
Not applicable

This thread provides a fascinating contrast to all the threads from peeps getting CLI's before the ink is dry on their cards.

Message 15 of 22
stagefoursurvivor
Established Contributor

I have been declined for the same reasons mentioned 3X since opening TE $800 11/14 & Delta $1K also 11/14 & Declined for BCP/approved PRG 1/15 Despite my CRs & scores improving, Ex 690 on the BCP AA letter.

Major derog, 30 day late mortgage 3/14, no COs, no PRs, nada. However, when approved I had a Goodyear card & BankOne as my only CCs.

SD for amex

11/14/14 Total CL $1,100; 6/30/15 Total CL $180K
Message 16 of 22
Anonymous
Not applicable

TE CLI denial for insufficient history with Amex. $800 limit. Tried for the 3x CLI.

Message 17 of 22
OnTheRebound
Established Contributor

@Jamex wrote:

I was approved for the EveryDay card last July, with a 1K limit at 12.99% with 0% for 15 months.

I tried for the 61 day CLI and was denied. Tried again December, denied. Tried again last week, also denied.

Each time the denial letter cites the fact that my CR shows a seriously delinquent account and an unsatisfactory payment history. Which is true - but was also true when I was approved. I have an unpaid C/O for 19K (auto repo) from 2010, and a paid C/O from 2010. I also have a student loan account showing several 120-lates from 2009. So far my payment history with Amex is perfect, PIF every month. Also haven't had any other credit issues since 2010.

So, is it common for Amex to approve someone with derogs, but then keep them frozen at a low CL? If so, does anyone know how long they're going to keep me on such a short leash? Is this something I should try to recon? As you'll see in my signature I have much better limits elsewhere, but it would be nice to be earning MR points.

Thanks as always for any insight

I don't mean to sound harsh, but, that's why they approved you with a low limit. With all those negatives I'm really surprised Amex approved you to begin with. They were comfortable starting you at a low limit. I would consider myself lucky. I would suggest you apply for a CLI every 6 months and see what happens. I wouldn't be hopeful tho unless Amex lowered their standards even more than I thought. You will be happy to see what a clean report will do for you in 2-3 years when your negs disappear from your reports.

Doubting Debbie 

Amex BCE $11.1 / Citi Diamond Preferred WMC $12K / Citi Double Cash WMC $3.8K / Comenity Total Rewards Visa $2.5K / Citi Home Depot $5K / AU- Amex BCP $12K / Chase Freedom Visa $11014.00 / PenFed Platinum Rewards Visa Signature $6K / GE Lowes $10K
myFico Scores on 10/03/2014
Eq 798 / Exp 811 / Trans 814
CCT Fico 08 on 1/3/16 - Trans 786 / Exp 793 / Eq 797
Message 18 of 22
takeshi74
Senior Contributor

@Jamex wrote:

Each time the denial letter cites the fact that my CR shows a seriously delinquent account and an unsatisfactory payment history. Which is true - but was also true when I was approved.

You're trying to compare getting approved for X with getting approved for X+Y.  You qualified for the former but not for the latter.  Simply getting approved in the first place doesn't mean that you'll be approved for a CLI down the road if your credit doesn't meet the criteria for the CLI.

If you keep getting denied and haven't addressed the reason(s) for denial then why are you expecting different results?  CLI's are based on credit.  They're not just handed out in exchange for time.

We always recommend addressing derogs first as they tend to have significant impact and hold one back.  If you have not already done so then hit the Rebuilding subforum to see what you can do about them.  Then request your CLI's once your reports have improved.

Message 19 of 22
Anonymous
Not applicable

yeah, you may be waiting awhile.. when I had credit crash in 2008 amex cancelled my 30k limit account and gave me a $500 account as a consolation prize..  (which was nice as they never closed it despite the hundreds of thousands in debt that defaulted subsequently..) but, despite paying on time everytime for the last 6 years Ive never seen a CLI..  thinking I might need to just apply for a new card from them.  I feel Im on some kinda fixed credit line don't cancel don't raise card.

Message 20 of 22
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.